Live(ish) from the MSC Virtuosa 14/04/2023

insidecabin

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

insidecabin was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We are following @Lena11033 onto the Virtuosa tomorrow

Virtuosa out of Southampton is relatively close for us no flying.

The prices have been very good this year, dipping under £300(tax and grats included in UK) for a week with beverage(premium extra) a £170 top up on some dates.

That's 7n AI $590pp  Solos have been a bit more and kids go for the price of the kids beverage package(or free) no taxes or grats to pay so they fill the ship on holiday dates.

This one got close to the low and fitted a gap so why not. 

Decided to reset and reload the booking in the app,  now all the info about beverage packages have appeared which is good.

We drive so tend to over pack, those inside cabins are a bit tight on storage so this time we are cutting back a bit, aiming for one case each and not too many extras this time, no theme night stuff as that gets used once.

Weather is still unpredictable so need the warm underwear, fleece and rain gear, we have done this route a few times so if bad we do tend to stay on and beverage package.

Hoping they get the ship in on time(6:45) and disembarkation of the ~3k UK Passengers is smooth enough for then to start processing embarkation at 10:00 which has been the target most cruises out of Southampton.

(You can often delay getting off till close to 10:00 so get the full 7 days on the ship)

Last time approaching 10:00 there were only a few that got there early waiting in the terminal, once security opened the YC and day visitors were done first short delay, moved fast after them, on the ship 10:15  buffet still serving breakfast.

No internet this trip the 2 sea days will be voids, 

planned Itinerary is a little different for this one from the others so far

Day Port Arrival Departure
FRI 14/04/23 Southampton, United Kingdom --:-- 20:00
SAT 15/04/23 AT SEA --:-- --:--
SUN 16/04/23 Hamburg, Germany 07:00 21:00
MON 17/04/23 AT SEA --:-- --:--
TUE 18/04/23 Zeebrugge, Belgium 07:00 18:00
WED 19/04/23 Cherbourg, France 09:00 20:00
THU 20/04/23 Le Havre, France 09:00 21:00
FRI 21/04/23 Southampton, United Kingdom 08:00 --:--

if the French strike again it will be become a mystery tour.

No fixed plans as we were on in March.

Hamburg on Sundays  there are some things open but need the shuttle we have done the Miniature world(Sold out anyway).

Zeebrugge maybe Blankenburge or Ghent, did Bruges last time and took the tram to the Ostend  time before.

Doing finals at home before heading down to Southampton for an overnight

to be continued...

Following 😎

We are onboard for the 5 nighter in May, know what to expect as it will be our 3rd time onboard, got an OV this time for a good deal with drinks . 

I know our cruise will be busy as it is the BH weekend and school hols but the itinerary is different to previous short runs. 

Have a fantastic time .

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Thanks 1

I have said this a few times, MSC with the Virtuosa out of Southampton have done more to get new Brits cruising in 18months than the other lines have done in a decade

Loads of new cruisers and people are repeating.

Anyway another run down with no holdups even on the M3 past Winchester where it is 50mph and the roadworks have closed lanes.

That's 2 times now in 6weeks, sometimes you can add 30-60mins with M25 and M3.

We are in the Ibis this time with their cruise and park, closest off port parking through dock gate 10 with a view of the Horizon terminal from the front rooms.

Room and parking çheaper than ABP and  only 7min walk maybe 10min if we drag the bags, usually pop round in the car and drop them at the hole in the wall.

Horizon terminal

Holiday inn is a close second(10min) if they open dock gate 8.

Now sat in our regular pub and will be going for an Indian meal shortly.

Feel much more relaxed being walking/taxi from the ship rather than travel morning of cruise.

Weather has improved a lot been warm and sunny this afternoon.

There was a storm yesterday with very high winds that had a ship leave 7hours late last night.

Ended up bed relatively early woke at 6am, 6:15 this is what I like to sea out the window(Horizon terminal is the curve roof with lights)

Virtuosa arriving 11 April 2023.

We were ready in plenty of time but the weather had turned to rain needing taxi to the terminal, made the mistake of not checking they would meter so £10fixed should be £5-£6.

9:55 Dropped bags, around 70 waiting.

