Do I need to bring original passport on shore excursions

tusconcam

On 4/21/2023 at 7:54 PM, D C said:

Having traveled all over the world on land, with my passport along for the ride, I find that the lost/stolen concern is virtually nonexistent. 

If you have been to Rome or Barcelona you will understand that there are many pickpockets that are quite good at their trade.  We had a pickpocket attempt on one of our excursions.  The tour operators there were watching everyone's back.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

If you have been to Rome or Barcelona you will understand that there are many pickpockets that are quite good at their trade.  We had a pickpocket attempt on one of our excursions.  The tour operators there were watching everyone's back.

Pickpockets in tourist areas generally target the naive. Those who act as if they're walking around Hometown Iowa, purses open in plain sight, not paying attention to their surroundings.  They're as easy to spot as the pickpockets who are watching them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, D C said:

Pickpockets in tourist areas generally target the naive. Those who act as if they're walking around Hometown Iowa, purses open in plain sight, not paying attention to their surroundings.  They're as easy to spot as the pickpockets who are watching them. 

They are very good at getting into backpacks that are zipped without anyone noticing.  

On 4/22/2023 at 6:47 PM, D C said:

Careless people do not justify ignoring the good sense of carrying proper ID. 

Just on private excursion Wellington, New Zealand. She was raised there and formally educated. Instructed us to carry Passport. We always take Passport when in foreign country. 

On 4/22/2023 at 9:47 PM, D C said:

Careless people do not justify ignoring the good sense of carrying proper ID. 

I know many people who travel quite a bit internationally; and only once have heard of a passport being stolen. It was left in a Louis Vuitton "murse" and was hung over a vacant chair. I agree, that is not that hard to keep track of your belongings and avoid pick pockets. Not to mention, I seriously doubt that the pick pocket wants your passport. They want your wallet.

On 4/23/2023 at 10:43 PM, hrhdhd said:

Sure. Which is why I'd never put my passport in a backpack.

They removed a paperclip holding the zipper pulls together on an undershoulder purse and took DW wallet.  London.   A good pickpocket can take pretty much anything they want.  Zipper,  button, velcro are simply challenges to them.

Thus I leave mine on board unless required to carry ashore.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 12:07 AM, CU64 said:

Just on private excursion Wellington, New Zealand. She was raised there and formally educated. Instructed us to carry Passport. We always take Passport when in foreign country. 

I carry mine in a pouch under my shirt hanging from  a string around my neck. Not in a pocket or backpack.

IF you somehow miss the ship you will find having a passport with you makes things so much easier.