Bringing medication on board UK

madmedic

Hi we're sailing this summer from the UK . My dad is on controlled drugs (painkillers) having recently had back surgery. Does anyone have any experience with taking such medication on board. They will obviously be prescribed for him and in the original packaging. 

It is recommended that a narcotic or for that matter other drugs, have a letter from your doctor as to why . Meds must be in original packaging.   I travelled awhile after a surgery, on meds, and had no issues

10 hours ago, upwarduk said:

The only place we have been asked about prescription medicines was in Australia.

I agree I've never been asked about my prescription medication but I always have to explain my nebuliser when it's picked up on x-ray. 😄

I think he should get a doctor's letter as bigenboys' post suggests. Hopefully he'll be able to cut the meds down by then anyway.

In our experience the Middle East is the greatest area of concern. There is a long list of prohibited items and the quantity of items is also monitored (as in only enough for personal use and length of stay).

As others have suggested a doctors letter as well as a copy of the prescription and original packaging are advisable.