Recommendations for Affordable but Nice Hotel in Midtown Manhatten

Ron & Kristy

On 4/21/2023 at 6:53 PM, navybankerteacher said:

If you stay near Fifth or Sixth Avenue between 45th and 59th streets you would be within easy walking distance (or short ride) of a whole lot of things to see/do.  

p.s. Using “trendy” abbreviations such as FIDI for Wall Street and UES, UWS along with LIC - is a sure way of identifying yourself as an irredeemable out-of-Towner.

People who live there call it FIDI.  And yes, the area you suggested is useful for visiting 30 Rock or Broadway (although I'd suggest near 7th and 8th for that), but would be a distance for the Statue of LIberty or walking the Brooklyn Bridge.  Staying in TriBeCa or the Financial District would be good for those activities

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

People who live there call it FIDI.  …

As one who lived in Manhattan (and worked there) for many years I (along with my peers) have always called it Wall Street (the name of the key street being applied to the district and the industry generally).

28 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

As one who lived in Manhattan (and worked there) for many years I (along with my peers) have always called it Wall Street (the name of the key street being applied to the district and the industry generally).

I'm with you on this one-- lived in Manhattan for years. Wall Street, Financial District, Downtown, The Battery, Battery Park City-- heard all those plenty of times and would know exactly where you meant. "FIDI" at very best is newer and at its very worst, nauseating. 

On 4/21/2023 at 2:15 PM, Nitemare said:

And to be pedantic, LIC is in Queens which IS on Long Island!

For those of us who are both geographically and historically inclined, Long Island, sometimes also referred to as Nassau Island, has long been the island that begins at the East River, directly opposite Manhattan Island. When the province of New York was first divided into twelve counties, in 1683, Long Island was divided into three counties. The easternmost county, Suffolk, was that portion colonized by the English, and administered as part of Plymouth, and later by Connecticut. The central and westernmost counties, Queens and Kings, were those portions colonized by the Dutch.

In 1870, the westernmost portion of Queens County along the East River (including the village of Astoria and surrounding areas), was separated from the town of Newtown and incorporated as the city of Long Island City. It was becoming an important center of transportation and commerce, primarily because less than ten years earlier, in 1861, the Long Island Rail Road had relocated its New York terminus from the city of Brooklyn to what was to become the city of Long Island City. It was in 1898 that the city of Long Island City merged with the cities of New York and Brooklyn (along with a portion of Queens County and all of Staten Island) to become the modern day city of New York. One year later, in 1899, the eastern half of Queens County--that portion outside of the city of New York--was removed and made into a fourth county, Nassau.

But what is most important is that Long Island is presently comprised of four counties. Long Island is NOT synonymous with Suffolk County alone. A critical part of the city of New York is part of Long Island, and more New York City residents live on Long Island than anywhere else. Moreover, more persons living on Long Island are residents of New York City than not being residents (fewer than 20 percent of the people living on Long Island are residents of Suffolk County). Both the geographic and population centroids of New York City are on Long Island. Legitimately, the borough of Queens is the "central borough" of the city, and Manhattan is an "outer borough."

Long Island was long been connected to Manhattan Island with ferries, and has well-connected with highway, railway, and subway service for over one hundred years. The Queensborough Bridge opened in 1909 (initially with highway and street railway service, and elevated train service commencing in 1917), the East River (LIRR) Tunnels opened in 1910, the Steinway Tunnel opened in 1915, and the 60th Street Tunnel opened in 1920. Since those early days two additional tunnel connections have opened, the Queens-Midtown Tunnel in 1940, and the 63rd Street Tunnel in 1989 (initially with subway service, and LIRR train service commencing in 2023). Important to note is that Long Island City is so close to Manhattan Island, and is so well-connected, that today it is virtually seamless to travel between these two parts of New York City. Midtown Manhattan is closer to Long Island City is both distance and time, than it is to Wall Street in lower Manhattan.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 9:47 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Someone who wants to see/experience New York City might not want to schedule a couple of hours a day on public transportation or costly car service to save a few $ on a hotel room.

I live in Brooklyn and until Covid worked in Long Island City which is only 1 or two subway stops after Manhattan. One subway stop is not hours on the subway. Yes, it took me an hour to go from home to work but I have to travel the length of Manhattan on the subway. 

Many many hotels have been built in Long Island City zip code 11101 which may be a cheaper alternative to staying in Manhattan. I actually worked in the building that Amazon was going to buy to make an HQ until that fell through and there is a Hotel built across the street and you could walk to the NYC Ferry stop to get to Manhattan in 5 minutes. 

And for a real experience, you could walk over the Queensboro (59th Street/Mayor Ed Koch) Bridge.

17 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

…One subway stop is not hours on the subway. Yes, it took me an hour to go from home to work but I have to travel the length of Manhattan on the subway. 

Going “one subway stop”is not all it takes.  Getting from the part of Manhattan you are interested in seeing to the subway station takes time, waiting for the train takes time, actually riding the train takes time, getting from the other subway station to your hotel takes time, and you spend that time twice: going and coming.  Spending those chunks of time adds up to more than just the time the subway train you are on spends actually moving.

When I commuted to Manhattan from CT the train ride took about 48 minutes - but getting from my house to the station took some time, because I drove I had to allow a bit of time to park, feed the meter, walk to the station platform, pick up the newspaper, and wait on the platform for the train to come in (no one can perfectly time things) then shuffle along the platform in Grant Central, cross a couple of avenues, walk five blocks (yes - sometimes I did not have to wait for a green light, but often I did) .

Yes -I “lived 48 minutes away from work) but spent a lot more than two hours a day.

• 2 months later...

I checked several affordable hotels for the dates you listed above. The prices are based on the hotel websites. If you book through a third party site you can probably get some good prices but, you never know exactly where the room is, like facing a brick wall or next to a loud air conditioner outside.

Manhattan is where you want to be, that's where all the action is, the famous sites and historic landmarks. 

Best Western - East 49th street between 3rd avenue and Lexington. Nice hotel prices in your range between $250 and $350. Great location steps from Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Theater District and many nice restaurants and diners. 

Hilton Garden Inn - East 52nd near 3rd Avenue. King bed room approximately $353 with Hilton Honors discount. Great neighborhood, close to many attractions. 

Omni Berkshire Place - East 52nd between Madison and 5th Avenue. Excellent area, very nice hotel, close to great shopping, Central Park just seven blocks away. Rockefeller Center, MoMa, theater district. King bedroom starting at $324 per night $350 for deluxe king. 

The Jewel Club Quarters east 51rst between 5th and 6th avenue. Located in Rockefeller Center. Very close to theater district, shopping, Central Park, MoMa, Saks 5th Avenue. King rooms starting at $328 for advanced purchase. 

If you use a discount hotel site there are many great options like the Benjamin on 51rst just off Lexington - the Michangelo - 51rst street just off 7th avenue. The Kimberly - East 50th street between 3rd and Lexington among many others. 

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking