P&O Arvia K307 - Not the experience we were expecting

gary_w

7 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

that’s my gripe about Arvia and iona. I can’t do a cheap fare as I really don’t want those cabins so I have to pay more. 

I would take pot luck on a deck 8 cabin. It's the deck 5 balconies that we don't want. If we were on deck 8 and looked looked into our cabin they may get a surprise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

this is what I’ve already said. I am usually topless and I don’t think that most would be happy walking past that! Also we like adult time when the kids go to the club so deck 8 would be a nightmare for everyone 😂 

Don't forget there's a total lack of refinement on Arvia

People use the hot tubs for "adult time" in open sight

So you've absolutely nothing to worry about

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

So just to get this straight 

Arvia is having issues

Iona seems to be fine? 

maybe it it just as molechip said and it’s the first year that’s different? 

I’m on iona soon and the again in December so hoping no issues on her. Arvia I have to wait till February for an idea but the deposit is paid so no going backsies now. 

I think I might be annoyed if they have changed the kids club but we shall see. 

I don’t see why anyone’s opinion can’t be taken into account. We could all sit for the same meal and I probably won’t like it and lots of you will, doesn’t mean I am wrong it just means that’s my opinion. 

also with regards to the virtual queue then I would actually count that as queuing time. It’s not cocktail time for me to sit and wait for an hour. 
Also it doesn’t always work to adjust when you go into a queue. For example takes an hour one night and your left sat there trying to entertain two kids- the kids dont just sit still in a bar for cocktails for that long, they get bored then annoying. 
If I jump into a queue the hour before and then go in the shower do make up blah blah then they will call me in the first 10mins when I am no where near ready. 
Luckily for us we managed last cruise on iona to not have massive waits, the night we did we went to keel and cow etc. 

Also I would eat in the buffet more often if their ship layout was better. It gets very cramped in that little square.  

With regards to virtual queuing we didn't have to wait at all on Iona we joined the virtual queue as we were leaving our cabin. By the time we had waited for the lift and headed for the restaurant our phone buzzed to say our table was ready. So no wait or hanging around at all hope it will be the same on Arvia in September.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

When we were on Iona in Jan for 12 nights the Olive Grove menu did not change at all. On enquiring we were told it was a permanent menu.

It definitely changed on Arvia. We ate there twice and had a different meno on the second visit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

With regards to virtual queuing we didn't have to wait at all on Iona we joined the virtual queue as we were leaving our cabin. By the time we had waited for the lift and headed for the restaurant our phone buzzed to say our table was ready. So no wait or hanging around at all hope it will be the same on Arvia in September.

Still the same on Iona, a little hiccup at the start but that was probably my fault. With so many places to eat we did not use the MDR very often. When we did it was very good.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sandancer said:

It definitely changed on Arvia. We ate there twice and had a different meno on the second visit. 

As I understand it the Olive Grove on Iona is different to that on Arvia. On Arvia it is a MDR as is the American Diner. Which is why the menus change on Arvia and not Iona possibly.

14 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It certainly was for us. Sometimes we barely made it out of the cabin but to be fair we did only eat in the MDR 3 times in 16 nights. We loved the Glasshouse and Keel and Cow and of course the Epicurean. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sandancer said:

It certainly was for us. Sometimes we barely made it out of the cabin but to be fair we did only eat in the MDR 3 times in 16 nights. We loved the Glasshouse and Keel and Cow and of course the Epicurean. 

Exactly our experience. Only we did not join a queue until we were in a bar having a drink. Didn’t want to be called too soon. 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, davecttr said:

The pre cruise booking restaurants may have another problem. The Olive Grove has 2 menus which change every 3 days. i have booked twice but might end up with the same menu but there is no way of knowing which menu in advance.

Does the cycle start at the beginning of the cruise? if so I have booked the same menu twice.

What about the odd days at the end of the cruise. Does this mean the 3 day cycles are for the whole season?

When we were on Arvia in January The Olive Grove and 6th Street Diner menus changed every 7 days.

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2023 at 9:00 PM, Megabear2 said:

Plant based is indeed popular but I can't recall any other "mainstream" cruise line, airline or hotel that has decided to drastically reduce its offering to the bulk of the UK population.  Currently it is an extremely small percentage of the population standing at 7.2% following an entirely meat free diet while 86% regularly include meat in their diet with the remainder being pescatarian etc.

The key number is not how many people sometimes eat meat (which may well be the 86% quoted), but how many ONLY eat meat, since only these are "barred" from a plant-based venue.  Surveys suggest 17% are "meat only" diners, so 83% might use a plant-based restaurant.  It works both ways: Epicurean has an extremely poor choice for vegetarians and possibly none for vegans, so it doesn't offer a "universally available option" either.  However, I suspect what problems there might be with MDR capacity are not down to either Green & Co or Epicurean.

I liked the dining options on Arvia and enjoyed most of the food on our recent transatlantic crossing.   For the formal nights I did the chef’s table twice, the second wasn’t good as most of the food was cold. Last formal night I did Olive Grove which was excellent. We also used Epicurian, 6th Street Diner, Keel & Cow and MDR. A mixture of pre cruise bookings and using the app never had a long wait, longest was 30 minutes for Keel & Cow but there were 19 guests before us when we joined the queue. 

