Bayeux Tapestry - Curious

Carolfay

My idle curiosity has the better of me.  Any insights into why the Bayeux Tapestry (well, embroidery, really) has such a place in the heart of Viking Ocean?

The reproductions certainly have an important place in the ship decor.  Is it because the Normans (as in Norman Conquest) were "Norse Men" - and that's the Scandinavian tie-in?

I think the original tapestry is truly a wonder of the world, and I feel fortunate to have seen the real thing a few years ago.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to having the reproductions close at hand during my upcoming Viking cruise.

The onboard historian will usually give tours of Viking’s tapestry panels several times during the cruise. They only have a portion of the full tapestry but it’s great to see it up close and enlarged. There’s also a portion of the tapestry in a short video in the Viking display area (can’t remember which deck). I recommend the in-person tours!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Carolfay said:

My idle curiosity has the better of me.  Any insights into why the Bayeux Tapestry (well, embroidery, really) has such a place in the heart of Viking Ocean?

The reproductions certainly have an important place in the ship decor.  Is it because the Normans (as in Norman Conquest) were "Norse Men" - and that's the Scandinavian tie-in?

I think the original tapestry is truly a wonder of the world, and I feel fortunate to have seen the real thing a few years ago.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to having the reproductions close at hand during my upcoming Viking cruise.

William the Conqueror is a direct descendent of Rollo, who is buried in Rouen Cathedral. The cathedral actually has a display inside relating to the Vikings. The Normans are proud of their viking heritage. Rollo was hired by the French king to protect Paris from the Viking raiders. He was given Normandy, married the King’s daughter and converted to Christianity.

image.thumb.jpeg.151f7727caf716308a2df374dda5406b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ea88f12353489d570009e77cb37b1435.jpeg

We took the Viking Normandy river cruise a few years ago and visited the cathedral. If you take the Commonwealth tour of the D-Day beaches, one of the stops is to view the tapestry in Bayeux. It also stops at Juno beach and the Pegasus Bridge, which you may recall was a key scene in the movie The Longest Day. Since most people take the Omaha Beach tour, the Commonwealth tour that we were on only had 8 people, two of which were ship’s crew. 

On our recent cruise, the tapestry lecture was given twice.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Carolfay said:

I think you are right but it goes a little deeper than that.

"Norman" is indeed derived from “Northmen” and refers to the ethnic group living in the northern part of what is now France around 1000 years ago. These people were descended from Vikings, who settled in the area during the ninth century.

As I’m sure you already know, Duke William of Normandy landed near Hastings in 1066 and took the throne of England by killing King Harold and defeating his army. The tapestry depicts this invasion.

King William’s Norman associates quickly established themselves as the ruling class across much of England, laying the foundations for many great castles, churches and cathedrals. They physically dominated the countryside and, in the same way, they also imposed Norman culture. 

The Normans were the last to successfully invade the British Isles. As a result, it is their culture (with its Viking roots) that can be seen as underlaying British society to this day. In more recent centuries this underlaying culture has, to some extent, permeated out into the diverse English-speaking countries of the world. 

Viking customers, being predominantly English speaking, can claim to share a degree of cultural heritage that flows back (via colonial Britain and ninth century Normandy) to the Vikings.

It is also worth noting that the word Viking originally meant a traveller. To quote from “The Conversation” website: 

“A víkingr was someone who went on expeditions, usually abroad, usually by sea, and usually in a group with other víkingar (the plural). Víkingr did not imply any particular ethnicity and it was a fairly neutral term, which could be used of one’s own group or another group.”

Whether our home is in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK or the USA, the Bayeux tapestry is a reminder that we share a common Viking cultural ancestry.

