Moving a cruise on board if booked with a TA

Presto2

We have a cruise booked for next May 2024, but looking back it was always a 'holding cruise' (if that makes sense) and we were waiting for the right time to move it.

We have seen a 2 week cruise at a decent price to the Canary Islands for about £2860 with £120 OBC later in the year and are wondering if we will be able to move it when on board Britannia in May. (I.e. when we have seen what the P&O offer is like now!)

The only problem is that we booked with a travel agent so are not sure how this could work.

Any / all help appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

39 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We have a cruise booked for next May 2024, but looking back it was always a 'holding cruise' (if that makes sense) and we were waiting for the right time to move it.

We have seen a 2 week cruise at a decent price to the Canary Islands for about £2860 with £120 OBC later in the year and are wondering if we will be able to move it when on board Britannia in May. (I.e. when we have seen what the P&O offer is like now!)

The only problem is that we booked with a travel agent so are not sure how this could work.

Thanks 🙂

I am tempted to say nothing ventured nothing gained. But thinking aboult it I would contact your TA and ask them about the procedure if you see a cruise onboard that you fancy more than the one you have booked with them. I am sure that P&O will be delighted to sell you a cruise but your TA may view the one you have booked with them a as cancellation rather being transfered

• Thanks 1

Normally if you have booked via a TA P&O will not discuss anything regarding the cruise if you contact them and will tell you to contact your TA. I should imagine the same would happen if you spoke to P&O whilst onboard, but moving a cruise is a very simple operation for your TA. Or at least it was with my TA when I did it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks both, this was our thinking but I seem to remember someone say that they had kept a TA in the loop with an on board booking. This may have been a new cruise though. Not a problem, we can sort it.

Thanks again for your help - really appreciated :-)

We tried to do this and we were unable to. We ended up transferring the cruise to a new one via our TA when we got home. We also booked 2 other cruises onboard and they asked if we wanted them passed to our TA. As we get a little discount from them we were happy for them to deal with it. It’s worth mentioning that we only paid £50 pp deposit for the new cruises and got extra obc for booking onboard. Some cruises qualified for double obc. Needless to say the staff were mega busy and there were always people waiting to speak to them. 

• Like 1

If you book a cruise whilst on board, and the cruise you are currently on was booked through an agent, P&O will normally send this new cruise through to your TA.  I would not have thought you could move a cruise whilst on board if you booked through a TA

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Thanks 🙂

I don't think you need to be onboard to amend this cruise, simply talk to your TA and give them the new cruise you want to move it to, and as long as the fare is no less than the original booking, they will be able to move the booking to your new choice.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I think maybe the OP was wanting to move it whist onboard to get the onboard booking benefits but I could be wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time. 

I think you're right, but I don't think you can do that.

We moved a cruise whilst onboard Aurora last November, but that was only allowed because the original booking was made direct with P&O.   

We got the on board benefits for the new cruise, (including £50pp deposit), but had originally paid a deposit of £90pp as a launch offer (£180 total deposit), so that had to remain on the booking.  Actually we subsequently cancelled that second booking, just before balance payment date (last month) and assumed we would have lose the whole £180 deposit.  However, a couple of days later we received a refund of the £80 extra deposit we had paid on that second cruise and a cancellation invoice showing that refund turned up soon after.  Not sure if that should have happened, but we were certainly not complaining about it 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

I think maybe the OP was wanting to move it whist onboard to get the onboard booking benefits but I could be wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time. 

Do P&O want additional money above the original £50pp deposit then?

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Do P&O want additional money above the original £50pp deposit then?

Not for our 2 reservations. £50 pp. I wanted to make sure that we would not be expected to pay the full deposit if either of the cruises were cancelled by us. 

33 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Not for our 2 reservations. £50 pp. I wanted to make sure that we would not be expected to pay the full deposit if either of the cruises were cancelled by us. 

No I was meaning if you later moved the booking to a different cruise.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

No I was meaning if you later moved the booking to a different cruise.

Ah right. In that case yes, you have to pay the deposit under the terms of the new cruise. We had to increase the deposit of the cruise we moved to 10% of the full price minus the deposit already paid for the original booking. 

Hi everyone. TBH we want to change on board as it must be easier than when we moved a cruise with our TA last time on land as the TA were told a number of times by PO that a cabin we wanted was not available. Drove us mad as we could book on line but with PO direct the TA had no clue and we were the ones advising. It took a week of us demanding the cabin we wanted and refusing to listen to the TA. If we need to move it at home we do .... just wanted to take care of the blood pressure 😉 

11 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Hi everyone. TBH we want to change on board as it must be easier than when we moved a cruise with our TA last time on land as the TA were told a number of times by PO that a cabin we wanted was not available. Drove us mad as we could book on line but with PO direct the TA had no clue and we were the ones advising. It took a week of us demanding the cabin we wanted and refusing to listen to the TA. If we need to move it at home we do .... just wanted to take care of the blood pressure 😉 

When I moved a cruise with my well known and used by many it was a simple process. Just informed them by phone I wanted to move a booked cruise they took details of new cruise and then asked me to send them an e-mail confirming cancellation of original cruise. All very simple and easy done very quickly.