Entertainment on P&O Ships

wowzz

22 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

So where's all the bingo players and quizzers?

Must be somewhere?

We do the Syndicate quiz when the children or other family members are with us. We don’t bother if it’s just the two of us. 

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

Have you tried the mocktails on board? Some of them are really nice and of course some of the bars have some decent live music being played too.

Thank you for your consideration, and yes, I discovered a mocktail on my last P&O cruise that I really liked - don’t remember the name but it contained elderflower and mint 👍

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 2:06 PM, zap99 said:

.......and another thing, how great Oriana was in the old days.🤣

Ah, a newcomer!  I sailed on Oriana when it was a year or two old, and our table companions were saying how much better the Canberra was!

On the main topics:  We go to most of the Headliner shows, but less of the others, especially if they are not musical.  (Oddest I saw was on Celebrity, which was basically puppets miming to recent hits.  Mildly amusing for about 1 minute, but after 40 minutes it was desperate.)

We do often listen to the smaller groups of performers around the ship.

My wife doesn't drink at all, and I don't much, so I may get a bottle that lasts four or more meals.  Drinks packages would be way too expensive for the amount we imbibe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I don’t drink and the kids get bored quick sitting and drinking in bars. I wouldn’t really sit and chat with random people and I fear for the people when my kids get talking. 

I wouldn’t bother about that - most people are delighted to find a couple of children as ready as yours to communicate with adults. We seem to be bringing up a generation of children who see adults as a threat, sadly. Our kids used to roam this village and talk to everyone - now they’re all at home and rarely leave.

• Like 1

I rarely if ever go to the theatre at home because I find I can't sit that long and need to fidget or get up. However, I do often watch the shows on board as 45 mins is just right. They do have to interst me though - no ventriloquists or magicians please  and the comics must be funny. One thing I like about Saga is that the shows are also live-streamed to your cabin TV so the best of both worlds. Otherwise I like the syndicate quiz.

• Like 1

I love a good show, but now we cruise with our son I prefer a more relaxed atmosphere where we can’t get tutted at for him asking a question: so Skydome rather than Headliners. 

I think there needs to be a good mix of evening entertainment to spread people out a bit and also to allow people to go to things they like, rather than sitting in shows moaning about it. I always remember our first Ventura trip when a group of 4 women sat behind us and complained about “all this modern rubbish” for the whole 45 minutes of the performance - which considering it was 70s and 80s pop I would hardly think it classed as “modern” 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see the entertainment as part of the cruise.  Seen some really good acts on ships (and some whose failure of BGT should have been taken as a message).   We enjoy the ships singers and dancers in the main.

We equally like a quiz from time to time, enjoy a cocktail while doing nothing on the deck.  We like to dress up on formal night, enjoy sharing a table with strangers and meeting some really nice people.

We enjoy waking up in new places and exploring off the ship.

I think we just enjoy cruising. 

• Like 12

I enjoy going to the theatre when ashore. so I often go to the theatre or show lounge when on a cruise, depending on who is performing. I like the Headliners, so would normally see their shows. But for the rest I am more selective. I avoid 1970's style comedians, and don't go to all of the shows featuring solo singers. I like an illusionist or 'mind reader' as I think they are clever in what they do.

If we aren't going to a show, we would spend a bit more time having a pre dinner drink and have dinner later, making dinner the main feature of the evening.

I think P&O (up to 2019 at least) did well catering for various tastes, from those who enjoy the entertainment to those who enjoy the allegedly sparking repartee that apparently happens in the bars!! 

• Like 3

On 4/22/2023 at 2:36 PM, wowzz said:

As per Sharon's instruction, I am opening a new thread devoted to entertainment. 

To get things moving, can I ask why going to the theatre is such a big part of cruising for so many on here ?  I just don't see the attraction.  Why the need to be entertained every night ? It almost appears as if the entertainment is of more importance than the cruise itself.

Nothing like a contentious post to get things started !

Ok. I’ll try again! I love the theatre. Beats sitting in a bar any day/night. 

6 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Ok. I’ll try again! I love the theatre. Beats sitting in a bar any day/night. 

I don’t think it was your post alone, it was what followed that got a bit ….. erm, I’ll go with contentious.  I’m thinking you may not have seen, and now mine could disappear too 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I don’t think it was your post alone, it was what followed that got a bit ….. erm, I’ll go with contentious.  I’m thinking you may not have seen, and now mine could disappear too 😄

With the number of posts that are deleted on this forum these days, I reckon that the moderator must be a world champion at “Whack a Mole” 🤣 (awaits deletion…..)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

With the number of posts that are deleted on this forum these days, I reckon that the moderator must be a world champion at “Whack a Mole” 🤣 (awaits deletion…..)

Red card, you naughty boy

• Haha 6