Whenever we are on a Viking ship, we are all Vikings!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

William the Conqueror is a direct descendent of Rollo, who is buried in Rouen Cathedral. The cathedral actually has a display inside relating to the Vikings. The Normans are proud of their viking heritage. Rollo was hired by the French king to protect Paris from the Viking raiders. He was given Normandy, married the King’s daughter and converted to Christianity.

image.thumb.jpeg.151f7727caf716308a2df374dda5406b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ea88f12353489d570009e77cb37b1435.jpeg

We took the Viking Normandy river cruise a few years ago and visited the cathedral. If you take the Commonwealth tour of the D-Day beaches, one of the stops is to view the tapestry in Bayeux. It also stops at Juno beach and the Pegasus Bridge, which you may recall was a key scene in the movie The Longest Day. Since most people take the Omaha Beach tour, the Commonwealth tour that we were on only had 8 people, two of which were ship’s crew. 

On our recent cruise, the tapestry lecture was given twice.

We also took the Commonwealth tour so we could see the Tapestry and Bayeux. The town in quaint and we also had a wonderful lunch. We were very happy we did...Although not the American beach head, it was still VERY memorable and Viking had the wreath ceremony.

• Like 2

Billy the Konk is generally thought to be the start of the English (Angles and Saxons) hating the French. 😁

The Normans introduced (or made it the default) feudal system that ultimately lead to the subjugation of the British Isles, and the system of recent (since the magna carta) democracy and reduction of power of the monarch. The Isle of Man still has the traditional pre roman conquest system of government. 

The tapestry was made by Norman nuns somewhere near Oxford, some years after the event, hence the inaccuracies. For this Brit the victory of one lot of invaders over another is nothing to get excited about

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 2:31 PM, KBs mum said:

Billy the Konk is generally thought to be the start of the English (Angles and Saxons) hating the French. 😁

The Normans introduced (or made it the default) feudal system that ultimately lead to the subjugation of the British Isles, and the system of recent (since the magna carta) democracy and reduction of power of the monarch. The Isle of Man still has the traditional pre roman conquest system of government. 

The tapestry was made by Norman nuns somewhere near Oxford, some years after the event, hence the inaccuracies. For this Brit the victory of one lot of invaders over another is nothing to get excited about

Still, your last conquest was 1066, despite several attempts.  Not bad IMHO.  The Normans of Normandy didn’t fair so well in comparison.  

If anyone is ever on the ocean cruise with the historian Michael Fuller, I strongly recommend you go to his Bayeux tapestry tour on board.  It is most entertaining (as are most of his lectures).  He’s been on 2 cruises I have taken recently, and was sad to see him depart from the WC early.

• Like 1

Took the Commonwealth tour with 3 generations 4 years ago. Pegasus Bridge was great. Lots of UK school kids visiting that July day. Cruise Director had my wife & our oldest granddaughter lay the wreath near Juno. Great history lessons.

Paris to Normandy

Edited by philw1776

The mystery to me is why the US beaches and cemetery excursion also stops for a short time at the Commonwealth beaches and cemetery, but the Commonwealth beaches and cemetery excursion wastes time on an embroidery rather than a corresponding visit to the US beaches and cemetery. 

Although my primary interest is Juno beach where my grandfather went ashore, I would also like to pay my respects at the US cemetary/memorial

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

The mystery to me is why the US beaches and cemetery excursion also stops for a short time at the Commonwealth beaches and cemetery, but the Commonwealth beaches and cemetery excursion wastes time on an embroidery rather than a corresponding visit to the US beaches and cemetery. 

Although my primary interest is Juno beach where my grandfather went ashore, I would also like to pay my respects at the US cemetary/memorial

I would think it is a function of geography and travel time (from Le Havre). To get to Omaha beach and the associated cemetery would probably be an extra hour's drive each way. It is not really feasible to do all of the Normandy beaches in one day. 

I did a battlefield tour of the Normandy campaign which easily filled 3 days. The American beaches, St Mere Eglise and other sites are at least a day's tour in themselves.

Edited by SteveH2508
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, deec said:

philw1776  your granddaughter looks so very young for 18 ....she will love it when she is 48!

