Two questions about Koningsdam

RAS4331

We have an upcoming cruise on Koningsdam, and we've been watching You Tube videos to familiarize ourselves with the ship.

1) It looks as though there is a nice lounging area on the deck above the Lido pool (overlooking the pool).  Are these private Lido cabanas or are they open to anyone? 

If private, I assume it is like on other ships and you have to reserve them once on board, not in advance.

2)  What exactly is the spa hydropool?  In pictures it looks like it's just a big hot tub, with the addition of the two shower heads.  I wondered if there was something more to it that made it special.  Or is the appeal mainly in the fact that it is more private than the poolside hot tubs?

Thanks, fellow cruisers!

The free loungers above the pool, while looking attractive quite frankly are not all that comfortable for any extended sitting. Perching on them for a while is fine, but I wouldn't count on a day by the pool on any of them.

Best use for them is sitting there, people watching and enjoying their really, really good gelato from the pool side gelato stand ( small extra cost, but well worth it. )

That said,  as our cruise went on I did notice they got "occupied" and staked out with personal belonging earlier and earlier in the day,  so someone did enjoy them, whenever they finally showed up.

• Thanks 2

Like others have said, the area above the pool is open to anyone but people start "reserving" them with a book or beach bag very early in the morning! Personally, I found them to be too hot when the roof was closed and when the roof was open you had to tie back the curtains or they would blow and hit you. Also, I found the loungers far more comfortable than the 2 person couch. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

The free loungers above the pool, while looking attractive quite frankly are not all that comfortable for any extended sitting. Perching on them for a while is fine, but I wouldn't count on a day by the pool on any of them.

Best use for them is sitting there, people watching and enjoying their really, really good gelato from the pool side gelato stand ( small extra cost, but well worth it. )

That said,  as our cruise went on I did notice they got "occupied" and staked out with personal belonging earlier and earlier in the day,  so someone did enjoy them, whenever they finally showed up.

After seeing so many comments about chair hogs, I really want to grab anything left on a chair, throw it overboard and keep walking. 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, RAS4331 said:

Or is the appeal mainly in the fact that it is more private than the poolside hot tubs?

Yes, more private, no kids around, but also much better for lounging in and relaxing.  The regular hot tubs on HAL ships are shallow and small. The hydrotherapy pool in the spa has water deep enough to cover you while laying on the metal lounger bars atop the very strong bubbles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

After seeing so many comments about chair hogs, I really want to grab anything left on a chair, throw it overboard and keep walking. 😀

NO! You shouldn't throw anything overboard. But you could hide things, like maybe leave them in a corner somewhere. Small things could go into the "used towel" bin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, BigMattT said:

Yes, more private, no kids around, but also much better for lounging in and relaxing.  The regular hot tubs on HAL ships are shallow and small. The hydrotherapy pool in the spa has water deep enough to cover you while laying on the metal lounger bars atop the very strong bubbles.

It's deep enough to stand in front of the side jets. It's great for walking to relax tired muscles after a long day in port.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The loungers that overlook the main pool like others have said are first come first serve and no charge to use these “cabanas”. There is a paid area called The Retreat, but those are outdoor up on Deck 12.

The hydropool is part of the Thermal Suite which is a wonderful place to relax on the Koningsdam. Definitely less busier than other areas, however when I sailed to Alaska on the Koningsdam last year, I had no problems finding a hot tub to myself at certain times of the day.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

NO! You shouldn't throw anything overboard. But you could hide things, like maybe leave them in a corner somewhere. Small things could go into the "used towel" bin. 

I'm aware of this. I'm only kidding. 😀

So, what is a responsible and proper way to deal with chair hogs? I hate the fact that people ignore common courtesy and think the rules do not apply to them. And related to common courtesy, I apologize if this is hijacking the original post and will gladly received a responsible and proper response to me doing so. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bruinboy said:

BTW, is there a Non-Chair Hog club or organization one can join?

That sounds a little vigilante, but I'd join!

