Returning to the same ports multiple times?

Another reason we love to cruise is the friends we have made along the way who turn up on other cruises either by choice to surprise you or they just had it booked and forgot to tell you . Never ever yet been on a ship on any cruise line where new friends weren't made or old friends reacquainted with ❤️❤️

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh come on!!!

Surely we can all agree that cruising is the least stressful way of travelling? 

You can always find a quiet spot, always plenty of food choice, and surely the most sociable holiday environment you will ever find... 

If you don't like the entertainment, don't go... 

I have a very anxious, unwell wife, and even she does not get stressed cruising... 

I accept that where we live is a massive bonus for us, but that aside, we still find cruising so relaxing. 

Andy 

Quite. Every time I see the massive queues and delays at Dover, Eurotunnel or airports I am relieved that the only time that we go abroad now is on a cruise ship! I find embarkation and disembarkation to be a faff, and also tender ports (which we try to avoid now) but, beyond that it’s a very relaxing holiday and, as you say, particularly accommodating for those with health or mobility issues. 

• Like 9

So much depends on where you live,we are not far from Liverpool but don't expect to see a ' proper' cruise terminal there in our lifetime,Southampton is far enough away to be off putting,our last journey back from there by coach was Good Friday a few years back & it took 7 hours,hoping for better next month!

Had a bellyful of airports & airlines so we do travel by ferry more often,never had any real problems with that,including one sailing from Birkenhead to Belfast where our cabin was huge,King Size bed included,bigger than some cruise cabins we have had!😎

I must say that I mostly find my flying less stressful than the build-up and travel to a cruise and I fly London to Malaga several times a year.

Of course, the fact that I never have any hold luggage and my carry-on is a small, lightweight, under-seat size does make it a tad easier...😂

My most recent trip however was a little stressful when the first airport bus didn't turn up and the second one ran late...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

No different to a cruise. The only changes I have ever had have been on cruises.

You said P&O repeat ports. Now you are saying the only changes I have ever had, have been on cruises.

If you are referring to changes since covid yes most cruise lines are changing the way they operate but most cruise lines visit the same ports every year. Since P&O started sailing from Malta a few new ports have been introduced or have not been visited in so long. 

It puzzles you why people complain and praise. Well people complain for all different reasons want things to improve or just to try and get something for nothing etc. Maybe they go with P&O again because they offer itineraries they like especially since they offer no fly all year round on some ships who knows.

“You know you will arrive where you paid to go.” Small chance that can change you could still end up in Malta and up in a different hotel not to your liking for what ever reason. Yes P&O change ports but all cruise companies do that for what ever reason. 

• Like 2

I cruise with P&O a lot 3/4/5 cruises a year, 6 this year as it happens. I tend not to complain but I am told I am wrong??? I enjoy repeating ports I have been to say Funchal many times but I have not spent as much time there as if I had a two week fly holiday there. I enjoy all my cruises but apparently I should not according to some. How odd.

Iona is still brilliant

• Like 6

My opinion is that Malta is a marmite sort of place.  We spent 2 weeks there on holiday and hated it to the point that we considered getting a flight home after the first few days.  It is the only place that I have been to that I would never visit again.  I had a work colleague who bought a holiday home there because she and her partner loved it.

We are all different so why criticise other people's opinions of the place.

• Like 3

My Parents loved Malta,10 years ago looking for somewhere different for my Birthday in March we gave it a go,,the temperature was in the 70's,the locals were still in hats,coats,gloves,etc while we sunbathed,beautiful hotel,found some great places to eat & drink but overall the place didn't do it for us.

even in March it seemed crazy busy,terrible traffic,buses are cheap but jam packed,we tried it again the following year,same result.

Thinking about airports in our American road trip days we made the airport the start of our holidays,arriving around 5 or 6am for our flight,bacon butties,sherry trifle & pints of Guinness to start the day,wonderful,doesn't feel so relaxed at airports these days!

Having been cruising for many years with both P&O and Fred O, up until recently the only ports missed (2 of them) were because of weather.  Ajaccio and one other.  Now it seems ports are changed 9 months before you sail and that is peculiar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The reviews and your reply haven't made me think this is a must do holiday tbh

I would rather carry on cruising than try this place for now

No doubt a cruise we go on will stop at Malta at some stage and will take a look at what the  island has to offer

Where's the best place(s) to visit on the island from a port excursion ?

In your opinion?

As I have never done a cruise to Malta I have no idea about the excursions. The ancient sites dating back many thousands of years are interesting as are the glass manufacturers. Mdina is a great place as well.

• Like 1