🙂

Redhead (like this grandfather once was) turned 14 day one of cruise. Viking made a big deal about it.  Big sister was 16. Joan of Arc sites and Bastille Day completed the history lesson. They'd just studied the Bayeux Tapestry in school and were excited to see the real thing.

Edited by philw1776

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

🙂

Joan of Arc sites and Bastille Day completed the history lesson. They'd just studied the Bayeux Tapestry in school and were excited to see the real thing.

Joan of Arc has an impressive impact on teenage girls who might not otherwise engage with medieval history.  Winning over a king, taking over an army, victory over opponents, betrayed through treachery.

She packed a lot of adventure into 19 years

• Like 3

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

🙂

Redhead (like this grandfather once was) turned 14 day one of cruise. Viking made a big deal about it.  Big sister was 16. Joan of Arc sites and Bastille Day completed the history lesson. They'd just studied the Bayeux Tapestry in school and were excited to see the real thing.

I thought you had to be at least 18 to go on a Viking cruise?

To return to The Tapestry….

Stated above ( sorry, don’t know how to properly do quotes):

I’m sure you already know, Duke William of Normandy landed near Hastings in 1066 and took the throne of England by killing King Harold and defeating his army. The tapestry depicts this invasion.

King William’s Norman associates quickly established themselves as the ruling class across much of England, laying the foundations for many great castles, churches and cathedrals. They physically dominated the countryside and, in the same way, they also imposed Norman culture. 

But wasn’t Harald himself descended from Vikings ( Danes or Swedes) at least on his mother’s side, and so couldn’t much of what might be Norse-Norman culture already have been part of the existing culture before William and friends arrived?

Whatever, Enjoy The Tapestry story in any event. 

6 hours ago, Gropo said:

To return to The Tapestry….

Stated above ( sorry, don’t know how to properly do quotes):

I’m sure you already know, Duke William of Normandy landed near Hastings in 1066 and took the throne of England by killing King Harold and defeating his army. The tapestry depicts this invasion.

King William’s Norman associates quickly established themselves as the ruling class across much of England, laying the foundations for many great castles, churches and cathedrals. They physically dominated the countryside and, in the same way, they also imposed Norman culture. 

But wasn’t Harald himself descended from Vikings ( Danes or Swedes) at least on his mother’s side, and so couldn’t much of what might be Norse-Norman culture already have been part of the existing culture before William and friends arrived?

Whatever, Enjoy The Tapestry story in any event. 

The Angles, Saxons, Jutes and a few others had invaded and settled in what by then was called England, they were more Germanic than Norman. The Vikings had settled in a few areas

11 hours ago, KBs mum said:

We spent 4 days in the area when we went to France.  Trying to see everything important in the area is impossible in an afternoon.

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

We spent 4 days in the area when we went to France.  Trying to see everything important in the area is impossible in an afternoon.

True of anywhere, hence why not wasting time on something not relevent. If one tour can visit both memorials/main cemetaries why can't the other, but with time allocation being the other way around

Have just remembered that England had two invasions in 1066, Harold's English Anglo-Saxon army defeated a Viking army in the north before a forced March south to meet the Normans. 

The other way around may be the Vikings mau have won

14 hours ago, Snowcat1 said:

I thought you had to be at least 18 to go on a Viking cruise?

Up until a few years ago Viking River's minimum age was 12, not 18. As always, Viking staff was very welcoming. Later, we got a letter from our Tour Director reminiscing about our family's experience.
There were several 3 generation families on the cruise before us and on our cruise. One 12 year old with siblings up to 21. Youngsters learned about France today & past, D Day, Bastile Day, Joan of Arc, and some learned about the Bayeux Tapestry. Hard to have a much better immersion in history experience.

Elder sister, 16 at the time, at 18 went on Viking Ocean, Iceland. Now hooked as a Viking life experience person.

Edited by philw1776
  • Like 2