Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

2 hours ago, buttercup39 said:

.... I asked him why & he told me that apparently they overbooked the cruise & they are offering to move it to 2025 on 3 select sailings or offer a refund on the money I have paid....

All 3 2025 sailings currently have Veranda cabins marked as 'Sold Out' and Concierge has sold out on March 27th sailing, with only a few cabins left in that class on the other 2...

They may have just blocked out Veranda to preserve the inventory for L&S, but if not then there are not going to be many/any options left on the 2025 cruises by now...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, buttercup39 said:

I just got my email from my TA this morning, Saturday, April 29 at around 9:52am that Celebrity has cancelled my Japan cruise for March 16-28, 2024. I asked him why & he told me that apparently they overbooked the cruise & they are offering to move it to 2025 on 3 select sailings or offer a refund on the money I have paid. It will be cancelled automatically on Monday, May 1, 2023 and I will be refunded. My husband & I are devastated because I booked that Japan cruise last June 22, 2022 & we will meet our friend & hubby from UK in that same cruise (I even asked her if they were cancelled too but her TA is not available until Monday). We are from Calgary, AB, Canada.

Thank you for letting us know and I am genuinely sorry that your vacation plans have been torpedoed. The overbook situation is a bad look for Celebrity and their compensation options are inadequate. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, clojacks said:

Do you mind if I ask where you are getting this "10 ships and 1000's of passengers, almost 15% just this year" info from?

I meant 10 sailings, which is 1000s of people, which are 15% of the passengers. 

14 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I have been reading this and wondering what is going on.  I just booked a cruise on Millennium for May 2nd, 2024 with no problem at all.  Had originally booked for May 27th but then realized that would impact out granddaughters high school graduation so had them rebook us to the May 2nd 13-day cruise. 

So I am still now clear what 2024 sailing are being cancelled and who is saying Millennium will not be in Japan in 2024.

IMG_9184.thumb.jpeg.8e9d07d071680b95ae200c8296b40b1f.jpeg

We will be joining you on the May 2nd 2024 sailing. We are in Aqua A1 and they are sold out now. 🤞🏻

Cheers! 

8 hours ago, buttercup39 said:

I just got my email from my TA this morning, Saturday, April 29 at around 9:52am that Celebrity has cancelled my Japan cruise for March 16-28, 2024. I asked him why & he told me that apparently they overbooked the cruise & they are offering to move it to 2025 on 3 select sailings or offer a refund on the money I have paid. It will be cancelled automatically on Monday, May 1, 2023 and I will be refunded. My husband & I are devastated because I booked that Japan cruise last June 22, 2022 & we will meet our friend & hubby from UK in that same cruise (I even asked her if they were cancelled too but her TA is not available until Monday). We are from Calgary, AB, Canada.

buttercup39,

Have you booked through big travel agency or local travel agency (Calgary)?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, buttercup39 said:

Wonder why they didn’t offer to move you to the 5/15/24 cruise.  Last checked, there was availability on it.  We just moved to it from the 4/21/24 (we were not canceled, but needed to make the change because our own plans changed).  Pushing someone to 2025 seems extreme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HSBC said:

buttercup39,

Have you booked through big travel agency or local travel agency (Calgary)?

Thanks!

I booked it online & I can't say the name of the travel agency (rules of CC) & maybe because I got myself a very good deal (less than $1350pp) so they have to cancel our long awaited Japan cruise. 😟

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, raananh said:

I meant 10 sailings, which is 1000s of people, which are 15% of the passengers. 

You’re confusing me! 15% of the total number of people who cruise Celebrity?

8 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Thank you for letting us know and I am genuinely sorry that your vacation plans have been torpedoed. The overbook situation is a bad look for Celebrity and their compensation options are inadequate. 

Isn’t the compensation offered money paid back? What more would you want Celebrity to pay?

27 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Isn’t the compensation offered money paid back? What more would you want Celebrity to pay?

In 2019, we had a 14 night Caribbean sailing canceled by Celebrity 8.5 months before the sail date.

The cancellation was not Celebrity's fault. 

The compensation offered was generous. Everyone got an FCC for 50% of the cruise fare and something like up to $500 for documented air fare losses.

On top of that you could have your booking transferred to another Caribbean sailing with price protection (i.e you didn't have to pay at prevailing rates) or a full refund.

So basically we were made whole (refund or replacement cruise) and got a 50% FCC on top of that which we had one year to apply to another cruise. That's what I would like to have seen done here. 

Everyone on our roll call felt adequately compensated financially although we all were very disappointed with the cancellation.  I didn't remember anyone swearing off or swearing at Celebrity. Many of us were appreciative. 

