Art classes

chatuga

Not art classes, per se, but the social hostess will often run craft classes. On our Dec Splendor cruise, there were classes for making pop-up greeting cards, bead bracelets, needlepoint zipper pouches, and maybe some others I didn't pay attention too. All materials were provided.

• 8 months later...

Not on any cruise I have done…. 200+days…including Grand voyages and WC. Have seen small groups get together on their own for painting sessions in one of the lounges on long cruises.

Needlepoint kits (free) are available on every ship, every cruise. The Social Hostess usually leads/helps (if needed) the group on sea days. Information will be listed in Passages.

9 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

I have read quite a few posts on WC live reports about art/craft classes such as needlepoint or scrapbooking. Maybe some watercolors. 

Yes there are various crafting classes held on most sea days on all cruises. They usually do fun things with all supplies provided same for needlepoint.

Sorry I was thinking painting classes for some reason. I was told by the CD they did not

do painting classes because of space needled and mess created, but that was some time ago.

1 hour ago, Brownie54 said:

Needlepoint kits (free) are available on every ship, every cruise. The Social Hostess usually leads/helps (if needed) the group on sea days. Information will be listed in Passages.

Needlepoint?  Sure hope these are available on the Grandeur next month.  If anyone on a current Grandeur sailing could confirm, I’d be mightily grateful!  

4 hours ago, Older Sister said:

Needlepoint?  Sure hope these are available on the Grandeur next month.  If anyone on a current Grandeur sailing could confirm, I’d be mightily grateful!  

I was on the Grandeur last month and can confirm they had needlepoint kits - finished my project on the plane ride home. They are Stitch-in-Zip kits and some are specially made for Regent. Usually the first opportunity to obtain a needlepoint kit is during the first sea day and it will be listed in Passages. They usually have an assortment which can include scissor cases, passport covers, eyeglass cases, coin purse and cosmetic cases. For longer cruises, they also have pillows. If you google Stitch-n-Zip, it will provide you an idea of what is available. Depending when the new supplies come in, the selection is either great or very slim pickings. I have been on a couple of cruises where there was no needlepoint since someone forgot to order the kits but since Grandeur is sailing in and out of Miami, I don't expect that to be a problem.

7 minutes ago, NYC-London said:

I was on the Grandeur last month and can confirm they had needlepoint kits - finished my project on the plane ride home. They are Stitch-in-Zip kits and some are specially made for Regent. Usually the first opportunity to obtain a needlepoint kit is during the first sea day and it will be listed in Passages. They usually have an assortment which can include scissor cases, passport covers, eyeglass cases, coin purse and cosmetic cases. For longer cruises, they also have pillows. If you google Stitch-n-Zip, it will provide you an idea of what is available. Depending when the new supplies come in, the selection is either great or very slim pickings. I have been on a couple of cruises where there was no needlepoint since someone forgot to order the kits but since Grandeur is sailing in and out of Miami, I don't expect that to be a problem.

Oh hurray!!  Thanks so much for your response!  Our first day is a sea day, so you can be sure I’ll be checking this out as soon as I get on the ship.  Love working on those little kits.  

I actually like needlepoint, but I would love to see a paint and sip activity in the afternoon when they close down the one side of the buffet. I have suggested this numerous times, but alas we are stuck with the same activities, that have been going on for  30 years.  

31 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

I actually like needlepoint, but I would love to see a paint and sip activity in the afternoon when they close down the one side of the buffet. I have suggested this numerous times, but alas we are stuck with the same activities, that have been going on for  30 years.  

I have been on many cruises where a specific passenger has offered to "teach and host" a class in a craft they are well versed in, sometimes having brought enough supplies for a large crowd, and each time the answer is no! I do not understand why - it seems like a great idea to me, esp on cruises with lots of sea days. I recall being on a cruise with a woman who was an expert in origami, her creations have adorned Christmas trees at the White House and she offered to teach some classes. The cruise director vetoed the idea - she did informally teach some of us and it was great fun.

38 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

I think that would be a great idea!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NYC-London said:

I have been on many cruises where a specific passenger has offered to "teach and host" a class in a craft they are well versed in, sometimes having brought enough supplies for a large crowd, and each time the answer is no! I do not understand why - it seems like a great idea to me, esp on cruises with lots of sea days. I recall being on a cruise with a woman who was an expert in origami, her creations have adorned Christmas trees at the White House and she offered to teach some classes. The cruise director vetoed the idea - she did informally teach some of us and it was great fun.

Perfect, idea.   Not expensive either and some of the men may be interested, unlike the needlepoint!  

23 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

Perfect, idea.   Not expensive either and some of the men may be interested, unlike the needlepoint!  

On our Grandeur cruise, the social hostess hosted a number of craft activities, including card making and bracelet making - in the  bracelet class there were a number of men, all seemed to be making holiday gifts for their granddaughters and they were all having a good time. The current social hostess is quite good and lots of fun.

• Like 1