Clothing items stolen from stateroom on last evening on board

Reading a review of a ship -

“good service.  However, three of clothing items were stolen from my stateroom on the last evening on board”.

Has anyone had anything stolen from their cabin on a ship?

I haven’t. However I had good pair of leather gloves stolen on the last evening from my room in a hotel in Paris.

I don't think I've ever had something stolen, thankfully.

But we seen a smooth swipe in Portugal by a bunch of gipsies.

We were standing in a square when these women descended on us with colourful scarfs,

trying to make us buy, they insisted putting one around a ladies neck, she shook them of they said sorry and left, about 30 seconds late she suddenly yelled where's my necklace?

Just that quick and it was gone, and so were they.😬

Edited by Ozwoody

1 minute ago, Ozwoody said:

I don't think I've ever had something stolen, thankfully.

But we seen a smooth swipe in Portugal by a bunch of gipsies.

We were standing in a square when these women descended on us with colourful scarfs,

trying to make us bye they insisted putting one around a ladies neck, she shook them of they said sorry and left, about 30 seconds late she suddenly yelled where's my necklace?

Just that quick and it was gone, and so were they.😬

We were warned about “Gypsies” in Paris. Host made my friend take all her jewellery off, told us not to stop for anyone wanting signatures on petitions and about gold ring trick.  

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

We were warned about “Gypsies” in Paris. Host made my friend take all her jewellery off, told us not to stop for anyone wanting signatures on petitions and about gold ring trick.  

Yes they were slick and quick, they came in with flurry, all happy, and then gone, literally just vanished away into the crowd.

Yes I've heard of the gold ring con.

There's a few others to, but can't think of them at the moment, be nice to have a list of them.

I got caught in Spain with the escalator scam. They work in pairs. One gets ahead of you on the escalator and one behind.  Nearing the top of the escalator, the one in front drops some coins or other small thing and bends down to pick them up. You cannon into him. He grabs your arm to right himself and starts to apologise and steer you off the top of the escalator. In the confusion, his partner behind you has picked your pocket, and he walks round the two of you and gets away.   He had managed to cut the chain on a travel wallet in my front pocket without me feeling anything, because I was being "helped" by his partner.

13 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I got caught in Spain with the escalator scam. They work in pairs. One gets ahead of you on the escalator and one behind.  Nearing the top of the escalator, the one in front drops some coins or other small thing and bends down to pick them up. You cannon into him. He grabs your arm to right himself and starts to apologise and steer you off the top of the escalator. In the confusion, his partner behind you has picked your pocket, and he walks round the two of you and gets away.   He had managed to cut the chain on a travel wallet in my front pocket without me feeling anything, because I was being "helped" by his partner.

I hadn’t heard of that one on escalator.  It is

amazing you don’t feel anything in the confusion.  I heard of something similiar getting on a crowded train.  An elderly gentleman was helping my friend get on 1st class carriage on train, with her luggage. He felt a hand in his pocket then much pushing and shoving.  He held on to the small hand and called out and a lady in carriage called out loudly in French.  Whatever she said worked as young Robbers fled!  Moral of story make a noise!!

Another experience on a train in Italy. Very ragged little girl, aged about 12 gets on a crowded train. She is carrying a baby.   She stands next to me and when the train stops at a station, in all the pushing and shoving, she removes my watch very neatly.  Trouble for her is that I saw it happening, but by then the watch had disappeared into her clothes. I did some quick thinking and grabbed the baby as she got off the train.  I just held the baby in one hand and held out my own hand and gestured. She got the message and swapped my watch for the baby before the train doors closed.  No-one tried to intervene or help. I felt very mean about ransoming the baby, but also very sad that she had to live her life this way.

12 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Somebody stole my school lunch in 1973. Im still traumatised. 

You'd better give up travelling again, if your trauma threshold is so low.

Australians tend to be too trusting when travelling, because generally we don't have the level of scams like this at home.

21 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Another experience on a train in Italy. Very ragged little girl, aged about 12 gets on a crowded train. She is carrying a baby.   She stands next to me and when the train stops at a station, in all the pushing and shoving, she removes my watch very neatly.  Trouble for her is that I saw it happening, but by then the watch had disappeared into her clothes. I did some quick thinking and grabbed the baby as she got off the train.  I just held the baby in one hand and held out my own hand and gestured. She got the message and swapped my watch for the baby before the train doors closed.  No-one tried to intervene or help. I felt very mean about ransoming the baby, but also very sad that she had to live her life this way.

