Airport To Port Transfer Question

Ssheppardva

Hello All, as a party of four, if we plan to take advantage of NCL‘s, transfer to the port, and a return to the airport following the cruise. Will we say goodbye to our luggage upon arrival at the port and exiting the bus OR will we need to claim our luggage before reporting for check-in? TY!!

You hand your luggage over to porters before going through security (which is before check-in).  I've experienced both where I had to hand my bag off myself and where the driver had a porter come right to the bus and took care of it for me.

45 minutes ago, Ssheppardva said:

Hello All, as a party of four, if we plan to take advantage of NCL‘s, transfer to the port, and a return to the airport following the cruise. Will we say goodbye to our luggage upon arrival at the port and exiting the bus OR will we need to claim our luggage before reporting for check-in? TY!!

Depending on the port, when you hand your bags to the bus driver is the last time you handle them until the bags arrive at your room. There are some ports where you have to transfer the bags from the bus to the porters yourself. Check with the NCL greeters at the airport. 

Thank you hallux and BirdTravels for your replies. Sorry I neglected to mention we are sailing out of Miami on the Escape. Since two preteen grandchildren are traveling with us, G’dad and I figured we’d have enough to worry about🤦🏼‍♀️ I very much appreciate your taking the time to respond. SS

Be sure to add the NCL luggage tags (with your cabin number) while you're waiting for the bus at the airport.

That will speed up getting your bags into the porter's cart at the pier, and you won't be fumbling with your purse and the kids stuff while you find them.

The porters like you to claim your bags and hand them over, because otherwise they don't get tips.

On 4/25/2023 at 4:24 PM, Ssheppardva said:

Thank you hallux and BirdTravels for your replies. Sorry I neglected to mention we are sailing out of Miami on the Escape. Since two preteen grandchildren are traveling with us, G’dad and I figured we’d have enough to worry about🤦🏼‍♀️ I very much appreciate your taking the time to respond. SS

Just returned from the Escape sailing out of Miami. At the Miami airport, the contact person was near baggage carousel #10 ( she had a moveable podium with NCL on it ) and directed us down to carousel #6, got in line, names were checked off ( gave voucher found in the Edocs ), given a boarding ticket and waited until enough folks arrived to fill the bus. Once we had enough, were shepherded outside to a waiting bus, and the driver took the luggage. At the pier, the driver unloaded the luggage at the curb, we then claimed ours and passed it over to the porter. We tipped the driver and the porter but some folks just got off the bus and walked in, wondering if they ever got their luggage.      

Edited by JIMESOPUS

from personal experience in both barcelona, and trieste. we gave our luggage to the driver who promptly stowed them on his bus. when we arrived at the pier he unloaded our luggage which we then collected individually, and gave them to the porter  on the dock. they are very close by, and will come over if you wave at them. the next time you see your luggage is in front of your cabin door, a few hrs later. 

one important caveat. keep important papers. cruise docs passports medicines (and some people recommend a swim suit) in a carry on, because it will be awhile before you and your main luggage are re-united.

Thanks, everyone!! I really appreciate all the very valuable suggestions-especially the part about tipping the porters < chuckle, chuckle> Who knows, perhaps that will speed up the arrival of our bags outside of our cabin! SS

tipping porters doesn't really speed up the arrival of your bags outside of your cabin. tipping porters may ensure that your bag doesn't disappear or get mishandled before it is turned over to the ship. (or the tip is simply a reward for the hard work that they do.)

the porters at the pier do not go onboard the ship; the ship's personnel deliver the bags to your cabin.