I enjoyed Arvia for the number of dining options and would definitely cruise again albeit out of school holidays 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Teddy123 said:

The key number is not how many people sometimes eat meat (which may well be the 86% quoted), but how many ONLY eat meat, since only these are "barred" from a plant-based venue.  Surveys suggest 17% are "meat only" diners, so 83% might use a plant-based restaurant.  It works both ways: Epicurean has an extremely poor choice for vegetarians and possibly none for vegans, so it doesn't offer a "universally available option" either.  However, I suspect what problems there might be with MDR capacity are not down to either Green & Co or Epicurean.

I'm not disagreeing - I actually eat very little meat myself so a vegetarian option is fine for me. I do not think it right that Epicurean doesn't offer good vegetarian options for - I generally have fish when I eat there.  I would not however seek to eat in a totally vegetarian environment anymore than I eat in steakhouse. I guess I'm saying in my opinion all venues on a ship should offer everyone an option, particularly when there appear to be problems accessing restaurants.

At the risk of reopening the prawn problems my most favourite food on any ship is Raw on Five on Celebrity ships as I love all shellfish and crustaceans.  However this too (possibly cost was a factor) was not used very well, but my friend and I were in our element.

I intend to try Green & co on my Avia cruise next month as the recommendations are quite numerous.

48 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

We are on Arvia 30th April so will keep you posted MB . Not sure if green and co will be an option but i will try to give some feedback when we are in ports as there is no way on gods earth i will pay for wifi package.

I intend to try Green & co on my Avia cruise next month as the recommendations are quite numerous.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Please do, if only for a lunch to sample it. The food was really well presented and, as Brian Potter would say, it was a taste sensation.

If you like your seafood, I suggest giving a couple of items from Mizuhana a go while you're in there.

• Thanks 1

I am currently on this cruise, currently in Sunny Barcelona

Yes the MDR booking is a bit of a nuisance in that you could have to wait 45 mins to an hour (not always this long) after booking but no big deal in the great scheme of things, once you realise thats the way it could be

Its great with all the different venues to eat, although some are extra.

I dont like the booking of shows etc, I see no need for it, same on all ships now I believe.

All in all we just get on with it and enjoy our holiday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

no. Deck 16 at the front.  Don’t think I can get away with it. We will see. 

Hope the senior crew and captain can keep their eyes on where they're going then.  Aren't their quarters up there with the bridge?

Edited by Megabear2
  • Haha 1

On 4/7/2023 at 3:36 PM, gary_w said:

It seems to me that someone decided on a workflow system for the app without actually going on the cruise.  In theory it is right, but in practice it doesn't work, the workflow needs tweaking.

I hope they have sorted it now, but a trip on Iona last September the workflow was completely wrong.  We were told to join a virtual queue for breakfast if we wanted it in the MDR, as we usually do.  We were second or third on the queue.  Having not been called for an hour we went down and sat near the library and watched people who arrived in person were forming a queue and they were being let in as places became free.  In effect, joining a virtual queue guaranteed you would be the last to be served.  So we joined the physical queue,  got in and served and had almost finished breakfast when the phone buzzed: they would let us in. By now it was about 5 minutes to the breakfast closing time.

Surprisingly enough, we did not use virtual queuing for breakfast again.

Edited by WestonOne

24 minutes ago, TigerB said:

If, by traditional P&O cruisers, you mean the forties and above, you would be surprised. That age range is the demographic of a members only club near to us. (Not a member BTW).

Although the average age on Aurora and Arcadia is usually around 75 🤔

• Like 1

Have got arvia booked for aug with the family. Just a quick question for those in the know.

Are the swimming pools fresh or salt water?

When are shows and resturants available to book?

As for the show/food bookings we just sailed on MSC Virtuosa and you cannot book shows till the day before..so in evening shows would pop up and you book. The speciality shows and main reaturant you have to go to a desk and they can book the date and time you want. The following days planner is not available till the evening before. Annoying as i like to plan ahead (military here) lol.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Have got arvia booked for aug with the family. Just a quick question for those in the know.

Are the swimming pools fresh or salt water?

When are shows and resturants available to book?

As for the show/food bookings we just sailed on MSC Virtuosa and you cannot book shows till the day before..so in evening shows would pop up and you book. The speciality shows and main reaturant you have to go to a desk and they can book the date and time you want. The following days planner is not available till the evening before. Annoying as i like to plan ahead (military here) lol.

When were on Iona Feb/March we could book speciality dining and some entertainment two weeks before. It was very easy and hopefully it is the same on Arvia.

8 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

When were on Iona Feb/March we could book speciality dining and some entertainment two weeks before. It was very easy and hopefully it is the same on Arvia.

Only a few days of entertainment seem to be available to book before hand at the moment. You can book speciality dining but obviously can’t use your OBC if you book before you board. You can also book the MDR/Olive Grove/6th Street Diner two weeks before but only on times up to half 6, which suits us as we always eat early.