Luggage question

Leo-the-fox

Frist time cruiser here. Will be on Eurodam to Alaska this summer. I have a question regarding the size of suitcases. There will be three of us. Should we do one big suitcase plus one carryon size or three carryon ones are better? I know there are drawers underneath the bed, are they big enough for bigger suitcases? BTW, we don't need to fly. Thanks!

Hello @Leo-the-fox and welcome to Cruise Critic!  Are you three adults or some children?  If all adults I would take three so it's easier to pack for the individuals and you can share the weight of pulling them.  The cases will fit under the beds, not in the drawers.  The drawers under the bed usually have the extra linens and bed luggage covers that the Cabin Steward takes care of.  If you have a small child who can't manage luggage then consolidate their things into a larger one.  For carryons, they need to fit through the security scanners at the port.  If they are too big, they will need to be checked with a porter.

I love the Signature class ships (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam) although I've only been on NA!  

Any other specific questions that you can't find answers to in the postings already here on CC?

Have a great time on your first cruise!  It can be very addictive!!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

Another suggestion regardless of which suitcase size you choose, do cross pack. In other words make sure that some of each others clothing (if possible) is in each suitcase, in case one gets lots you will all have some clothes.

Another tip is to join your roll call, there will be tips and chats from your fellow cruisers, pls see “find your roll call above” as we don’t know which ship you will be on so we can’t provide the correct link.
Rosalyn

• Like 3

These suggestions are all great - that's why I love Cruise Critic!!!  I agree if all adult travelers, do three smaller suitcases and cross pack.  I also keep our CPAPs and a small rolling carry on with us - pack things I don't want to check but also don't want to lug too much around the ship until our cabin is ready!!  Think iPad & charger, meds, jewelry, bathing suit if warm climate cruise, light sweater if cool climate cruise, small sunscreen container - essentials/valuables.  This approach is also helpful at the end of the cruise.  I leave our regular luggage outside the door on the last night for pick up and keep the small roller/carry-on bag for essentials/valuables along with the CPAPs to debark the next morning.  Hope this helps... enjoy your cruise!  The luggage with four wheels that swivel 360 degrees have saved my back and shoulders immensely in all forms of travel!!!!  Great invention

• Like 1

If you fly, or take the train it is wise to invest in the most lightweight luggage you can find so you are not penalized on their 50 pound weight limits, that comes with shipping the extra weight of the suitcase itself.

I like IT brand as the lightest weight - just big empty bins with rigid sides and zipper closures - rolling or spinners. I pack them to the gills, and still do not go over the total 50# weight limit Yes, their largest size still stows under the HAL beds. 

• Like 1

Are there 3 of you in one room?  If so I would suggest a maximum of 2 hard sided suitcases as one can fit under each side of the bed.  I would suggest something like a backpack or soft sided bag for the 3rd person which can go inside one of the other bags;

Roy

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone responsed so quickly! I love this community so so much! We are three adults in one stateroom, hopefully not too crowded, as we are taking my college graduating daughter for the trip. I did join the roll call but there is almost non traffic there, at least not yet. I think we just gonna take one small suitcase as the carryon, then another big one leave to the porter. Thanks to everyone again, I feel so welcomed here!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leo-the-fox said:

I did join the roll call but there is almost non traffic there, at least not yet. I think we just gonna take one small suitcase as the carryon, then another big one leave to the porter. 

Hi Leo! Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Alaska rollcalls are often quiet -- DNK exactly why! 

You can also leave carry-on sized suitcases with the curb-side porters, but be sure you have something (daypacks) with you for any valuables or medications -- anything you could NOT be without. Very occasionally a suitcase will be delivered to the wrong cabin and take a while to get to you.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Eurodam last May to Alaska and we decided to over pack knowing that the weather could swing dramatically.  Between coats, boots, backpacks, gowns, suits, and 4 outfit options per day, we ended up taking a very large (70 lbs filled) suitcase, a medium, and a carry-on size, along with a big duffle.  The suitcases nested nicely into each other and there was no problem storing it under the bed.  We used the duffle for dirty clothes which saved space in the hard cases for all of our souvenirs, although we did have many items shipped home so we didn't have our hands full in port.  

Funny enough, the only day we wore our coats was on the bow at Hubbard Glacier. The wind was brutal.  It was over 70 degrees in Juneau on our port day and only needed a light fleece on our glacier dog sled adventure.  

If your small bag can nest into a medium or large that is what I would do.  There is so much closet space to spread out clothes that you don't really need to worry about accessing your bags during the cruise but you can use that space for shoe storage, backpacks, etc instead of having the space taken by 3 small bags. 

• Like 1