10.01 security opens.

10:09 on the stairs to check-in

10:14, waiting area

10:23 boarding started

10:27 on ship(long air bridge).

10:33 Sitting down in the buffet for breakfast and first beer.

As we went through security the line was much shorter and going faster than new people arriving to have less waiting time 10:15(ish) would have beeen good knock 10mins of the waiting times, similar to the trip in March when we're a few mins early.

They don't rush people off the terminal was packed with disembarking passengers and the day people, loads of coaches still lined up.

This is the last 7n multi embarkation cruises, there are a few short booze cruises before the summer season start propped 30th April

One think MSC does great in Southampton the early embarkation not many lines you can be on for breakfastIMG_20230414_103342.thumb.jpg.bb256ac355d9c340236f2af954fd89e4.jpg

After breakfast went to check out Masters as that is one of our regular hangouts, shout out to Marvic working the early shift.

This cruise we are going to try the restaurant for breakfast and lunch as we normally just buffet unless in YC.

Big shock for today was the new Masters food menu, the list was small and reasonable(~€4) in March.

Not sure what to say...(will try a better photo or find a download)

IMG_20230414_113207.thumb.jpg.6416b2b08e8bc7cf5a3564154334e3d6.jpg

Time for lunch...

We love interporting on MSC and the fact you can stay on as long as you want and even have lunch onboard before leaving the ship if it fits with our onward travel , we  keep our bags with us and settle down somewhere comfortable .  Can't remember what happened last year on our departure  on our closed loop Fjiord cruise out of SOU except when we arrived at the port  it was a zoo with people queuing up to get onboard . Thankfully we were looked after by shoreside who took great care of my hubby who has mobility issues . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

We love interporting on MSC and the fact you can stay on as long as you want and even have lunch onboard before leaving the ship if it fits with our onward travel , we  keep our bags with us and settle down somewhere comfortable .  Can't remember what happened last year on our departure  on our closed loop Fjiord cruise out of SOU except when we arrived at the port  it was a zoo with people queuing up to get onboard . Thankfully we were looked after by shoreside who took great care of my hubby who has mobility issues . 

I think the port dynamics change once the change to home port Southampton.

More Brits coming by car and more come early, can get compounded if the ship is late, last Oct the cars trying to park blocked the port out onto the main road at 9:30 am we drove off and came back a couple of hours later, carpark was still a mess with people lining up in the carpark.

we dropped bags and park off site(7min walk back) straight in the terminal and it was fine.

The carpark was pretty busy this morning as last week was a school holiday cruise, 

Late afternoon hardly any cars.

Need to find the current pax count suspect quite a bit lower than the 6k(ish) last week.

• Like 1

Not felt any ship movement so checked Southampton VTS they have use leaving 21:30 now, no idea why.

All our previous dining have been 19:30 or anytime, gone for early got 17:30.

Not sure we like it, done eating by 19:00 and a long evening ahead, with the late dinner you finish, optional show and then into the Galleria party.

Upside is no problems with seating anywhere.

Had not noticed we had been given blue cards but did notice after dinner the app had us as new passengers.

Trip to guest services to get the voyager account reconnected so we can book the diamond meal.

Something else new for us was an hour in L'Atelier for a couple of cocktails.

IMG_20230414_210701.thumb.jpg.b89f8fd86be7460f1c1a261f198da51a.jpgIMG_20230414_210731.thumb.jpg.3211a92aa7541de4425dba228c7d85e2.jpg

Back in Masters now for beer with the other downside of eating early, hitting the snacks.

Edited by insidecabin
Add dining to make sense
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

Hooray you are on the same cruise as my sister and mother, so I am following along with you 🙂

Hoping embarkation went smoothly today, as it is night there now and I am in California. Bon voyage and thank you for doing this! 

Super smooth early, not heard about later.

I think it was a steady stream with odd coach load.

Approaching 9:30pm still cruise ship early.

Tell them to look out for me, very easy spot tomorrow star wars T.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sidari said:

Inside Cabin ... If you are passing or nearby to the Spa would it be possible for you to ask how much the Hot Stone Massage is currently?

Thanks.

