Galveston hotel walkable to port or free shuttle service?

Krazyfuntimes

On 4/23/2023 at 9:56 PM, Krazyfuntimes said:

Is there more than one at Galveston? We will be on Harmony next year. Sorry, didn't know there was more than one, lol

No hotels within walking distance.

Nothing is very far on the island.  Lots of hotels on Seawall Blvd, 2 downtown; Harbor House and The Tremont.  Thousands of vacation rentals.

1 hour ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

No hotels within walking distance.

Nothing is very far on the island.  Lots of hotels on Seawall Blvd, 2 downtown; Harbor House and The Tremont.  Thousands of vacation rentals.

Thank you. I have been hearing of horror stories about trying to get a Lyft ride and the traffic to get to the port, so I wasn't sure if there was somewhere we could just stay at and walk. 

35 minutes ago, Krazyfuntimes said:

Thank you. I have been hearing of horror stories about trying to get a Lyft ride and the traffic to get to the port, so I wasn't sure if there was somewhere we could just stay at and walk. 

The new terminal is not very convenient for that.

I live downtown Galveston.  Many hotel shuttles will take you to port.  In addition Lift and Uber are in Galveston.  Have not had many issues, latest I have waited is 15 minutes.  If you have the $$ my recommendation is 1)Tremont (strand area), 2) Harbor House (Strand Area), 3)Grand Galvez (Seawall), 4)San Louis (Seawall), 4)Hilton (Seawall).  All the above will be pricey.  Go to Kayak to find other more reasonable options as well

We stayed at a hotel further down the seawall (about 20 minutes from the port terminal 10 - Allure and probably Harmony also). We just prebooked a taxi 2 days before and had no problems. Some of the local taxis would rather do a few runs between hotels and the port rather than go to one of the airports. 

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

We stayed at a hotel further down the seawall (about 20 minutes from the port terminal 10 - Allure and probably Harmony also). We just prebooked a taxi 2 days before and had no problems. Some of the local taxis would rather do a few runs between hotels and the port rather than go to one of the airports. 

I don’t think taxis before are as big of a problem as taxis after cruise. I think the big concern to watch for is if it is an event weekend and if they have better things to do. 

Galveston has always been a problem for out of town guests regarding transport. The new terminal is even more difficult regarding hotels and even increased pricing of off-site parking because of further distance/time for shuttle and parking at the port. We generally drive and park but transport for repositioning cruises is a problem.

It is going to take some time to work out logistics of the new terminal.

• 5 weeks later...
19 hours ago, SKSMIKE5 said:

What taxi company did you reserve? I called Ready Set Go Taxi and get a weird answering machine. I left a message and am waiting to hear back. 

We called 832-421-2666 but there is a gas station also called Ready Set Go phone # ending 2714. When we called the taxi service, Jim answered so I'm not sure what the voicemail sounds like...

Edited by jbrinkm