Best Suggestions to Beat Jet Lag

Mark.Jules

9 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Technically JFK-SIN is the longest than EWR-SIN by three miles. Singapore Airlines does them both; #3 and #4 on the list are both done by Qantas, and #5 by Air New Zealand. A list is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_flights

Doesn't the JFK-SIN stop in FRA?  (And I think pax can even get off/on there?)

The Newark-SIN is non-stop.

I wonder how the routes (and times?) have changed.  When we took that flight about 3+ years ago (just before Covid arrived), we also flew East (for some reason I had expected we'd go West), and flew over Moscow and spent a lot of time in Russian airspace.

GC

43 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Doesn't the JFK-SIN stop in FRA?  (And I think pax can even get off/on there?)

The Newark-SIN is non-stop.

I wonder how the routes (and times?) have changed.  When we took that flight about 3+ years ago (just before Covid arrived), we also flew East (for some reason I had expected we'd go West), and flew over Moscow and spent a lot of time in Russian airspace.

GC

SQ has both a JFK-SIN nonstop (A350) and a JFK-FRA-SIN direct (B777). And yes passengers can fly JFK-FRA or FRA-SIN and don't have to do the whole route. 

These routes are usually east in both directions because of winds. For example, right now, the JFK-SIN nonstop is over the Bay of Bengal having flown out of JFK over Ireland, UK, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, and India. SIN-JFK nonstop that's currently in the air, also going east, is over northern Alberta having flown out of SIN over the South China Sea and skirted the east coast of Japan on its way to Alaska and northern Canada. 

Edited by Zach1213

5 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

SQ has both a JFK-SIN nonstop (A350) and a JFK-FRA-SIN direct (B777). And yes passengers can fly JFK-FRA or FRA-SIN and don't have to do the whole route. 

Thanks.

I didn't know about the non-stop from JFK-SIN. I thought the JFK-SIN was only the flight that stopped in FRA, and that the only non-stop was from Newark.  We never explored the JFK-SIN non-stop.  Which plane is the Newark flight on?

We'd love to do that again!

(Yes, really.  And the Book The Cook food was *amazing*!)

GC

53 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

In addition to my (amended) response earlier about routes, an even more interesting one is how flights are routed between Asia and Northern Europe. For example, Finnair and JAL's routes between Tokyo and Helsinki. In the before times, when Russia was an option, both routes were just simply routed over Russia like you mentioned. Now, the HEL-Tokyo flights route south over Central Asia like most airlines are doing. BUT, because of Helsinki's location so far north, it's actually more efficient to fly Tokyo-HEL by going east, skirting the fine line between Russia and Alaska (often barely touching the area around Nome, AK), and up over the north pole towards Helsinki. Really quite interesting, and a recent route can be seen at https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ay62#305287a4

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 1