Finally, a New Mediterranean Itinerary!

lackcreativity

5 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Not sure I understand this.  Friend is on one of these cruises and apparently ship only sails through the Straits of Gibraltar but does not stop.  Actually I think this is a missed opportunity.  Many on our Azamara cruise especially enjoyed the WW2 tunnels.

One of the many highlights on that cruise was Seville.  Absolutely wonderful.  We sailed up the Guadalquivir River and docked for an overnight right in the heart of the city.  

Sounds like another vote for Azamara over Viking.

We should check the Azamara roll calls and see what they all say about Viking in reverse.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Unless you are like us, when our Viking cruise had Casablanca cancelled, so we went to Gibraltar instead (on the Viking Sea).  We had a couple excursions.  And yes, the monkeys were amazing, and very forward.   Enjoyed Gibraltar very much - fantastic little place!

Since the new Malta & Morocco itinerary has yet to sail, I assume this was an alternate itinerary. With four sea days on this new 16 day cruise, I am already leery about port cancellations (especially Tunis and Algiers). Can you recall why Casablanca was canceled on your cruise? 

In spite of my initial enthusiasm regarding this new cruise, we have yet to book it. The mostly winter time frame and the price in comparison to similar cruises on another line have left me unable to make a decision. Still, it is our favored Viking and I love the overnight in Valetta. Not sure what we will eventually decide.

Edited by lackcreativity

On 4/9/2023 at 4:11 AM, Jammy Bun said:

Gibraltar is OK

During our TA last November we passed through the straits of Gibraltar at around midnight. Probably 150 or so of us gathered in the Explorers Lounge and on deck to watch and listen to commentary by one of the onboard historians. Fascinating. So amazing to think that it is Europe on the right and Africa on the left. IMG_4485.thumb.jpeg.0effe8cfe1bf80f469237343bd7923d2.jpeg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wine-wine-wine said:

During our TA last November we passed through the straits of Gibraltar at around midnight. Probably 150 or so of us gathered in the Explorers Lounge and on deck to watch and listen to commentary by one of the onboard historians. Fascinating. So amazing to think that it is Europe on the right and Africa on the left. IMG_4485.thumb.jpeg.0effe8cfe1bf80f469237343bd7923d2.jpeg

We also passed at midnightIMG_6555.thumb.jpeg.44a9674a1ece051283bd28ed37ee5fb6.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We also passed at midnightIMG_6555.thumb.jpeg.44a9674a1ece051283bd28ed37ee5fb6.jpeg

We passed in the wee hours, but my husband got up at the expected time and stood on our balcony for quite some time. Nothing! Come to find out they no longer light the cliff over night because it disturbs the monkeys' sleep. Oh well.

17 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

We passed in the wee hours, but my husband got up at the expected time and stood on our balcony for quite some time. Nothing! Come to find out they no longer light the cliff over night because it disturbs the monkeys' sleep. Oh well.

And here I thought it was to save money on lights and help the conservation effort. I guess helping the monkeys helps the environment as well.

I would love to sail through during day light hours so that I can actually distinguish between the landmasses and the sea. Sailing through at night was eerie, especially after they turned off the lights.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

. Can you recall why Casablanca was canceled on your cruise? 

In spite of my initial enthusiasm regarding this new cruise, we have yet to book it. The mostly winter time frame and the price in comparison to similar cruises on another line have left me unable to make a decision. Still, it is our favored Viking and I love the overnight in Valetta. Not sure what we will eventually decide.

Yes - COVID shutdowns in Morocco.  This was Dec 2021.

We are going to try again March 2025 on the Buenos Aires-Barcelona Southern Crossing.  Will be following the Southern Crossing boarding today March 17 in Barcelona to see if they stop at Casablanca.

PS - regarding the Malta Cruise - I am also leery of North Africa, if nothing else than that the world changes constantly and who knows what will happen (war, famine, internal disputes, etc) to some countries/areas.   But for a $25 deposit and payment 6 months out, it's kind of like a stock option on the price we paid.  (Like an option to buy the cruise at a low price, expiring at the 6 month timeframe).  Cruise is 2026.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We are going to try again March 2025 on the Buenos Aires-Barcelona Southern Crossing.  Will be following the Southern Crossing boarding today March 17 in Barcelona to see if they stop at Casablanca.

We are scheduled for BCN-BA this October. We will also keep you posted. I’m dreading the Brazil visa, however!

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

PS - regarding the Malta Cruise - I am also leery of North Africa, if nothing else than that the world changes constantly and who knows what will happen (war, famine, internal disputes, etc) to some countries/areas.   But for a $25 deposit and payment 6 months out, it's kind of like a stock option on the price we paid.  (Like an option to buy the cruise at a low price, expiring at the 6 month timeframe).  Cruise is 2026.

We are scheduled on this next March (2025)🤞.

4 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

We are scheduled for BCN-BA this October. We will also keep you posted. I’m dreading the Brazil visa, however!

You might want to start processing the visa now.  

Just now, millybess said:

You might want to start processing the visa now.  

I’ll see if they allow it this far in advance! Most want it to be within a couple of months of when you’re traveling. I took copious notes from CC when you all did it. Still dreading it! I think it’s required beginning in April now, but Mercury is retrograde for the first three weeks so I don’t expect this roll out to be any smoother for them than the last!

Just now, CCWineLover said:

Yikes!!

Yes, right.  It isn't fun and apparently the process hasn't changed much.  I've stayed in touch with people on our January cruise.  We all started applying around the same time -- the beginning of December.  Some still don't have them.

There are US State Department level 2 (heightened alertness) warnings for Morocco, Algeria, and Libya. The Morocco country warning notes demonstrations at US consulates in the wake of the war in Gaza. And the usual warnings against traveling near the southern regions, terrorists said to be plotting kidnappings, etc

There's a worldwide alert for Americans on the same subject

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Booked this cruise yesterday, 3/27/24, for the 3/6/26 sailing.  We've not been to any African ports yet, so hope these three happen.  Any thoughts from previous cruisers are appreciated.

Our next Viking cruise is our 1st. river cruise, Paris to Zurich, beginning 4/16/24.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, babanous said:

Our next Viking cruise is our 1st. river cruise, Paris to Zurich, beginning 4/16/24.

We did Zurich to Paris in 2018 and loved it. We also did the Switzerland extension, which was the best Viking extension we’ve ever been on. Crossing Switzerland on the Glacier Express was a great experience. Book it, if you can.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne