Viking Ocean wine lists

claranda

On 4/9/2023 at 4:02 PM, oskidunker said:

The wine list prices are very reasonable. Plus they do not add a gratuity like some cruise lines. The best deal is the Roederer crystal champagne for $160.00. It is double that at Total wines in my area. They have Tattinger for $85 which is only about 50% higher than here. 

the white wines by the glass were decent. I did not care for the red, although for $8.00 there is a nice French Syrah and a Spanish Tempranillo   . We would never buy the beverage package as we don't drink hard liquor. 

they have Silver Oak, Duckhorn  Merlot and Rombauer Chardonay along with Montellena. 

Yes, you are right the wine prices are quite reasonable especially the European labels but the California labels seem high especially the Silver Oak Alexander Valley cab at a whopping $210. The normal retail is just $89 but cheaper at some wine shops. Keep in mind the Viking wine list has no vintage listed which to me is important if you are a serious wine drinker.

I was just looking at the old list against the new to see what the main changes are.

They used to offer 17 whites by the glass, now 13. Have dropped the three French, two of the four Italians and two of the three USAs; the Aussie Chardonnay has also gone. Have added two from Spain and one from Germany(!). 

They used to offer 15 reds by the glass, now 13. Have dropped three of the five Italians and the single bottles from Portugal, New Zealand, Australia and S Africa. Have added two from Spain and one from Chile.

I’m not making any judgements on this, although I’ll miss the Italian Primitivo! I think Viking is still offering a good range of wines for SSBP purchasers. And I think it’s nice to see the list changing, in hope that the changes are not based only on price but on quaffability….

• Like 2

I love the unaccustomed joy of a good glass of champagne (not Viking's label) before dinner and a good port after, plus I enjoy experimenting with premium whiskeys that I wouldn't normally have on hand at home.

I am put off by the $8 price of "premium" wine. The bottle price of these wines ($30) suggests that the store price would be $10. But to be fair to Viking, they are in the $15-$20 range. But is that premium? No.

We'll probably get the SSBP. But I'll wait until I get on board, to voice my outrage that one cannot actually receive an $18 glass of "premium" wine on the SSBP.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, austinetc said:

I love the unaccustomed joy of a good glass of champagne (not Viking's label) before dinner and a good port after, plus I enjoy experimenting with premium whiskeys that I wouldn't normally have on hand at home.

I am put off by the $8 price of "premium" wine. The bottle price of these wines ($30) suggests that the store price would be $10. But to be fair to Viking, they are in the $15-$20 range. But is that premium? No.

We'll probably get the SSBP. But I'll wait until I get on board, to voice my outrage that one cannot actually receive an $18 glass of "premium" wine on the SSBP.

Our thoughts exactly.  The only way to receive what I would describe as a "premium" (not just an alternative) glass of wine from VO is to buy a bottle.  The benefit of the SSBP would be a discount on that bottle.  I did the math on one of the French whites on the wine list and the discount would bring the price down to about $10 a glass--but that is on top of the $25 per day per person for the SSBP.  Which pretty much wipes out any savings--unless you are drinking the number of cocktails, after-dinner ports, etc. to equal out the cost of the SSBP.   (As others have mentioned, the SSBP on Viking River--at least as of December 2022 before Viking came out with its "enhanced" SSBP--was more user-friendly to wine drinkers.  We could select any bottle from the wine list under $75 and it would be opened and poured by the glass.)

SSBP is an option that some will find very beneficial.  Others not so much.  It is an individual decision, of course.

19 minutes ago, loriva said:

Our thoughts exactly.  The only way to receive what I would describe as a "premium" (not just an alternative) glass of wine from VO is to buy a bottle.  The benefit of the SSBP would be a discount on that bottle.  I did the math on one of the French whites on the wine list and the discount would bring the price down to about $10 a glass--but that is on top of the $25 per day per person for the SSBP.  Which pretty much wipes out any savings--unless you are drinking the number of cocktails, after-dinner ports, etc. to equal out the cost of the SSBP.   (As others have mentioned, the SSBP on Viking River--at least as of December 2022 before Viking came out with its "enhanced" SSBP--was more user-friendly to wine drinkers.  We could select any bottle from the wine list under $75 and it would be opened and poured by the glass.)

SSBP is an option that some will find very beneficial.  Others not so much.  It is an individual decision, of course.

Can we assume that if you buy a bottle and drink one glass that they will save it for the next meal?

I  have bought wine at European ports and brought the bottles on board. NO fee or corkage charge to have it served to you at dinner. I bought a wonderful bottle of Spanish CAVA my favorite sparkle wine. Shared it with our new friends at dinner in restaurant. Later at another port and wine tasting, my new friends ordered a case of Cava and had it shipped to CA. They  loved this wine. 

I dropped off my wine in afternoon at restaurant and said I wanted it chilled and be served at our table that evening. 

Another  options for  wine drinkers on Viking. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MELSMOM47 said:

Can we assume that if you buy a bottle and drink one glass that they will save it for the next meal?

Have not done so on V.  On other lines, have purchased bottles, unfinished at dinner.  Next day lunch, at another venue, have asked for that bottle, and waiter would find and serve it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

I  have bought wine at European ports and brought the bottles on board. NO fee or corkage charge to have it served to you at dinner. I bought a wonderful bottle of Spanish CAVA my favorite sparkle wine. Shared it with our new friends at dinner in restaurant. Later at another port and wine tasting, my new friends ordered a case of Cava and had it shipped to CA. They  loved this wine. 

I dropped off my wine in afternoon at restaurant and said I wanted it chilled and be served at our table that evening. 

Another  options for  wine drinkers on Viking. 

Great option for wine-producing countries like France, Spain, or Italy.  What about ports on the Viking Homelands itinerary?  Germany produces wine, but it is not the forte of the Nordic countries.  (Beer is another matter, and we will be seeking out and carrying on some local brews.  Which will suit DH very well for lunch or a pre-dinner drink and even dinner if he doesn't like the wine of the day offerings.)  And imported alcohol in those countries has always been very highly taxed.  Are there duty-free stores in the port terminals that offer good prices?

But, yes, it is another option.  And another reason to make me wonder if buying the SSBP on VO is for us.  Again, individual choice and I'm grateful for information learned on the board.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, loriva said:

Agree with all the above.  IMHO, the SSP has dramatically gone downhill in 2022/23 - likely another of Viking's post-COVID cutbacks.  For us it seemed the variety disappeared and they were out of stock on 50% of the wines listed.  Always the answer was supply issues.  Perhaps that is true, perhaps just an excuse.  We are going in June out of NYC.  Hard to believe this excuse will fly again.  They also reduced the types of varietals (like Cabs, Zins, Merlots) in favor of lighter reds and non-oak Chards from what they had before.  And pretty much eliminated California wines in favor of Europe.  (That may also be due to different itineraries seem to have some different offerings).   In some cases, they moved bottles from the SSP to the purchase by bottle category (such as the Penfolds Shiraz-Cab) so you'd have to pay for it even with SSP.  Kind of a bit sneaky.

That all being said, we always try to bring our own bottles onboard whenever we can - that way we can control things and drink what we enjoy!

• Like 4

Supply issues could be valid, if the are only using their preferred wine/spirits ship Chandler.  On Sea, Dec. 2022, no Knob Creek was onboard.

(Here in Philly, state controlled and owned liquor stores have been out of my preferred Bourbon, Ezra Brooks, for many many weeks.)

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

• 5 months later...
On 4/12/2023 at 5:38 AM, loriva said:

The Viking website says "Our newly enhanced Silver Spirits Beverage Program is now $25 USD per night.  The package includes:
Any drinks up to $18.00 including premium wines by the glass, cocktails, & aperitifs
Now includes house champagne by the glass
Premium wines by the glass, cocktails and aperitifs
Selection of applicable wines change twice per cruise
30% discount on premium beverages above $50.00 USD
50% discount for premium tasting events
The Chefs Table premium wine pairing
Wide range of upgraded selection of whiskeys & whisky’s
Wide range of upgraded wines and spirits
Soft drinks & juices
--Both guests in a stateroom must purchase the package for the full length of the cruise for it to be valid.  A 15% service charge per person is included with the price."

Viking mentions "premium wines by the glass" three times (if you count the Chef's Table pairings) in their description of the SSBP.  But what I'm seeing on this thread is that premium wines by the glass no longer exist--there are only the ordinary wines by the glass.  Is that a correct conclusion?

The SSBP also notes a 30-percent discount on premium beverages above U.S. $50.  But all of the bottles of wine on the list have a notation that they are "not included" in the SSBP.  So, if you buy the French white for $51 it is that price (plus 15-percent gratuity?) not $35.70 (30-percent discount, again not sure if 15 percent is added to that as gratuity)?

Still trying to decide if the SSBP is for us or not.  We bought it on our Viking River cruise as it offered us a much-better selection of wines.  VO does things differently, however, and not sure the SSBP now offers the possibility of upgraded wines.  (Based on the photographs of the wine list, it doesn't even appear one can buy a premium wine by the glass independent of the SSBP.  I do understand Viking allows one to bring wine on board and enjoy it without a corkage fee.)  Would appreciate comments, please.