Radiance dry dock

This class isn't expected to be updated in a measurable way.  

As required to continue operating these ships will dry dock for routine maritime maintenance below the waterline.   While in the shipyard they will repair things like broken windows, tile floors, carpet, leaky pools, etc.

It's unlikely cabins will be updated.  It's also unlikely they will receive new venues or features.  With around 40% of the internal volume compared to new ships there just isn't the real estate to do much in guest spaces.  

What they are today is likely what they will be in 2024.  

It won’t be updated, but the crew is outstanding.  Capt. Marek is a fun Captain.  They put on a show day 5 or 6 in the evening with some of their talented crew members.  Make sure to go early and get a good seat.  We were on the Radiance for 3 weeks and went to the show each week.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We will be on Radiance for our Panama Canal cruise next October and cannot wait.  Been on her before, but been a long time.  Will for sure make sure to go to the show with the crew, we love that stuff.

We are on the Oct Panama Canal cruise also. Back in the day, ( 1980's early 1990's) the cruise staff always did shows. With the smaller ships 18-35,000GT you got to know your fellow passengers and the crew very well. We actually sailed on The original RCCL The Song of Norway (which was 18,000 GT). in 1991. Ken Rush was our Cruise Director and he was fabulous.  

17 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

We are on the Oct Panama Canal cruise also. Back in the day, ( 1980's early 1990's) the cruise staff always did shows. With the smaller ships 18-35,000GT you got to know your fellow passengers and the crew very well. We actually sailed on The original RCCL The Song of Norway (which was 18,000 GT). in 1991. Ken Rush was our Cruise Director and he was fabulous.  

We have been on cruises with Ken.  He was great.

We heard from Capt Marek that several "internal" changes were planned for the drydock. Samba Grill (Brazilian Steakhouse) is coming out, not sure what to replace it. WiFi gear MAY get upgraded since they have Starlink up top, but legacy APs and switches below. Don't recall anything else he called out.

• 2 months later...

Hi. Found this post so bumping it to ask if there's been any updates on the September drydock. I looked at deck plans that appear to become effective on 9/29 and Samba grill is still there. 

Has anyone heard anything, like at recent Captain's Corners?

On 4/14/2023 at 4:48 AM, Tlbecker1 said:

It won’t be updated, but the crew is outstanding.  Capt. Marek is a fun Captain.  They put on a show day 5 or 6 in the evening with some of their talented crew members.  Make sure to go early and get a good seat.  We were on the Radiance for 3 weeks and went to the show each week.  

I understand Captain Lumen (??) will be back in late September..

3 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Others have said Captain Marek will be back for the Canal transit in October. 

Captain Marek joined Radiance in L.A. last month....I recall him saying he'd be elsewhere for the eastbound Canal sailing.

I hope I heard incorrectly

Edited by STEVE-O

8 minutes ago, STEVE-O said:

Captain Marek joined Radiance in L.A. last month....I recall him saying he'd be elsewhere for the eastbound Canal sailing.

I hope I heard incorrectly

I know he boarded 5/6. 10 weeks is 7/15, Rumen board and next 10 weeks takes it to 9/23.  Canal transit is 10/7. 2 weeks to play with. Someone else said Marek would be back for transit.   Guess we'll just have to wait.

Dining options just became available for my 10/2024 Panama Canal cruise on Radiance and Samba is still bookable for that far in the future but I am curious that if they are removing the restaurant (as others have mentioned in rumors) then I guess they would just refund those purchases? 

24 minutes ago, Rock1t said:

Dining options just became available for my 10/2024 Panama Canal cruise on Radiance and Samba is still bookable for that far in the future but I am curious that if they are removing the restaurant (as others have mentioned in rumors) then I guess they would just refund those purchases? 

Correct. On Both Oct 2023 and 2024 Radiance PC Sailings myself

On 4/14/2023 at 12:08 PM, The sea calls my name said:

Was on 5 Brand New Royal Ships back 22-35yrs ago, Ken was on 4 of them along with same Capt.(forget his name) Back then they were like the start up Team for new builds. Along with them they'd take Top 10% best of Crew from other Ships to Train up new hires

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

Were there any upgrades done on the September drydock?

They were supposed to replace the wifi platform on board with a new Cisco solution but that level of tech detail is not appreciated or noticed by many so I haven't been able to confirm. 

I'll be on her in a few weeks so if there is something you are looking for I can look at that time.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, twangster said:

They were supposed to replace the wifi platform on board with a new Cisco solution but that level of tech detail is not appreciated or noticed by many so I haven't been able to confirm. 

I'll be on her in a few weeks so if there is something you are looking for I can look at that time.  

I do think they improved the wifi but since you were on in the Spring you'd be able to judge.  Worked ok on our cabins, aft on 9, starboard,  almost aft on 8.  Didn’t always work on balcony. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 10:03 PM, Rami077 said:

We are sailing on the Radiance in Oct 2024.  I am wondering if it has even updated recently or is it scheduled?  

Thank you.

Her last listed drydock was in July of 2021, but that was probably just maintenance and safety work to get her back up and operating after the shutdown ended.

• Thanks 1