Live From the Sapphire Princess! (29 April - 10 May)

Drdarkknight

An update on our damaged luggage (for anyone interested in the process).

Got a call day 3 to say unrepairable & to come to GS to fill form. I didn’t know who rang, hence some confusion on arrival and I was asked to identify my bag from a line up of about 8-10 cases that had been damaged and repaired, sadly mine not among them. The form was about compensation: make, model, when bought, how much paid etc. Here the real stress began with language difficulties and misinformation as I panicked over how to get my things home with no suitcase and a broken wrist! First told no problem, the store could sell us a suitcase (big relief) so off we went to find they don’t sell big suitcases onboard, only small travel bags that would barely hold my socks and knickers! I’d need at least 3 and none were on wheels. Upon return to GS, now more stressed, told to go shopping in port or later at home! Really panicking now as later at home doesn’t work and we have planned activities/excursions at every port! Spent all day googling luggage stores with Internet intermittent and hanging. None of the stores we found were within easy reach of the pier. Returned to GS, begging them to somehow do something to enable us to use it to get home. They said they’d have the upholsterer take another look and see what they could do.

Tonight returned to cabin to find suitcase fixed with all of its wheels. I could have cried with relief. They must have had the missing wheel all the time! Does it look pretty? No, but it will get us home!! Now I can finally relax and enjoy the cruise instead of constantly focussing on disembarkation! 

IMG_8511.jpeg

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

So, you’re saying I shouldn’t bother packing shorts for my September Alaska cruise on the Sapphire?

This is May. September can be very different...AND in Alaska when predicting the weather- anything is possible. LOL @BamaVol I've worn shorts AND down jackets in AK, many times! Come prepared. All good.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AlibearNS said:

An update on our damaged luggage (for anyone interested in the process).

Got a call day 3 to say unrepairable & to come to GS to fill form. I didn’t know who rang, hence some confusion on arrival and I was asked to identify my bag from a line up of about 8-10 cases that had been damaged and repaired, sadly mine not among them. The form was about compensation: make, model, when bought, how much paid etc. Here the real stress began with language difficulties and misinformation as I panicked over how to get my things home with no suitcase and a broken wrist! First told no problem, the store could sell us a suitcase (big relief) so off we went to find they don’t sell big suitcases onboard, only small travel bags that would barely hold my socks and knickers! I’d need at least 3 and none were on wheels. Upon return to GS, now more stressed, told to go shopping in port or later at home! Really panicking now as later at home doesn’t work and we have planned activities/excursions at every port! Spent all day googling luggage stores with Internet intermittent and hanging. None of the stores we found were within easy reach of the pier. Returned to GS, begging them to somehow do something to enable us to use it to get home. They said they’d have the upholsterer take another look and see what they could do.

Tonight returned to cabin to find suitcase fixed with all of its wheels. I could have cried with relief. They must have had the missing wheel all the time! Does it look pretty? No, but it will get us home!! Now I can finally relax and enjoy the cruise instead of constantly focussing on disembarkation! 

IMG_8511.jpeg

Thank goodness!  How were these suitcases all damaged?

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

Thank goodness!  How were these suitcases all damaged?

No idea but I was shocked to see so many! We’ve taken many Princess cruises and never had this happen before. 

24 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

So, you’re saying I shouldn’t bother packing shorts for my September Alaska cruise on the Sapphire?

September is very very different than the first days of May. I’ve sailed here in late august. There’s no snow but still rain. I wore everything from shorts to parka. Ymmv 

It is so true when folks say the weather in Alaska is variable. 

I always take selfies of myself so I can see what type of clothing I was wearing on a particular cruise. Really helps when packing to do a repeat.  

• Like 2

I’ve been watching the naturalist & guest lecturer in my cabin on the tv. They really are outstanding. 
My restaurant mgr Vasco said we have 2300 or so on board. With the cold wet rain and great programming to attend it has felt pretty crowded to me. 

I was chatting with our naturalist Sunday before her talk with 6 or 7 others. Close quarters 20 minutes or so. I went into the theater and sat down for the talk but it got too crowded with mostly unmasked folks so I left. 

Later when I watched her on the tv I heard her deep phlegmy cough. She said she was loosing her voice due to just starting the season and talking so much and projecting so loud. I was a college professor and lectured for 20 years. Every fall semester I would “lose” my voice in the first week or two of classes. I assure you that is NOT how it sounds…… at all. I am not a doctor so offer no diagnosis to what that cough she has is from.  But as she and I entered the theater together she looked at me and said “you are wise to wear that mask”. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I’ve been watching the naturalist & guest lecturer in my cabin on the tv. They really are outstanding. 
My restaurant mgr Vasco said we have 2300 or so on board. With the cold wet rain and great programming to attend it has felt pretty crowded to me. 

