Depth of over bed cabinets on Silhouette

cangelmd

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

We have 10” deep cubes we use in the bins and there isn’t much extra depth as I recall.

Thanks, in YouTube videos of the cabins, my guesstimate was a bit under 1 foot in depth, so 10 inches being a tight fit makes sense. Gives me a place to start.

2 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Thanks, in YouTube videos of the cabins, my guesstimate was a bit under 1 foot in depth, so 10 inches being a tight fit makes sense. Gives me a place to start.

Just curious? What are you planning to store in them that is so critical? Our grandson wouldn't fit😂

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

Just curious? What are you planning to store in them that is so critical? Our grandson wouldn't fit😂

Going on a B3B this summer, about 30 days onboard in the same cabin. The husband is already complaining about using the overhead bins as he calls them. It’s tough for me to even reach, so he will likely use them. From previous cruises, I know they are just deep enough for socks and underwear to go astray - I thought a small bin might help corral items?

Open to any suggestions about maximizing storage space - other than take less clothes, that’s a no -brainer, but only helps so much!

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

Going on a B3B this summer, about 30 days onboard in the same cabin. The husband is already complaining about using the overhead bins as he calls them. It’s tough for me to even reach, so he will likely use them. From previous cruises, I know they are just deep enough for socks and underwear to go astray - I thought a small bin might help corral items?

Open to any suggestions about maximizing storage space - other than take less clothes, that’s a no -brainer, but only helps so much!

My husband has no problem storing shorts, casual shirts  and sweatshirts in the overhead bins. Of course, I usually have to refold most of it when it comes out of his suitcases to ensure everyting does fit. 🤩

We have 10” X 10” collapsible bins from Target.  DH used one for undies and socks.  I used 1 for work out clothes.  Since we switched to packing cubes we use them instead and get cubes for his and her undies, another set for each of our workout clothes, and another for swim suits and cover-ups. This leaves the limited draw space for T-shirt’s, shorts & capris.

We have always folded our tees and polo type shirts and they fit very nicely. Hadn’t thought about using the folded bins. We love that overhead space. Unfortunately when they revolutionized the cabins they will disappear, big mistake!

1 hour ago, realnice46 said:

We have always folded our tees and polo type shirts and they fit very nicely. Hadn’t thought about using the folded bins. We love that overhead space. Unfortunately when they revolutionized the cabins they will disappear, big mistake!

Good news, unless you are talking suites, the overhead lockers remain in the cabins after the revolution. In fact, excluding suites, everything remains except for the "soft" furnishings and general colour scheme. No new electrics, no usb points, no power by the beds, no shower cubicles. New mattresses (very comfy). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Keep half your clothes in your cases under the bed and swop them after 15 days.

Assuming you are Elite use your full free laundry allowance.

We did 60 days (5xB2B) on Solstice and the boss (Anita) is not a light packer.

Never understood cubes, hangers or folding bins as they just seem to compound the problem by adding to the weight.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, the penguins said:

Keep half your clothes in your cases under the bed and swop them after 15 days.

Assuming you are Elite use your full free laundry allowance.

We did 60 days (5xB2B) on Solstice and the boss (Anita) is not a light packer.

Never understood cubes, hangers or folding bins as they just seem to compound the problem by adding to the weight.

Yeah, well, I could do the “ pack in a carryon” thing, but I would need to lose 30 lbs and have very good luck at spilling things on me.

I hear what you are saying about the weight, that’s what I think as well. I’ve considered a few other organizing helps, but rejected all of them because the bulk/weight outweighs the benefit. DH will not want to store things under the bed (I know him), but I’m putting some overflow stuff in our carryon. My thought with the bins is they would prevent items from going to the back. If I use the overhead cabinets, I will need them because I can just barely reach.

We always take a couple of the fold up bins and they work and fit fine.  We also take very small foldable boxes to put on our nightstands to hold things like any medication, glasses, tissues, or other small miscellaneous stuff as the design geniuses also took away the drawers in the nightstands.

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

Yeah, well, I could do the “ pack in a carryon” thing, but I would need to lose 30 lbs and have very good luck at spilling things on me.

I hear what you are saying about the weight, that’s what I think as well. I’ve considered a few other organizing helps, but rejected all of them because the bulk/weight outweighs the benefit. DH will not want to store things under the bed (I know him), but I’m putting some overflow stuff in our carryon. My thought with the bins is they would prevent items from going to the back. If I use the overhead cabinets, I will need them because I can just barely reach.

The #1 helpful hint is to REWEAR clothes. For example, a men's button collar shirt can be reworn 2x before washing. This cuts down on the amount of clothes you need to bring. No one cares that you wore the same shirt to dinner three days ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

The #1 helpful hint is to REWEAR clothes. For example, a men's button collar shirt can be reworn 2x before washing. This cuts down on the amount of clothes you need to bring. No one cares that you wore the same shirt to dinner three days ago. 

Even better as the Poster is doing 3xB2B most of the passengers will have gone after the first 10 days and again after 20 so they will never know how many times you have reworn anything - just avoid other B2B's. 😂

2 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Perhaps you should give your DH the choice of: storing things under the bed or in the overhead lockers and see which he prefers. 

9 hours ago, the penguins said:

Good news, unless you are talking suites, the overhead lockers remain in the cabins after the revolution. In fact, excluding suites, everything remains except for the "soft" furnishings and general colour scheme. No new electrics, no usb points, no power by the beds, no shower cubicles. New mattresses (very comfy). 

19 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Perhaps you should give your DH the choice of: storing things under the bed or in the overhead lockers and see which he prefers. 

So happy they kept overhead storage.

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Rewearing goes without saying! I normally take 6-7 days worth of clothes, plus one spare outfit. Taking a little more this time because the climate is going to be variable. Maybe 10 days worth. Seven days worth is three to five outfits plus chic night. Really depends on how hot will it be and how much I’m going to get off ship

Not about the over bed bins but the regular wardrobe.

I recently noticed in a cabin review video that there are no selves at all.

Only option is to hang your stuff. I was also thinking to pack a foldable store like this one.

What do you guys think?

For the over bad storage definitely need some foldable cubes for smaller items.

image.png.803262e8ca3cc9125735c7ea4dd01a0a.png

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Actually, the TV is now larger and the “revolution” did away with the vertical open shelves that used to be next to the TV.

Hadn't noticed the TV being bigger but we only use it for checking our onboard account.

The boss commented on the shelves but then we thought you only got the shelves in the "bed near the bathroom" layout and not in the cabin we had (prefer) of "bed next to the window" - seems we were wrong.

Biggest disappointment was the continued lack of some usb points especially next to the bed. We had the same cabin pre and post revolution and the broken sliders to the shower doors had not been fixed. Pre we were told "will be fixed during the revolution" post "couldn't be fixed as the spares are no longer available".

Frankly the only meaningfull changes are to the suites and the suite facilities including the conversion of the top sun deck to suite guests only. Cellar Masters has changed to Craft Social (now more of a sports bar).

The Internet lounge has been moved to allow for a few extra cabins.