Recommendations for Affordable but Nice Hotel in Midtown Manhatten

Ron & Kristy

My husband and I have never been to New York.  We will be sailing on April 25, 2024 so we thought we would go a couple of days ahead of time.  I know everything is expensive now but is there a lesser known hotel that goes above and beyond and might have a better price than the big guys?   Thanks everyone.

3 hours ago, Ron & Kristy said:

My husband and I have never been to New York.  We will be sailing on April 25, 2024 so we thought we would go a couple of days ahead of time. 

Cannot help with Manhattan hotels. If you find prices higher than you want to pay, look at hotels in Jersey City, New Jersey. PATH trains from Jersey City will have you in Manhattan in 15 minutes at $2.75 one way. Hotels in Jersey City provide spectacular views of lower Manhattan. Residence Inn is close to a PATH station

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Ron & Kristy said:

Affordable is $250-$300 per night.

A few midtown options, that have a bunch of character (as in you'll know you're in New York), are both along 44th St nestled among several private clubs. These would be The Algonquin (part of Marriott Bonvoy so points are an option) and the City Club Hotel (which is basically independent). Both have smaller entry level rooms but they are regularly in your range, offer tremendously central locations, and are somewhat unique to NY. 

Another option could be The Warwick which is up on 54th St-- sometimes will be in that range but can also be above. Also to this I would add the Intercontinental The Barclay-- it could be in your range (or you could use points) but sometimes is above it. 

All four of those hotels have local flavor and would be a great base for exploring Midtown. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ron & Kristy said:

I know everything is expensive now [in New York] but is there a lesser known hotel that goes above and beyond and might have a better price than the big guys?

Real estate in Manhattan is the most expensive in the United States, and hotels prices reflect that reality. If price is an important criterion, then my suggestion is to look outside the premium rate geography of midtown Manhattan and seek lodging in a closeby area that offers both inherently better value and easy access to places you want to visit. One such area is Queens Plaza in Long Island City. It is located across the East River from midtown Manhattan, on the east side of the Queensborough Bridge, has seen a spate of new hotel construction, and generally offers good values compared to midtown. It should be easy to find comfortable rooms within your range of affordable accommodations: choosing a random weekend in July 2023, I see prices generally between $150 and $250. Look for hotels within close walking distance of a subway station (Queensborough Plaza station, Queens Plaza station, Court Square station, 39th Avenue station), and you will have very quick access 24 hours daily into midtown . . . even staying in midtown it is likely that you would need to travel by subway anyway. A quick historic note: Long Island City was one of three cities that were merged, in 1898, to form modern-day New York, and this area has long been an important area in New York City.

• Thanks 1

Hi. I used Kayak.com and it looks like Hampton Inn Grand Central has good rates during next April. Nothing glamorous but in a nice safe neighborhood and it includes free breakfast. If you’re able to walk, you can walk to Times Square, Bryant Park, Empire State Bldg from there. Uber to further places and to the pier. Not far from and it won’t be expensive. 

• Like 1

I think you might be looking a bit far out in terms of dates. I used to spend a lot of time around Time Square for work, and there could be several hundred dollars difference week to week.

IHG does not seem to have dates open that far on their app, but I've definitely gotten rooms in your price range at the Intercontinental on 44th (sometimes it's way more though). I really liked the EVEN hotel I stayed at in New York (also looks like it is generally in your price range).  You might want to wait a month or so and look again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rubyfisch said:

I think you might be looking a bit far out in terms of dates. I used to spend a lot of time around Time Square for work, and there could be several hundred dollars difference week to week.

IHG does not seem to have dates open that far on their app, but I've definitely gotten rooms in your price range at the Intercontinental on 44th (sometimes it's way more though). I really liked the EVEN hotel I stayed at in New York (also looks like it is generally in your price range).  You might want to wait a month or so and look again.