What smart thinking, even a thief is not going to give up her baby!  I tried to warn my friend

but she thought she would be OK travelling in

first class.

17 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Somebody stole my school lunch in 1973. Im still traumatised. 

gees man I truly feel for you, you have my full sympathy, I could try and find Harry's and Meg's  phycologist, he supposed to be very good at that type of trauma.

11 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

You'd better give up travelling again, if your trauma threshold is so low.

Australians tend to be too trusting when travelling, because generally we don't have the level of scams like this at home.

🙄😂

A group of passengers off a cruise ship in Paris had stuff stolen on a train.  When they got to the Police Station to report the theft (to

make insurance claim) they were surprised to

see other passengers from the same cruise

ship.  Maybe the cruise lines should have lectures to make people more aware of the latest scams

• Like 1

In Vancouver with my In-Laws in 2010 at a restaurant the day before leaving for a an Alaskan cruise. A large group of people got up after eating and walked past us. Didn't think anything of it  until it was almost time to go. My MIL couldn't find her purse. Pretty sure when the group of people left, they just lifted her purse which was hung on the back of her chair. Her passport was in it and a new camera. Luckily she was able to go to the US embassy and get a temp passport. 

9 minutes ago, Prometheus1 said:

In Vancouver with my In-Laws in 2010 at a restaurant the day before leaving for a an Alaskan cruise. A large group of people got up after eating and walked past us. Didn't think anything of it  until it was almost time to go. My MIL couldn't find her purse. Pretty sure when the group of people left, they just lifted her purse which was hung on the back of her chair. Her passport was in it and a new camera. Luckily she was able to go to the US embassy and get a temp passport. 

Handbag on the back of the chair is very trusting. I wouldn't even do that in Melbourne. I always make sure I'm making physical contact with my bag - I've known people here who've had them nicked from under the table. Always have your bag across your body while you're travelling and the 'dummy purse/wallet' inside containing a dollar or two, with your 'real' wallet hidden in a zippered compartment elsewhere.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Handbag on the back of the chair is very trusting. I wouldn't even do that in Melbourne. I always make sure I'm making physical contact with my bag - I've known people here who've had them nicked from under the table. Always have your bag across your body while you're travelling and the 'dummy purse/wallet' inside containing a dollar or two, with your 'real' wallet hidden in a zippered compartment elsewhere.

My daughter and I have small backpacks with two zippers at the back (tissues kept in here)

It has one zipper in the middle next to our back which is entry to purse.  Getting on a bus in Oxford Street London, I watched a pickpocket open one of the false zips, as did the lady behind me!  

14 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My daughter and I have small backpacks with two zippers at the back (tissues kept in here)

It has one zipper in the middle next to our back which is entry to purse.  Getting on a bus in Oxford Street London, I watched a pickpocket open one of the false zips, as did the lady behind me!  

When in a crowded situation, I never leave a backpack on my back. I always wear it in front, like a baby sling and hold on to it.

• Like 2

Never had anything stolen on a cruise ship or in a country overseas, but while the wife and I was asleep in a cabin in Moree a couple of the locals thought it was a good bit of fun to kick the door in of our cabin and rush in and grab the wife’s hand bag and me after them through the caravan park, had no chance of catching them when they went over the fence.

6 minutes ago, qbay46 said:

Never had anything stolen on a cruise ship or in a country overseas, but while the wife and I was asleep in a cabin in Moree a couple of the locals thought it was a good bit of fun to kick the door in of our cabin and rush in and grab the wife’s hand bag and me after them through the caravan park, had no chance of catching them when they went over the fence.

That would have been scary.  Were you both asleep ?

Yes - has happened twice on 2 separate cruises.  Hesitate to say stolen but went missing. My mother "lost" a lovely outfit . She had packed and said she hadn't seen her outfit which she had worn the night before . I said she must have packed it but it was not there when she got home!  Mixed up in the laundry change on the last day ?  Also my uncle had a  very distinctive hat go missing.  The room steward located  in the laundry !  Mixed up in the laundry change laundry change?