How does a drinks package work?

JeannyJ

A very newbie question, I know!  We got the HIA for our Alaska cruise (on Volendam) in July, and I was wondering how it works. We got it primarily for juice at breakfast, pop with our meals and specialty coffees on cool days. I know we get 15 drinks a day with it but how do the waiters/baristas know not to charge us?  This is never part of vlogs about drink packages and I'd like to not look like a total noob and hold up the process when ordering. My husband thinks I should just wait and learn as we go but there are some surprises I don't care to have. In my books it's ok to know as much as you can going into something as big as a cruise.

• Like 1

Everything onboard is tied directly to your ship card, which will have the letters "HIA" at the top.  All servers and bartenders will see this and you will not be charged (but you may be presented with a slip to sign). Also, check your onboard account on your stateroom TV, as occasionally a charge might appear.  If so, a quick trip to guest services will remedy the charge.

• Like 2

Oops! Typing at the same time as @julia!

The drinks package is encoded in your cabin cruise card.  When you order just hand the waiter your card and the drink will be credited when they ring up your order. Usually it says HIA up in one corner of your card.   Very convenient.  The 18% gratuity is already paid for in your drink package.  If you order a drink that is over the maximum included then you only will be charged the difference plus gratuity on the difference.

Have a great cruise!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

The sad truth is that the HAL system can and does fail some of us with drink packages.  Even though your cruise card will indicate you have the HIA package, overcharges happen ( 6 times to us on our current cruise).  The good news is that it is usually easy to get adjusted by bringing it to the attention of guest services.  

We strongly suggest that all cruisers check their onboard account on a daily basis in order to quickly deal

with issues.  You can easily access your account by using the Navigator App.

Hank

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up question:    If I have a party of 3,   2 of us have the signature drink package,   1 of us doesnt have anything.   Can 2 of us order bottle water and sodas and just give it to the 3rd person?   Or will they be eyeballing us lol.   Also,  when they bring you a bottle water or soda,  do they open it for you or can you request that it be closed so that you can take it to the room?

24 minutes ago, dalesyang said:

Follow up question:    If I have a party of 3,   2 of us have the signature drink package,   1 of us doesnt have anything.   Can 2 of us order bottle water and sodas and just give it to the 3rd person?   Or will they be eyeballing us lol.   Also,  when they bring you a bottle water or soda,  do they open it for you or can you request that it be closed so that you can take it to the room?

You shouldn’t do that but they won’t follow you to see.  Water covered on the drink package is in cans only.  I often take bottles of Perrier, cans of sparkling water etc back to my room.  I think they will ask if you want it open.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 3:17 AM, Hlitner said:

We strongly suggest that all cruisers check their onboard account on a daily basis in order to quickly deal

with issues.  You can easily access your account by using the Navigator App.

Excellent advice. This is particularly true if you are ever drinking and the point of sale system goes down. The transactions get re-rung, but sometimes miss your beverage package in the process.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You shouldn’t do that but they won’t follow you to see.  Water covered on the drink package is in cans only.  I often take bottles of Perrier, cans of sparkling water etc back to my room.  I think they will ask if you want it open.

Here on the Westerdam, water has been the typical plastic bottles.  No problem if you want water or soft drink cans unopened.  

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Here on the Westerdam, water has been the typical plastic bottles.  No problem if you want water or soft drink cans unopened.  

Must be a supply chain issue 😛😉😂.  It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a plastic bottle sold on hal, probably a year or so.

1 hour ago, alwaysfrantic said:

Do they have Aha water onboard? Or any flavored sparkling waters?

Aha, but it may be challenging to find.  I met a lovely bartender that found some for me and he even chilled it.  Believe me it was hard to find.  He got an extra tip for that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

Just paying the difference is a change, isn’t it?  My last cruise was pre Covid.  If it was more than the set price I think we had to pay the whole price.  

Yes, I want to say the change has been in the last 6 months and seemed to be rolled out ship to ship in my memory. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2023 at 8:40 AM, alwaysfrantic said:

Do they have Aha water onboard? Or any flavored sparkling waters?

We did have some Aha canned water, earlier in our voyage (late March) that was being offered as a substitute for Perrier, which was out of stock.  Aha soon disappeared (we now have Perrier) and we have not seen a can in at least 2 weeks.

Hank

Nieuw Amsterdam had Aha water in Feb.

You only pay difference if you have the $11 package and go over on all the ships I've been on last year and this year. Will be on Eurodam in 2 days, so I'll know soon about it.

No problems asking them to not open the drinks - and no issues taking them to your cabin.

On 4/27/2023 at 6:22 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes, I want to say the change has been in the last 6 months and seemed to be rolled out ship to ship in my memory. 

The new policy started appearing on select ships last fall--might have been one or two test ships last summer--and went pretty much fleet-wide by about the start of 2023.

Also, unless it has changed, the small glass Perrier water bottles were included in the package too.

2 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

The new policy started appearing on select ships last fall--might have been one or two test ships last summer--and went pretty much fleet-wide by about the start of 2023.

Also, unless it has changed, the small glass Perrier water bottles were included in the package too.

Perrier is included.