I was chatting with our naturalist Sunday before her talk with 6 or 7 others. Close quarters 20 minutes or so. I went into the theater and sat down for the talk but it got too crowded with mostly unmasked folks so I left. 

Later when I watched her on the tv I heard her deep phlegmy cough. She said she was loosing her voice due to just starting the season and talking so much and projecting so loud. I was a college professor and lectured for 20 years. Every fall semester I would “lose” my voice in the first week or two of classes. I assure you that is NOT how it sounds…… at all. I am not a doctor so offer no diagnosis to what that cough she has is from.  But as she and I entered the theater together she looked at me and said “you are wise to wear that mask”. 

Oh no..best of luck. 

57 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Be prepared. My BIL wore shorts virtually every day. Shoot, everyone was in shorts and swimsuits when we pulled away from Ketchikan in September when it was 75 degrees.

Bring layers from summer to winter clothing.

• Like 2

Just now, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Our steward has suddenly started wearing a mask and last night’s dining was chaotic. Only one guy at the door booking in and showing to seats AND handing out menus while the line up waited! We were on time for the reservation but had to wait a while to be seated then 45 mins to first course. Missed the YES NO 😞 Our waiter was the first great waiter we’ve had but clearly there were staff shortages and they weren’t saying why.

MDR lunch has been difficult unless you’re prepared to share. We went at 12.30 first day and couldn’t get seated. Told to go back in 45 mins so gave up. Second day turned up at 12.05 and told we should have come earlier! They did take cabin number and had us come back at 12.50 and they called us from the line up. Luckily we had late dinner reservation else would have given up again.
Went to store to get some mints last night. Listed to be open till 11pm but was closed at 10.30 when we went.

47 minutes ago, nini said:

Be prepared. My BIL wore shorts virtually every day. Shoot, everyone was in shorts and swimsuits when we pulled away from Ketchikan in September when it was 75 degrees.

Bring layers from summer to winter clothing.

The problem is, living in Florida, winter clothes must be ordered online.  And will not have future usefulness.  I’ll be packing lots of layers and probably no shorts.  I have lightweight golf pants that take up virtually no room in a suitcase. Long socks underneath might provide some additional warmth.

18 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

The problem is, living in Florida, winter clothes must be ordered online.  And will not have future usefulness.  I’ll be packing lots of layers and probably no shorts.  I have lightweight golf pants that take up virtually no room in a suitcase. Long socks underneath might provide some additional warmth.

One of our best investments, was a packable down.  Light weight , hardly any space, once folded,

warm, great for cruises in the winter, outside of Florida, of course.  If you

only go to warm places…not so much.

16 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

See how it goes. You can always purchase a layer or two on board,  if you need to. Or in towns. In September the stores right at the dock often have good discounts. Wait and see what the weather is like st the time. Have fun!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

DH has some of those pants that you can unzip the bottoms and then you are wearing shorts.

Gosh I hope this video of a huge calving at Hubbard Glacier loads!   Simply outstanding day!  Yes there was sleet yes there was rain yes it was really cold but when you have these overcast days the glacial blue ice is so vibrant. It doesn’t translate well in my photos. I’m sure professional photographers were able to capture it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Gosh I hope this video of a huge calving at Hubbard Glacier loads!   Simply outstanding day!  Yes there was sleet yes there was rain yes it was really cold but when you have these overcast days the glacial blue ice is so vibrant. It doesn’t translate well in my photos. I’m sure professional photographers were able to capture it. 

IMG_2824.mov

We LOVE Hubbard Glacier. People always want to go to Glacier Bay, but Hubbard Glacier is kind of a secret and noir favorite.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nini said:

DH has some of those pants that you can unzip the bottoms and then you are wearing shorts.

I bought a pair of those for Weight Watchers weigh ins. Still have them. Kept most of the weight off too. 👍🏻

• Like 1

We are being super unlucky this cruise! Yesterday ordered the Elite afternoon tea for two at 3pm on Hubbard Glacier day. Explained I wanted the vegetarian version, no meat. She said, you only want vegetable sandwiches? I said yes, no meat. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what arrived - only vegetable sandwiches, 5 small identical avocado and beet sandwiches on a plate. The delivery guy said even he was surprised we didn’t want the scones or pastries. He’s going to let them know… sigh.

So disappointing after after being outside for hours Glacier viewing and looking forward to tucking into those cream scones. And worse, DH hates beetroot. I think I am cursed! Please send good vibes!!!

• Haha 2

Just now, HaveDogWillTravel said:

It’s snowing!!!! And just so pretty. Camera doesn’t capture it well these are from earlier today. 

IMG_2819.jpeg

IMG_2814.jpeg

IMG_2825.jpeg

IMG_2822.jpeg

IMG_2787.jpeg

IMG_2784.jpeg

We were up there. Loved every minute even if we got a bit wet lol! Did you see the sea lions? They were so noisy coming in!