Cleanliness?

jeanlyon

Just saw this picture posted on social media of a shower head on Britannia and another person said theirs was the same.  Also, one person found a pair of knickers in her bed which were not hers!!No photo description available.

Edited by jeanlyon

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

a shower head on Britannia and another person said theirs was the same.

These things have always been present and with less than 20 minutes a day to service a cabin what else can you expect. I have been on a cruise for four weeks and the carpet has not been hoovered - there were the same bits there when we left that were there when we arrived.

Until P&O increase the number of cabin stewards to give them more time to do the job properly these things will continue - and this has nothing to do with Covid they were in existence pre Covid.

12 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Also, one person found a pair of knickers in her bed which were not hers!!

Not sure I believe that one - or perhaps she should ask her husband!!😉😉

• Haha 6

21 minutes ago, david63 said:

These things have always been present and with less than 20 minutes a day to service a cabin what else can you expect. I have been on a cruise for four weeks and the carpet has not been hoovered - there were the same bits there when we left that were there when we arrived.

Until P&O increase the number of cabin stewards to give them more time to do the job properly these things will continue - and this has nothing to do with Covid they were in existence pre Covid.

Not sure I believe that one - or perhaps she should ask her husband!!😉😉

It was when they went to get into bed on the first night.    There really should not be mildew on the shower head.  That leads to illness.  Yes agree about the carpets.  I have noticed that before.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

Interesting though this thread has raised issues over general cleanliness.

On Iona last Autumn on a Canaries cruise, my daughter had crew in her cabin 3 times to try and clear dark hairs from the carpet that were there as she entered the cabin of her first day.

Despite 3 attempts, the hairs were still there. In fact, I don’t know how but there was even more dark hair by the end of two weeks, and not hers.

Just what equipment do they have?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GSPG said:

Interesting though this thread has raised issues over general cleanliness.

On Iona last Autumn on a Canaries cruise, my daughter had crew in her cabin 3 times to try and clear dark hairs from the carpet that were there as she entered the cabin of her first day.

Despite 3 attempts, the hairs were still there. In fact, I don’t know how but there was even more dark hair by the end of two weeks, and not hers.

Just what equipment do they have?

Possibly not hair at all, sounds more like something shedding from the carpet or being drawn through from the underlay. 

Alternatively, coming from the hoover. 

There would be no reason why hair could not simply be picked off from a wool carpet. 

Andy 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

These things do happen, and have been happening since before covid. I know everyone feels that we should take little notice of what is written online and that if our own cabin is clean then the rest of those on the ship are also, however until it happens to you then you appreciate that these things do actually happen.

We had a cleanliness issue once on Arcadia - imagine walking into your cabin on embarkation day to find the previous occupants rubbish in the bins, wet swimming towels thrown over the sofa bed (which was also broken), the carpet had not been cleaned, the air vent above the bed was thick with dust hanging down from it, the bedding was stained, bathroom not clean and much more (including an empty welcome onboard folder, least of our worries!). We actually stepped back out to check we had the correct cabin 🤣.

Unfortunately, our cabin issue was not handled well by anybody onboard and unexpectedly we were spoken to rudely by both reception and the hotel management side of things. It took the TA and P&O shoreside to get involved and get things sorted and we had long sailed by the time our cabin was even ready. Our situation was certainly a one off for us and wasn't recently, but it just shows that it can happen.

There are fewer cabin stewards who have to service even more cabins, and I feel for them because they want to do a good job but with time constraints then things are bound to be missed.

Edited by CarlaMarie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RaspberryCremeBrulee said:

Shower heads on Britannia were being cleaned in Feb/Mar on our cruise. At least in the vicinity of our cabin. We often saw shower heads in a bucket soaking.  We were more than happy with the cleanliness on board.

Ditto on Iona in February. The whole head was off and soaking in a bucket in the corridor.

I would be surprised if any cruise line didn't pay attention to  cleaning the shower heads as it’s a potential breeding ground for legionella.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Ditto on Iona in February. The whole head was off and soaking in a bucket in the corridor.

I would be surprised if any cruise line didn't pay attention to  cleaning the shower heads as it’s a potential breeding ground for legionella.

The person who wrote this on social media I have met on a cruise, so I think I can believe her.  Also, another man on there agreed.  Others had their sheets changed a\t 11pm as they had stains on them.  Ho hum.  I shall see what Aurora is like in October.

6 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Just saw this picture posted on social media of a shower head on Britannia and another person said theirs was the same.  Also, one person found a pair of knickers in her bed which were not hers!!No photo description available.

I would take it all with a very large pinch of salt Jean.

Avril

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

The person who wrote this on social media I have met on a cruise, so I think I can believe her.  Also, another man on there agreed.  Others had their sheets changed a\t 11pm as they had stains on them.  Ho hum.  I shall see what Aurora is like in October.

Jean as you know I am the first to call out P&O for any issues but in fairness to them I have always found clean linen, clean carpets and a clean bathroom.

Hopefully you will find the same in October.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Jean as you know I am the first to call out P&O for any issues but in fairness to them I have always found clean linen, clean carpets and a clean bathroom.

Hopefully you will find the same in October.

Me too, but I have had the odd thing in the cabin before and I'm going back to 2019!!  I shall go with an open mind.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Strange … we regularly saw the shower heads being soaked in cleaning  fluid (well I assumed that’s what it was) 

I’ve always found the cabins to be clean! Can’t imagine how underwear belonging to someone else would end up in the bed??? .. could be a rumour I guess 

Edited by janieb1962

I doubt that every cabin steward is as conscientious as the best, so it is conceivable that the odd item of rubbish might be found, and it's also possible that they might not be as thorough when it comes to cleaning the cabin. In those circumstances I would hope that most passengers would report the issue to housekeeping, or maybe initially to the steward, in this way standards can be kept quite high.

Fortunately we have been lucky to have had some very conscientious stewards over the years, but even then we have noticed some differences in the standard of cleaning.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I didn't have any issues on Aurora last summer Jean and will happily feed back the good, bad and indifferent this summer too.

On 4/16/2023 at 1:40 PM, jeanlyon said:

A pair of knickers is nothing a couple on Azura last week in Malta returned to their cabin to find two more passengers in it

• Haha 5

Just now, Mollag said:

A pair of knickers is nothing a couple on Azura last week in Malta returned to their cabin to find two more passengers in it

I now feel the need to confess!😅😅 Recently on the Azura I went back to my cabin, the door was open and I went in to find all my worldly possessions had been stolen, the room stripped bare! It took me a few moments of profound shock until I realised I was on the wrong deck! The Steward was using it to store bedding! In embarrassment I quietly retreated back to the correct deck! It could have been very embarrassing though! 😅😅

• Haha 14