Definitely too early to see rates!  At best you will see Rack Rates a year out.  Wait until June 1st to expect to see anything realistic

It's a little above your price range but our total for 2 nights with breakfast is $663.00 at Hotel Edison on 47th St. right at Times Square.  They also have a shuttle available, at a charge of course, that can pick you up from the airport, take you to the cruise port when you need to go, and is available for other things like going down to ground zero (places that are a little far to walk).  That price included hotel taxes and fees so it's pretty good for that area!!  Good luck, it's tough to find anything affordable in NY! 😄 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 5:52 PM, Ron & Kristy said:

My husband and I have never been to New York.  We will be sailing on April 25, 2024 so we thought we would go a couple of days ahead of time.  I know everything is expensive now but is there a lesser known hotel that goes above and beyond and might have a better price than the big guys?   Thanks everyone.

If you call the NYC Department of Tourism located in Manhattan they should be able to give you some suggestions.

On 4/17/2023 at 11:28 AM, Brighton Line said:

Long Island City (Queens) also has several new hotels and is a short subway trip from Manhattan. 

Someone who wants to see/experience New York City might not want to schedule a couple of hours a day on public transportation or costly car service to save a few $ on a hotel room.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Someone who wants to see/experience New York City might not want to schedule a couple of hours a day on public transportation or costly car service to save a few $ on a hotel room.

LIC is closer to midtown than the FIDI is.  It certainly isn't a couple hours or a costly car service to get there!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

LIC is closer to midtown than the FIDI is.  It certainly isn't a couple hours or a costly car service to get there!

I do not know what/where “FIDI” is — but if someone wants to spend time someplace interesting in midtown Manhattan getting to and from LIC is likely to eat a fair amount of time- when you consider getting to the subway station, waiting for a train, riding on the train, getting from the subway station to that less expensive hotel WILL eat up a fair amount of time each way - plus about $10 fare for a couple - or almost as much time, and a lot more money, going by taxi or car service.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

And to be pedantic, LIC is in Queens which IS on Long Island!

But, to the typical geographically-challenged out-of-towner, “Queens” often means “outer borough”, while  “Long Island” suggests Locust Valley, the Hamptons and places of that ilk.  

And a true New Yorker is not simply a resident of any of the five Boroughs which make up New York City, but a resident of New York County. This frame of reference is supported by the tendency of residents of Kings, Queens, Richmond or the Bronx to refer to going into Manhattan as “going to ‘The City’ “.

Edited by navybankerteacher

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I do not know what/where “FIDI” is — but if someone wants to spend time someplace interesting in midtown Manhattan getting to and from LIC is likely to eat a fair amount of time- when you consider getting to the subway station, waiting for a train, riding on the train, getting from the subway station to that less expensive hotel WILL eat up a fair amount of time each way - plus about $10 fare for a couple - or almost as much time, and a lot more money, going by taxi or car service.  

You could look stuff up.  FIDI is Financial District, and lots of folks stay there.  LIC is cheaper and closer (and quicker).  You still have to get to the subway station (plenty of close hotels to subways in LIC) in FIDI (or UWS or UES, etc) and ride to your destination just like in LIC.  And the money savings can be substantial.

I'm curious as to where your Centrally Located lodging is that doesn't require getting to and from and riding the subway?  Say, for someone going to a Broadway show, to the Natural History Museum, to see the Statue of Liberty, and going to a Yankee Game?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nitemare said:

You could look stuff up.  FIDI is Financial District, and lots of folks stay there.  LIC is cheaper and closer (and quicker).  You still have to get to the subway station (plenty of close hotels to subways in LIC) in FIDI (or UWS or UES, etc) and ride to your destination just like in LIC.  And the money savings can be substantial.

I'm curious as to where your Centrally Located lodging is that doesn't require getting to and from and riding the subway?  Say, for someone going to a Broadway show, to the Natural History Museum, to see the Statue of Liberty, and going to a Yankee Game?

If you stay near Fifth or Sixth Avenue between 45th and 59th streets you would be within easy walking distance (or short ride) of a whole lot of things to see/do.  

p.s. Using “trendy” abbreviations such as FIDI for Wall Street and UES, UWS along with LIC - is a sure way of identifying yourself as an irredeemable out-of-Towner.

On 4/18/2023 at 3:06 PM, Vic The Parrot said:

Which terminal are you sailing from?

I'm sorry...never got the notifications that people were responding. The terminal is in Manhattan. That is all I know at this point.

Edited by Ron & Kristy