Sports Bar on Allure of the Seas

One quick question. Does the Allure of the Seas have a true sports bar? I've looked and only see On Air is that a sports bar?

Thanks I used to travelling on Royal Caribbean Ships that have Playmakers.... 

On air is as close as you will come.  What gets broadcast is variable and there have been some big games that were unavailable on cruises I’ve been on.  So don’t count on anything in particular being broadcast on the ship.  They will show a lot, but many things they won’t get (ex many college football games or certain NFL games…..it can vary a lot).  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 1

If there's something you really want to watch, I recommend getting a streaming based "cable" service. You'll likely need a VPN as well. Most services have phone apps, but you can also use a Firestick or Roku or something and plug that into your room TV.

We've been using Youtube TV and Firesticks for a couple years now and take one with us on all trips. As long as we don't forget to via a Venable the VPN, we can watch anything just as if we were at home.

As @topnole indicated, a Playmakers is not a guarantee that your game will be on. We were on Freedom in the Fall of '21, and the only college football games they would show were those on the ESPN channels, which also included the SEC channel (operated by ESPN). I watched the Iowa @ Iowa State game (Go Hawks!) on my phone sitting in a quiet corner (yes, with earbuds 🙂).

57 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

If there's something you really want to watch, I recommend getting a streaming based "cable" service. You'll likely need a VPN as well. Most services have phone apps, but you can also use a Firestick or Roku or something and plug that into your room TV.

We've been using Youtube TV and Firesticks for a couple years now and take one with us on all trips. As long as we don't forget to via a Venable the VPN, we can watch anything just as if we were at home.

As @topnole indicated, a Playmakers is not a guarantee that your game will be on. We were on Freedom in the Fall of '21, and the only college football games they would show were those on the ESPN channels, which also included the SEC channel (operated by ESPN). I watched the Iowa @ Iowa State game (Go Hawks!) on my phone sitting in a quiet corner (yes, with earbuds 🙂).

Yep.  We were relegated to watching on someone else’s tablet once who did the same as you.  We were all wearing our college attire so it was at least fun to meet others and they were kind to share their screen.  

You are at the whim at what the service the ship uses decides to show.  I was on last week and we got game one of the Bruins-Panthers, but just before game two started it flipped to an NBA game.  I was able to watch on ESPN+ on my phone with no problem.

4 minutes ago, Heckah said:

You are at the whim at what the service the ship uses decides to show.  I was on last week and we got game one of the Bruins-Panthers, but just before game two started it flipped to an NBA game.  I was able to watch on ESPN+ on my phone with no problem.

RCI ships subscribe to ESPN Caribbean, so they are limited to what that channel is showing. Last week in the 7 PM time slot they showed hockey on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights, but like you mentioned, they showed NBA playoffs on Wednesday night. 

On 4/24/2023 at 8:36 AM, George C said:

I have seen football games on tv in pub, also other sports.

We were on Allure last month and they wouldn't change the TV in the pub to a college bball game for us.  They told us they were not allowed to switch the TV off of the channel which was showing the 70's parade for the 500th time.  It was even the singer's night off and the place was empty.  We tried to watch on a laptop, but the Allure wifi was so bad that it was unwatchable.

Also, if you want to see a near mutiny, go to On-Air when they cut off karaoke to put on a sporting event.  I'm not sure they even do sports in On Air anymore unless it is a really big game due to the popularity of karaoke.  So you end up watching the TVs by the bar with no sound while karaoke is going on, or worse yet, watch one of the TVs through the glass outside On Air.

18 minutes ago, mil76 said:

We were on Allure last month and they wouldn't change the TV in the pub to a college bball game for us.  They told us they were not allowed to switch the TV off of the channel which was showing the 70's parade for the 500th time.  It was even the singer's night off and the place was empty.  We tried to watch on a laptop, but the Allure wifi was so bad that it was unwatchable.

Also, if you want to see a near mutiny, go to On-Air when they cut off karaoke to put on a sporting event.  I'm not sure they even do sports in On Air anymore unless it is a really big game due to the popularity of karaoke.  So you end up watching the TVs by the bar with no sound while karaoke is going on, or worse yet, watch one of the TVs through the glass outside On Air.

With pub guy off and no jazz club options are limited, still should have schooner piano bar and boleros , also shows in Central Park, but sucks they wouldn’t change tv . Once saw them show a popular pay per view boxing match for free in pub. 

20 minutes ago, George C said:

With pub guy off and no jazz club options are limited, still should have schooner piano bar and boleros , also shows in Central Park, but sucks they wouldn’t change tv . Once saw them show a popular pay per view boxing match for free in pub. 

I have had luck in the past as well.  Once watched the World Series in the pub while the singer was actually playing.  Half the pub was watching the game and half was there for the singer.  He was very patient as people were cheering for the game in the middle of his songs. 

Currently though the Allure is awful for sports viewing.  Needs a Playmakers badly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mil76 said:

I have had luck in the past as well.  Once watched the World Series in the pub while the singer was actually playing.  Half the pub was watching the game and half was there for the singer.  He was very patient as people were cheering for the game in the middle of his songs. 

Currently though the Allure is awful for sports viewing.  Needs a Playmakers badly.

But I am sure World Series was on cabins tv sane as NFL games , I would assume World Series was also on big screen outside . 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, tbarie said:

I was told that Playmakers was scheduled to be put in on Allure, but delayed at lease three years because of Covid. 

Yes, among many other changes.

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1403/new-amplified-adventures-on-royal-caribbeans-allure-of-the-seas-to-make-a-summer-splash-in-europe/

And also yes, COVID postponed all Amplifications that had not been done yet.

Some people are thinking that the Amplification may happen Spring 2025. She's going into dry-dock and right now, it looks like she may be there long enough. It will be interesting to see if they stick to the original plan or if they'll change any of them.

When the World Cup was on last November, the Symphony played it on the big screen in the aqua theater. The theater was packed and it felt like being at an actual live sports event. People had brought flags and drums and noisemakers etc onto the ship. It was so much fun. 

At the same time, they played football games in playmakers as well as in the Royal theater I believe. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler