Sure ain’t no dress code!

roupa

7 minutes ago, nimbex1970 said:

There are tablecloths all over restaurants in the high-dollar Armonds circle restaurants in Sarasota and the city of Sarasota Florida, where shorts are the norm and dinners are casual.  Such a reference is moot.  We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota and the men wore shorts. As experienced travelers, we and most others know how to dress for the venue @Tatka.  We just shall agree to disagree. Tablecloths does not make a venue, ick.. found in 3* places that I wouldn't venture in.. 

I think most of this is regional....Tatka lives in the northeast, which does tend to be a little more formal than Florida and other southern states.  That being said, dressing for dinner has become a lot more relaxed even here in NY, especially in the more touristy areas.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I think most of this is regional....Tatka lives in the northeast, which does tend to be a little more formal than Florida and other southern states.  That being said, dressing for dinner has become a lot more relaxed even here in NY, especially in the more touristy areas.

I'd bet that weather has a lot to do with that.  I'd also bet that a lot of those same folks that live in the N.E. when they visit S. Florida or Hawaii or S. Texas or cruise to the Caribbean, or or or. they wear shorts to high-end restaurants.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I live in N/E Pennsylvania and last year on Ovation I was in jeans the whole time regardless of the restaurant.  Packed carry on only and selected what would be most needed.  It isn't the way I go every cruise, but when I pay for dining...as long as I'm not in swimwear, I dress as I please.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cannotfathom said:

I live in N/E Pennsylvania and last year on Ovation I was in jeans the whole time regardless of the restaurant.  Packed carry on only and selected what would be most needed.  It isn't the way I go every cruise, but when I pay for dining...as long as I'm not in swimwear, I dress as I please.  

Yes the itinerary is also relevant….you’ll see more casual attire on a Caribbean cruise than a European cruise. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Bottom line. If your concerning yourself with what others have on, you are missing your own vacation.

When you are saying somebody is concerned, you are hugely overestimating everything. 
I like how people add “police” as if they are were haunted by anyone with demands.

People are expressing opinions. Not unreasonable opinions as they match what cruise line thinks about dress code 

Repeating here:  

IMG_0362.jpeg

13 hours ago, vjmatty said:

I do live in Northeast.

However outside of my travels and cruises in Europe, NE/Canada and some others most of my almost 60 cruises were to Caribbeans, Bermuda, Bahamas. While I do see some shorts in MDR even on lines like Celebrity,  people in shorts are minority in MDR. 
I doubt it’s because “their wives make them” (I’m sure this happens too) or they are afraid of Maitre D or me 🙂 . All ships I’ve sailed on were very well air conditioned so it’s not like it’s too hot to reach restaurant (unlike it could be on land).

10 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

We go on cruises and expect to see others to enjoy their vacation however they please.  Our expectations continue to be exceeded. 

Are you sure everybody does whatever they really want on cruises or is this just a nice slogan?

We don’t expect everything people enjoy to be allowed during cruises. I’m sure you can think of many things like that too.

Edited by Tatka

20 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Are you sure everybody does whatever they really want on cruises or is this just a nice slogan?

We don’t expect everything people enjoy to be allowed during cruises. I’m sure you can think of many things like that too.

Nope…whatever they choose. As far as potential consequences, that’s also up to them to to weigh, and remains out of our control.  Our vacation is for us to enjoy, not control others.   Really quite simple.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 3

C'mon people, after a certain age no one wants to see our hairy old legs while they are eating. 😱

Cover up and wear something that covers your legs right down to the ankles! 

Oh, and that goes for the ladies too!  😊

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Nope…whatever they choose. As far as potential consequences, that’s also up to them to to weigh, and remains out of our control.  Our vacation is for us to enjoy, not control others.   Really quite simple.

I have several friends who are nudists. I will pass your wise words to them. They shouldn’t expect any types of control from others, right?

No more oppression!

Edited by Tatka
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I have several friends who are nudists. I will pass your wise words to them. They shouldn’t expect any types of control from others, right?

No more oppression!

Sadly, reading requires a bit of comprehension as well. Try again, including  the ‘potential consequences’ this time. Selective reading/comprehension seems to be your strong suit, but give it a try anyway. 

• Like 2

Just now, bucfan2 said:

Sadly, reading requires a bit of comprehension as well. Try again, including  the ‘potential consequences’ this time. Selective reading/comprehension seems to be your strong suit, but give it a try anyway. 

My reading comprehension is perfect. OTOH people in topics like this complain about some dress code police spoiling their vacation. They shouldn’t right?