Seriously, there really isn't anything you can do. There are signs asking people not to reserve or hold chairs, but the crew do nothing about it. I can't really blame them. I wouldn't want to get yelled at by an angry chair hog. And as much as I would like to collect all the hats and sunglasses and books and just dump them all together on one chair, I would be the one to get in trouble.

L2020557.JPG

• Like 3

For those of you who have booked the thermal suite package on Konningsdam, is there anywhere to relax/lay that isn't heated loungers? I am seeing a possible clamshell in the T-pool area but that looks a bit dark. Is it policy to allow those with thermal spa packages use the relaxation room for the spa for relaxed reading?

17 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

For those of you who have booked the thermal suite package on Konningsdam, is there anywhere to relax/lay that isn't heated loungers? I am seeing a possible clamshell in the T-pool area but that looks a bit dark. Is it policy to allow those with thermal spa packages use the relaxation room for the spa for relaxed reading?

Yes, most of the non-heated loungers were in the room where the hydrotherapy pool is. I believe you can also use the relaxation room (I didn’t), however this can be busy at times with guests waiting for treatments. I’ll actually be onboard the Koningsdam again on May 6th, so I can double check this.

Edited by WanderlustJourney
Updated info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bruinboy said:

So, what is a responsible and proper way to deal with chair hogs? I hate the fact that people ignore common courtesy and think the rules do not apply to them. And related to common courtesy, I apologize if this is hijacking the original post and will gladly received a responsible and proper response to me doing so. 

We were on the Koningsdam for 35 days. The first couple days the pool attendants were actively marking unoccupied chairs with stickers and removing items after their time had expired. I think people did take notice and things got better but unfortunately after 3 or 4 days it all stopped. I don't know if someone complained or they were short staffed.

Two loungers were saved next to me and the pool attendant asked if it was my stuff and I said no and he removed all the items & towels. When the people returned the attendant told them they could collect their items at Guests Services. I have no doubt they had a few choice things to say at GS. It seems like it would be better to have a shelf or cabinet on the pool deck to store the collected items.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Coolcruise02 said:

We were on the Koningsdam for 35 days. The first couple days the pool attendants were actively marking unoccupied chairs with stickers and removing items after their time had expired. I think people did take notice and things got better but unfortunately after 3 or 4 days it all stopped. I don't know if someone complained or they were short staffed.

Two loungers were saved next to me and the pool attendant asked if it was my stuff and I said no and he removed all the items & towels. When the people returned the attendant told them they could collect their items at Guests Services. I have no doubt they had a few choice things to say at GS. It seems like it would be better to have a shelf or cabinet on the pool deck to store the collected items.

I disagree with having a shelf or cabinet on the pool deck.  I think it's a good idea to make it as inconvenient as possible for the Chair Hogs to retrieve their stuff.  Some of the Chair Hogs are evolving.  On my last cruise someone had their bag cable locked to the lounger.  Perhaps they will need to start equipping the pool attendants with bolt cutters.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I disagree with having a shelf or cabinet on the pool deck.  I think it's a good idea to make it as inconvenient as possible for the Chair Hogs to retrieve their stuff.  Some of the Chair Hogs are evolving.  On my last cruise someone had their bag cable locked to the lounger.  Perhaps they will need to start equipping the pool attendants with bolt cutters.

Wow! And I thought the ones who fastened their towels to the chairs with clamps were bad.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Coolcruise02 said:

If they would stick with this for a while longer, people might get the message. Some people hog the chairs because they're greedy and inconsiderate. Others "claim" a chair to use for a while because they know the hogs will take them all day if they don't. If the greedy ones lose their chairs, then other people may relax about "claiming." I don't sit by the pool often, but once in a while I'd like to read there for an hour or so. The only time I've been able to get a lounger is on a port day. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

DH called them "warming trays."

I liked them!  Since about 99.9% of us experience some sort of back pain, this was quite unique.  And it works! IMHO at least. I was considering bringing some marshmallows next time and cooking them while cooking my back. 

Edited by curtdesilets
Added humor