I can grab this week's ship is changing back to £ and may have new prices I heard they may be different for the short trips and the proper summer season(bar maybe spa).

Will ask.

• Like 1

@insidecabinThank you for posting.  I'm so grateful to the lovely people who take the time to  share their impressions and daily activities.  Very generous of you.  I'll be sailing the Virtuosa in June (solo) so these postings are of great interest to me.  

15 hours ago, treesah said:

@insidecabinThank you for posting.  I'm so grateful to the lovely people who take the time to  share their impressions and daily activities.  Very generous of you.  I'll be sailing the Virtuosa in June (solo) so these postings are of great interest to me.  

Yes - do agree. Had a week in Jan., & thought the 3 nighter on May 26th with premium drinks just too good to miss. 

Curious about 'prices reverting to pounds'. Never had that on MSC (4 other cruises some years back). Is that confirmed now for the summer...will make life easier !

I love L'Atelier bar , great for people watching .

We eat early,  go to the mid timed show, a couple of drinks in either Sky lounge or l'Atelier afterwards , get a seat outside the pub for when it is time for the Galleria party. It  works  for us and never ever go to bed with full stomachs 😆.  

Sea day today and close enough to land to get 4g data going to try an update.

Although the rest of the  evening looked a  long by the time we hit Masters it did speed up.

Sat listening to Dario till gone midnight.

We do pop out to the Galleria show, often includes a bathroom break, but been there done that so many times end up coming back inside.(same sings same order)

Galleria seemed a lot quieter than some other trips(if you can see floor it's quiet).

OH was suffering from the alcohol, not a big drinker and we have both got to the age it makes us sleepy, we decide to part ways OH went to bed and as part of the do something different I headed to attic for a couple of late night beverages.

Place was really busy dance floor and bar inside full, lucky there was space at horizon bar outside, even though pretty cold the shelter and forward motion kept the warm air from inside close it was surprisingly pleasant.

Spent some time people watching plenty having a good time, some first timers were discussing the drinks package and how as a group you could just have some take the package and share, remember the package on this trip was £170-£200 depending where you booked not worth the risk getting caught.

As many know the app has built in chat and the oh messaged at 2am.

Not a "where are you" but a continuation of the diamond status  saga, turned out the new card we got after dinner did not work the room OH did  2 trips to guest service and ended up with  crew attending the cabin to fix it.

I gave up at 2:30 my key worked first time saga over, quick pee and meds was out for the count.

2 hours ago, Over Land & Sea said:

Thanks for taking the time for all the updates, we will be boarding after the end of your cruise for our first MSC voyage. Any tips for first timers to the Virtuosa would be gratefully received.

If you have the drinks package, the first rule of drinks package  is pace yourself.

The next one will most likely be a 3 day booze cruise.

Keep an eye on the ship schedule then  if ship is not delayed take a punt on 10am boarding and hope not too many decide to do the same.

5 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Do you know if they serve a sit down lunch in the dining room on embarkation day?

Normally they do as it's a regular port day for others.

MSC have had all special restaurant open every lunch

Once on UK homeport with single embarkation day it could change.

We are in Hamburg today a changeover day(5n to Southampton) here are the restaurant times.

IMG_20230416_102643.thumb.jpg.369a7f1c16d97a00b6c5703bff6f3301.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2023 at 9:45 PM, sidari said:

Inside Cabin ... If you are passing or nearby to the Spa would it be possible for you to ask how much the Hot Stone Massage is currently?

Thanks.

This is the currentEnglish spa sheet.

IMG_20230415_231527.thumb.jpg.002b901413d937b3e9e40f8d50fa2746.jpgIMG_20230415_231608.thumb.jpg.43ec4b0369ab90ee56d24c33ffb16ef0.jpg

Got this last night when closed if I pass when open will ask about £ pricing going forward.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Over Land & Sea said:

@insidecabin  Thanks for the heads up, always try to pace myself but usually end up lapping myself, we've been given 5 embarkation times on various emails so have printed the one that suits us best (midday) and going from there. Have a great time.

Never had a time checked, they also don't ask for health questionnaire.

We just print the ticket they scan the barcode and give it back.