Upgrade from inside to balcony

kapeaccruiser

On the Jade last year we had a $130pp upgrade bid for inside to balcony, prices dropped a lot after final payment so I called my PCC to see how much a paid upgrade would be.
Turned out I could upgrade for $10pp, deal was done and upgrade bid cancelled smartish.

• Like 2

I was also on the Gem last November and there was a big price drop after final payment. I was able to upgrade for a whopping 22 dollars and I cancelled upgrade a bid which was especially great as I was traveling solo and upgrades are double occupancy 

It's really a function of the popularity of the cruise.  On my last sailing (I was already in a balcony) dozens of people got upgraded at or around the minimum.  On others, where it's closer to capacity, it will be a lot more costly.  Try doing a mock booking on your sailing and see how many balconies are available.

2 hours ago, Lauren-esq said:

I was also on the Gem last November and there was a big price drop after final payment. I was able to upgrade for a whopping 22 dollars and I cancelled upgrade a bid which was especially great as I was traveling solo and upgrades are double occupancy 

Seriously? How did you do this? Did you just call NCL customer service (or the TA who booked you)? Were you on the 11/6/22 sailing?

1 hour ago, sherrihall128 said:

Seriously? How did you do this? Did you just call NCL customer service (or the TA who booked you)? Were you on the 11/6/22 sailing?

I was with the mostly dream weather in November! I booked in the summer before final payment and watched the prices start to crater (this may not have been the case for everyone, I was solo and the solo supplement which was major when I booked was eventually nonexistent or close to it). At that point I called Norwegian directly and simply asked (but with the numbers in my mind), the price difference to get a balcony. A very nice rep did essentially the same math with my cruise fare versus the current balcony rate and I authorized a credit charge for that pretty nominal fee and she assigned a cabin. I think low capacity on that sailing and watching the price pretty closely for months was key to the ease of it. 

I would really like to upgrade my current ocean view to a balcony but they are only offering guarantees at a price lower than I have paid for an ocean view.

Using the advantage program there is also a chance of getting a bad upgrade so not sure what to do?

8 hours ago, Lauren-esq said:

I was with the mostly dream weather in November! I booked in the summer before final payment and watched the prices start to crater (this may not have been the case for everyone, I was solo and the solo supplement which was major when I booked was eventually nonexistent or close to it). At that point I called Norwegian directly and simply asked (but with the numbers in my mind), the price difference to get a balcony. A very nice rep did essentially the same math with my cruise fare versus the current balcony rate and I authorized a credit charge for that pretty nominal fee and she assigned a cabin. I think low capacity on that sailing and watching the price pretty closely for months was key to the ease of it. 

We must've been on the same cruise. The weather was perfect. 

In the future ,I'll have to look into doing an upgrade vs a bid.

16 minutes ago, sherrihall128 said:

When I did ours, our PCC said there had to be a change even if only 1$, if the new cabin costs less than the original it would involve a cancel and rebook and associated costs after final payment.

So long as there is a charge it's not classed as a rebook.

The only issue we had was the Latitude points offer, the original booking had 1 extra point (2 in total) when we rebooked there was an offer of 2 extra points (3 in total). I was confident we would get one or the other and if we got the three points it would be a bonus.
When we returned we only got 1 point a night, when we queried this we were told that when you upgrade you only get one point a night. True or not, I'm not sure but that is what happened to us and that was the explanation. 

• Like 1

I placed a bid last night for an upgrade with NCL; now, after the fact,  I realized that we could get  a bad location upgrade. My husband has mobility issues and could end up far away from elevators.  I would like to cancel that bid  upgrade.    Is this  possible and if so how do I go about it.  I spoke to my agent and he said he doesn't have  access to  the advantage program. He also said to try to do it manually, but I don't see an area to do that. Can someone please direct me in the right direction.  Thank you.

9 hours ago, jennjess said:

I would really like to upgrade my current ocean view to a balcony but they are only offering guarantees at a price lower than I have paid for an ocean view.

Using the advantage program there is also a chance of getting a bad upgrade so not sure what to do?

I'm of the opinion that there ain't no such thing as a bad balcony...

Since both options are GTY, take the upgrade if you can (not sure you could that in the US), since there is no guarantee your bid would be accepted.

4 hours ago, leyla said:

I placed a bid last night for an upgrade with NCL; now, after the fact,  I realized that we could get  a bad location upgrade. My husband has mobility issues and could end up far away from elevators.  I would like to cancel that bid  upgrade.    Is this  possible and if so how do I go about it.  I spoke to my agent and he said he doesn't have  access to  the advantage program. He also said to try to do it manually, but I don't see an area to do that. Can someone please direct me in the right direction.  Thank you.

go back to your email, or wherever you clicked to take you to the upgrade site.  Once there, you can see your current bid, and there will be a cancel offer.  You should have also received a confirmation email when you placed your bid.  It will also have a link to review your bid(s), where you can cancel 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, julig22 said:

Since both options are GTY, take the upgrade if you can (not sure you could that in the US), since there is no guarantee your bid would be accepted.

Whilst there are no bad balconies there are bad locations, under or over a noisy public area.  I don't like to take that risk so would prefer to be able to see what I am buying.  That option is not available to me right now.

On 4/20/2023 at 8:32 AM, sherrihall128 said:

You may want to consider the NCL MasterCard where you can upgrade using points.  30,000 points OV to BA or 60,000 IN to BA.  Depending on the promotion you get a minimum of 20,000 with your card when accepted (after the obligatory spending). There a sticky on the card I’d you’re curious 

On 4/20/2023 at 6:02 PM, julig22 said:

Lots of bad balconies, depending on the ship. I think the worst are under the gym where you could get people running on treadmills pounding on your head starting at 6 am every day. 

On 4/19/2023 at 11:12 AM, BirdTravels said:

We upgraded from an Ocean View to Balcony with a minimum bid in December. 

I bid for an upgrade as soon as I was sent an email.  We sail in three weeks and still have not gotten a response.  How long before they upgrade?  I am thinking of just having my travel agent upgrade for me.