With the Covid pandemic that soon followed, Celebrity has gotten used to cancellations and they standardized the compensation--a full refund or a 125% FCC (and they're not as financially healthy). I think it is with that mentality that Celebrity developed the current compensation offering for the Japanese sailing overbookings. 

My disappointment for having our entire Silhouette sailing cancelled because of an accident does not compare to the emotions of those affected where you have some people cancelled, some not, and where Celebrity is completely responsible. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

In 2019, we had a 14 night Caribbean sailing canceled by Celebrity 8.5 months before the sail date.

The cancellation was not Celebrity's fault. 

The compensation offered was generous. Everyone got an FCC for 50% of the cruise fare and something like up to $500 for documented air fare losses.

On top of that you could have your booking transferred to another Caribbean sailing with price protection (i.e you didn't have to pay at prevailing rates) or a full refund.

So basically we were made whole (refund or replacement cruise) and got a 50% FCC on top of that which we had one year to apply to another cruise. That's what I would like to have seen done here. 

Everyone on our roll call felt adequately compensated financially although we all were very disappointed with the cancellation.  I didn't remember anyone swearing off or swearing at Celebrity. Many of us were appreciative. 

With the Covid pandemic that soon followed, Celebrity has gotten used to cancellations and they standardized the compensation--a full refund or a 125% FCC (and they're not as financially healthy). I think it is with that mentality that Celebrity developed the current compensation offering for the Japanese sailing overbookings. 

My disappointment for having our entire Silhouette sailing cancelled because of an accident does not compare to the emotions of those affected where you have some people cancelled, some not, and where Celebrity is completely responsible. 

I am still no clearer what you expect

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Wow. I would happily be cancelled on those terms.

In the long ago past X oversold our fully paid cruise, sent us notification via a TA that we could still sail, but cancel if we chose, and if we did, we received fully paid cruise fare refunded and 6 wk in the future cruise free.  DH and I agreed that was a no brainer. That was our first X cruise and their offer cemented our loyalty.   I realize they could not do that with so many ships/passenger cabins oversold.  But a little 'extra' to sweeten the taste of being cancelled is IMO the way to treat the customer.  I wonder if X insurance would cover some or all of the 'sweetness'?

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

In the long ago past X oversold our fully paid cruise, sent us notification via a TA that we could still sail, but cancel if we chose, and if we did, we received fully paid cruise fare refunded and 6 wk in the future cruise free.  DH and I agreed that was a no brainer. That was our first X cruise and their offer cemented our loyalty.   I realize they could not do that with so many ships/passenger cabins oversold.  But a little 'extra' to sweeten the taste of being cancelled is IMO the way to treat the customer.  I wonder if X insurance would cover some or all of the 'sweetness'?

Good old days. Different economic climate nowadays, covid to blame. And celebrity not to blame for covid for sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

Even if you were losing far more than that in airfare?

In the example I'm citing, Celebrity offered something like up to $500 in documented air fare losses.  I cannot comment about air fare in your case other than I've yet to see Celebrity ever make someone whole on air fare. In the USA, we do get a voucher back good for one year. 

However my example is more than what's offered now and in the eyes of at least one person, too generous. 

Edited by mahdnc

22 hours ago, mahdnc said:

@pukekolive posted this screenshot of the 9 affected sailings:img_1_1681783961816.thumb.jpg.b0686c9c69

Do you have any idea where they got this list?  Or did someone simply type up this list on an assumption?

We are sailing 3/28/2024 (original booking from way back November 2019, lifted and shifted over and over again).  We always book now with Celebrity directly, and stay with them so I don't have to go through a third party to make adjustments.  One mishap a few years back was enough for me.  I just sent off an email to our contact at Celebrity to see what she knows. Should be interesting to get her take.   

7 minutes ago, MandL said:

Do you have any idea where they got this list?  Or did someone simply type up this list on an assumption?

We are sailing 3/28/2024 (original booking from way back November 2019, lifted and shifted over and over again).  We always book now with Celebrity directly, and stay with them so I don't have to go through a third party to make adjustments.  One mishap a few years back was enough for me.  I just sent off an email to our contact at Celebrity to see what she knows. Should be interesting to get her take.   

I credited @pukekolive with posting it, but I don't know the basis for its creation. A quick check of the roll calls will probably confirm its accuracy or lack thereof

13 minutes ago, MandL said:

The roll call for your sailing has members receiving cancellation letters. 

15 minutes ago, MandL said:

This list was posted by several people who received it in their cancellation email from Celebrity, advising them of the overbooked situation.