On 4/13/2023 at 3:58 PM, pcur said:

@PGHProducer I feel your pain getting stuck on a ship with a family member who is a real pill.

Reminds me of the family cruise we took in 2008.  My younger son and the love of his life FINALLY were engaged after knowing each other for 10 years.  The family was (still is) ecstatic.  He had followed her half way across the country to be with her while she furthered her education:  gave up his job, family, everything to be with her.

On the family cruise my MIL is sitting across from me in the Windjammer, and blurts out, "I guess there's no excitement for X and Y about getting married, because they've been living together and there's no 'mystery' left".

I wanted to punch her, but she was 85, and I don't hit people.  I left the table and got more food.  She died last November 30th, than goodness...................

I’m sorry, maybe I am misinterpreting your post but you are happy your MIL passed?

18 hours ago, RD64 said:

In some places in Europe it is still very proper - my relatives would never think of wearing shorts in public unless it was at the seaside. Most definitely never to any appointment, office, store, and never to a restaurant. At home tablecloths on the table always. Eating in public? Not everyone enjoys American fast food -our local McDonalds with “McDrive” lasted barely a year. 

Of course there are still some places that are very proper. In every country there are still randome places that are very proper. But they are very specific like a 5* restaurant. There are still a few restaurants that require coats but they are in the minority these days. But general dress code are much, much more relaxed than they were decades ago.

No public eating? When is the last time you were in Europe?  The streets are lined with tables and chairs with people eating outside in public. When in Europe we often decided the restaurant we want to eat at by strolling down the street and seeing the food on people's plates. When something looks particularly good, that is the restaurant we eat at if there is not a long wait. 

Even as a child, street vendors were and are still very popular. Frites in Belgium with a huge dollop of mayo is one of my favorites. Raw herring in the Netherlands by the sea. Grab it by the tail and down it goes. YUM!  Brezels in Switzerland and Germany,  Every country in Europe has street vendors with amazing food.

No shorts at the store? How old are your relatives?  Again, when was the last time you were in Europe? Not for several decades it seems. The dress codes in Europe among the younger generations make us Americans (continent) look like prudes from the puritan ages.  Here is a random google picture of a French grocery store. Looks pretty westernized with lots of shorts in view. *Note, this was the first picture in the search. I did not go picking and choosing a picture that had shorts in it.

french supermarkets

Edited by cured
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

C'mon people, after a certain age no one wants to see our hairy old legs while they are eating. 😱

Cover up and wear something that covers your legs right down to the ankles! 

Oh, and that goes for the ladies too!  😊

Well thank goodness there are tablecloths so you don’t need to see!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/13/2023 at 7:42 PM, Tatka said:

About 45 out 57 of my cruises were with 7 American massmarket cruise lines to Caribbean/Bahamas/Bermuda. I’m pretty familiar with what people wear. 

Must not have spent much time in Bermuda or researched the customs there. 

• Bermuda is the only place in the world where there is national attire for men. Millions of people who have not yet visited Bermuda may think they know of Bermuda Shorts. But only the dress Bermuda shorts – what male Bermudians and professional business newcomers from all walks of life wear for business attire and cocktail parties – are the real Bermuda shorts, worn three inches above the knee. 
Edited by cured
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, cured said:

Must not have spent much time in Bermuda or researched the customs there. 

• Bermuda is the only place in the world where there is national attire for men. Millions of people who have not yet visited Bermuda may think they know of Bermuda Shorts. But only the dress Bermuda shorts – what male Bermudians and professional business newcomers from all walks of life wear for business attire and cocktail parties – are the real Bermuda shorts, worn three inches above the knee. 

With really Bermuda shorts you are supposed to wear over the calf socks.  I used to have Hong Kong in my sales territory and played golf at Royal Hong Kong.  Was told by my host that after golf we would go to dinner and I could wear long pants or Shorts - but shorts required high socks.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

With really Bermuda shorts you are supposed to wear over the calf socks.  I used to have Hong Kong in my sales territory and played golf at Royal Hong Kong.  Was told by my host that after golf we would go to dinner and I could wear long pants or Shorts - but shorts required high socks.  

And for even more formality, a jacket with the socks. I have seen rants on here about men wearing shorts with a suit jacket and tie. Oh my, shorts.  Just pointing out that shorts are acceptable in Bermuda where the poster said she had traveled extensively and does not see shorts.

38 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

It’s fun to see how men wearing shorts can ruin someone else’s vacation. Just like the pinnnacle pin and people wearing lanyard. 

Hilarious. 

Of course if they were wearing a pinnacle pin and lanyard without any other clothes on it might  ruin a lot of other cruisers vacations. 😱