Chic night...do men still wear suits?

HWC_Mom

38 minutes ago, adolfo2 said:

Only ~10% wear sports Jackets / suit jackets or Tuxes!

It is ironic how the tables have turned. After years of reading dress code posts from fashion police that you must wear,  a suit or a tux men, some kind of jacket and tie at the least, people who wear jackets or tuxes are now the ones who look out of place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, swjumbo said:

On cruises from Southampton we’ve found that people dress more.

On our most recent one from LA, Chic Night was hardly noticeable.

Thankfully I couldn’t get into my tux but it does seem a pity we’re losing the glamour.

I noticed out of Southampton that some British passengers have not yet been assimilated. 😀 Still when I sail out of Southampton on Celebrity I don’t pack a jacket. I could care less that some passengers think they are embarking on a glamorous vacation. They are welcome to stay in their costume. I will stay in my resort wear. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, kwokpot said:

You must have a lot of luggage if you're taking a tux AND 2 or 3 Sports Jackets. How many pairs of shoes do you take?

One standard suitcase and one standard carryon. Don’t bring formal shoes anymore. Wear one pair, pack a pair and a pair of flips.

• Like 1

Not sure of a European trip...but for the Caribbean... few wear jackets, fewer suits and even fewer formal wear ...although we have seen a few. Frankly Covid changed the way I pack. It used to be that Day 1 'formal' night, DH would wear. jacket, tie, dress shirt, tie, nice pants and nice shoes... by the second one we were down to dress shirt, tie, nice pants and comfy shoes. With Covid and all the distancing... we dropped the jacket and nice shoes. The way I figure it... what are the odds of ever seeing these people again..and if you do.. are they really going to say... 'oh there goes the guy who didn't wear a jacket'. 

17 minutes ago, sasset said:

One standard suitcase and one standard carryon. Don’t bring formal shoes anymore. Wear one pair, pack a pair and a pair of flips.

That seems very reasonable. Good for you! Sounds like you're a good packer given the amount of dressier things you take.

The good thing about Celebrity's Chic night dress suggestions is it clearly says anything from smart casual to formal is fine.  I read it as "don't be sloppy".   Coats are not required and not in abundance.  I would not feel out of place wearing one and I would not feel out of place if I didn't wear one.   Enjoy! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1