Suites prices have gone wild

tomcruiser1234

On 4/14/2023 at 12:02 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Supply and demand.  Really simple.   Just like airline fare, seasonal rentals (Arizona November thru March), cripes you need a reservation to get in a lot of National Parks.

Exactly.  In April and May of 2020, we flew from LAX to FLL for 85.00 ROUND TRIP.  No one was flying, lots of availability.  Now, a round trip from LAX to MIA is about 475.00. 

3 hours ago, prmssk said:

MSC is not publicly traded and is backed by a huge, very successful shipping company.  They are also aggressively looking to get a larger share of the North American market.  I don't think they are in quite the same situation as the other cruise lines.

I have not yet sailed MSC but have two upcoming cruises booked with them so I can't give you a first-hand information yet but there is a noticeable and significant upward trend in the reviews over the last few years.  Additionally, I've read quite a few reviews from people who tried MSC 3-5 years ago and sailed on them again recently who note the improvements.

There were plenty of positive reviews about Yacht Club before I booked (most of the negative reviews around the time I cruised were from people who traveled in a cabin outside of Yacht Club) which is why I was shocked when I got onboard and found it lacking in service and food. It wasn’t all bad of course but compared to Celebrity it was a far inferior product outside of the layout of the Yacht Club itself. I suppose with the stratospheric price increases of Celebrity’s suites MSC now becomes a relatively better value. I personally would rather cruise with NCL in The Haven over MSC if Celebrity isn’t an option. Food and service in The Haven were both better than Yacht Club.

Kind of odd though to be debating this with someone who has never even cruised with MSC before…

6 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Kind of odd though to be debating this with someone who has never even cruised with MSC before…

Kind of odd to be debating it with someone making generalizations about MSC based on an experience 5 years ago.  I was mostly responding to your comparison with the cuts other cruise lines are making because MSC is not structured the same and thus is not facing the exact same challenges others are.

To be clear, I'm not doubting your previous experience with MSC and I understand why you might avoid them.  I'm questioning your rationale for why you are so sure it couldn't have improved.

• Haha 1

I think someone got lost on the way to MSC cheerleader tryouts. 😂😂😂

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, here’s hoping Celebrity makes suite traveling an economically feasible option again at some point. I might be looking at Princess next even though their suite amenities are more limited as I cruised with them before and enjoyed the atmosphere, ship designs, service and the food was the next best to Celebrity that I’ve experienced plus they seem to go to some slightly different ports on some itineraries.

Just putting it out there, but I feel that a lot of people, like myself, dislike the infinite veranda staterooms in the e-class ships and prefer a  true balcony and those are only available in suites. So my options now are veranda  and concierge staterooms and book specialty restaurants.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

Exactly.  In April and May of 2020, we flew from LAX to FLL for 85.00 ROUND TRIP.  No one was flying, lots of availability.  Now, a round trip from LAX to MIA is about 475.00. 

In 2021 and early 2022, that same airfare into FLL or MIA was about $800 in first class and now it's $2500.

29 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

In 2021 and early 2022, that same airfare into FLL or MIA was about $800 in first class and now it's $2500.

It’s been over 2k per person since the end of Covid for us from Dallas, pre Covid about 700 or 800. 

On 4/22/2023 at 9:05 AM, Doubt It said:

Obedient consumers are the greatest gift to a business; the business can change key variables to benefit them but they know their beloved obedient consumers will still purchase.

Consumers need to be not obedient and focus only on what is good for them, many do not, get in a loop of repetitive purchasing and thinking points are important. 

Always look at all options and undertake a value for money analysis; financial and non financial considerations.

The price of X suites is ridiculous when you compare to Oceania, Azamara etc where the entire ship is a suite with far better food. 

Celebrity seems to have an overabundance of those consumers. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, D C said:

Celebrity seems to have an overabundance of those consumers. 

Hi DC, I agree based on the price consumers are willing to pay for suites with ever decreasing product quality. Many more posts about the decline in Luminae food for example.

But I believe that it is a Mass Psychosis purchasing situation that has occurred across North America in the past decade, with the increase in mass consumption of media.

Obedient consumers can be easily spotted at Costco for example where the sheeple go to buy vast quantities of goods that may take them quite a while to use.

This is the core of Marketing and all corporations rely totally on Obedient Consumers. 

29 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

Hi DC, I agree based on the price consumers are willing to pay for suites with ever decreasing product quality. Many more posts about the decline in Luminae food for example.

But I believe that it is a Mass Psychosis purchasing situation that has occurred across North America in the past decade, with the increase in mass consumption of media.

Obedient consumers can be easily spotted at Costco for example where the sheeple go to buy vast quantities of goods that may take them quite a while to use.

This is the core of Marketing and all corporations rely totally on Obedient Consumers. 

Or perhaps most people (not all) ) do not agree that the Retreat has experiences an ever decreasing product quality.  The enhancement to the overall Retreat experience over the last 5 years is a Home Run for Celebrity IMO.  Catering to those that spend the most money on a cruise has an amazing upside for both the customer and Celebrity.  

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
7 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Or perhaps most people (not all) ) do not agree that the Retreat has experiences an ever decreasing product quality.  The enhancement to the overall Retreat experience over the last 5 years is a Home Run for Celebrity IMO.  Catering to those that spend the most money on a cruise has an amazing upside for both the customer and Celebrity.  

Agreed.

I'll pay (almost) anything to 1) avoid queues, 2) have a superb stateroom/seat on a flight, 3) have access to all things premium, and 4) make incredible memories. 

I thoroughly enjoyed my first Retreat experience this year.

My S.O. and I have historically been "air and land" travelers. But, since Celebrity came through so well, we are sailing again on them in August.

Celebrity made a very good first impression with us. Well worth the price, IMO.

However, we also like history and tradItion. So, trying something different by having booked two westbound transatlantic crossings next year (one spring and one fall) on QM2.

Peace and calm