Viva TA?

dwr777

Hi all,

I’m considering Viva’s transatlantic in Nov. I’ve been reading the reviews for Prima, and, to me, Prima/Viva look great!  

For those that have done a TA, can you kindly share pros/cons?  I love sea days, so that’s a pro to me.  I’ve been in some rough seas, I do understand it could be a bit squirrelly out there.  I’ve always wanted to do it, wondering if now is the time.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

I have not done a TA, at least in a cruise ship, but I have been on Prima.  I think a big consideration is that these ships are outdoor-focused, so I would take into account the expected weather.  Since everyone is aboard on sea days the ship may be quite crowded if the weather keeps people indoors.

25 minutes ago, dwr777 said:

Hi all,

I’m considering Viva’s transatlantic in Nov. I’ve been reading the reviews for Prima, and, to me, Prima/Viva look great!  

For those that have done a TA, can you kindly share pros/cons?  I love sea days, so that’s a pro to me.  I’ve been in some rough seas, I do understand it could be a bit squirrelly out there.  I’ve always wanted to do it, wondering if now is the time.

well if the Viva is coming from the Mediterranean. then perhaps the waters won't be so rough.

I know the northern routes can be.  But honestly given world climates these days, it is hard to predict.

If you do go on the Viva, just know that some venues are small and on those sea days might be a bit crowded too.  They did not build the prima class the same way they built earlier class.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dwr777 said:

Hi all,

We sailed on the Prima TA last year. I like sea days too and there is certainly plenty to do on the Prima. We liked the ship and have booked a Greek adventure on the Viva this year. The Prima more than any other NCL ship seems to be designed for hot dry weather. On a cold day everyone is inside and it feels cramped everywhere. There are lots of smaller spaces be they bars or entertainment venues. We loved Iceland but wouldn’t do it again.

@dwr777 Currently booked on the Viva TA. We did the Prima TA last year and had a good time, but not great since this class of ships needs to sail in a warmer climate. With the change in the final destination from NYC to Miami and with a stop in St Thomas this southern route will correct that issue.

I'm hoping for some subtle changes in the Viva but with the lack of any information coming out, I'll just wait and see.

• Like 1

I was  on the Prima northern route TA, and comments of others here are correct - these beautiful news ships have a lot of outdoor features and the Prima TA last fall was not ideal. Fortunately the Viva route is southern Atlantic. I'm also booked on Viva TA this year. I'm expecting warmer weather for most of the cruise (maybe not Caribbean cruise type weather but warm enough to enjoy outdoor features)  The Med ports before heading to the US  are great! On other southern Atlantic autumn cruises we have had decent pool weather.

• Like 1

We did a TA on Escape last November and because it was a northern route we barely went out on the balcony due to high winds and low temps. Most days the upper decks were closed for the same reasons. We were also on the Prima in January, and as others have said, the Prima is an outdoor oriented ship. The inside seemed quite cramped, especially on sea days...and on a TA, there are plenty of those. Good luck finding a seat at the tiny buffet or getting drinks at most bars without long waits.

The southern route may be better temp-wise, but I don't know that I would count on it. It's still November, after all...

Edited by schmoopie17

We're on the Viva TA also. Happy that they changed the itinerary to the more southerly route. It will be our 7th TA - all westbound - and the 4th on the southerly route. We greatly prefer the southerly route as it adds more warm days and the seas are often calm.

Also, the prices for Viva TA have dropped and the prices are now very reasonable 😁.

Go for it. There are plenty more activities in the dailies on the TAs than on normal cruises. Progressive Trivia is one! Movie times with popcorn and cocktails! Trivia galore! Game shows galore! Production shows! Chance to eat in all the dining venues.

You may need to find time to get bored!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I didn’t know about the extra activities offered, thanks for sharing, I guess they have too with all those sea days. Anyone that’s done the TA know if they also offer any spa deals like they do on port days? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2023 at 4:16 PM, JIMESOPUS said:

@dwr777 Currently booked on the Viva TA. We did the Prima TA last year and had a good time, but not great since this class of ships needs to sail in a warmer climate. With the change in the final destination from NYC to Miami and with a stop in St Thomas this southern route will correct that issue.

I'm hoping for some subtle changes in the Viva but with the lack of any information coming out, I'll just wait and see.

wished it was still going to nyc.

would save me an airline ticket from miami to nyc. 😞

We did a repo with RCL and loved it.  We are booked on the Viva in April, San Juan to Lisbon. The price is right, many ports.. I can't see what not to love, but I am speculating.  Check out the April one, hits more southern, so weather might be more to your liking.  Plus five sea days out of 19 days sailing!

Edited by nimbex1970
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 5:44 PM, nimbex1970 said:

We did a repo with RCL and loved it.  We are booked on the Viva in April, San Juan to Lisbon. The price is right, many ports.. I can't see what not to love, but I am speculating.  Check out the April one, hits more southern, so weather might be more to your liking.  Plus five sea days out of 19 days sailing!

Nice, but you get some 23 hour days ... we prefer westbound TAs with several 25 hour days 😁 We're on the Viva for WB TA this coming November.