Could Cruise Critic please approach someone at Celebrity for comment on the Asia overbooking fiasco?

Belgian fry

@NMTraveller I am intrigued by the overstated earnings idea if it is true X kept the overbooking under wraps for up to two reporting periods (2 x 3 mos). If they figured out that overbooking could increase revenue by even a few percent, could that give a boost to a stock price artificially? I don't know how their revenue for booked cruises gets reported, and I doubt that deposits alone would have any noticeable effect, but some disgruntled shareholders might be tempted to complain to the SEC if a really bad PR problem was kept secret.

The "Company Goodwill" on a balance sheet might take a hit!

14 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@NMTraveller I am intrigued by the overstated earnings idea if it is true X kept the overbooking under wraps for up to two reporting periods (2 x 3 mos). If they figured out that overbooking could increase revenue by even a few percent, could that give a boost to a stock price artificially? I don't know how their revenue for booked cruises gets reported, and I doubt that deposits alone would have any noticeable effect, but some disgruntled shareholders might be tempted to complain to the SEC if a really bad PR problem was kept secret.

The "Company Goodwill" on a balance sheet might take a hit!

I suspect that the earnings boost is a fraction of a percent.

However I have seen shareholder lawsuits filed for lesser offenses...

The PR problem is TBD...

I have been a bit suspicious about why they were trying to scrape pennies back in January in the MDR.  Some were saying that X was trying to boost earnings so that they could be sold.  All pure speculation.  My WAG is that they were trying to get favorable financing rates for a new ship.  Just my WAG...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Perhaps we agree?  The cruise lines are in need of regulation due to bad behavior.

I have said that for years. The way cruise lines are allowed to flout common norms and rules just by being foreign-flagged and not subject to most domestic regulations has to end. I wouldn't mind if they had to employ people properly either even if that means elevated prices for the cruise fare.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I suspect that the earnings boost is a fraction of a percent.

However I have seen shareholder lawsuits filed for lesser offenses...

The PR problem is TBD...

I have been a bit suspicious about why they were trying to scrape pennies back in January in the MDR.  Some were saying that X was trying to boost earnings so that they could be sold.  All pure speculation.  My WAG is that they were trying to get favorable financing rates for a new ship.  Just my WAG...

New ship? Hopefully without so many IV cabins….. 

• Like 2

I am on one of the affected sailings and our booking appears to have been spared from the culling of reservations. I know there is no good way for Celebrity to handle this situation but if I were king for a day and I wanted to attempt to make it right for my passengers, I would allow them to lift and shift to any cruise they want (up to and including +/- 2 days of the original itinerary). Let them book any similar number of nights cruise in the same cabin on any ship (minus Galapagos ships) they originally had and also give them that $450 FCC as OBC. It will still suck to be cancelled but opening up a world of options will keep people a bit happier.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I have said that for years. The way cruise lines are allowed to flout common norms and rules just by being foreign-flagged and not subject to most domestic regulations has to end. I wouldn't mind if they had to employ people properly either even if that means elevated prices for the cruise fare.

Easy to say, but the elevation in prices would be substantial.  The way I see it these days cruising is ridiculously expensive right now anyway.  I can't imagine what the fares would need to be if they were required, for example, to follow US employment and other related laws.

• Like 1

I feel for people who are impacted on upcoming cruises, and I am frankly amazed at what Royal is offering, especially for cruises quite a ways off.  Years ago we had a cruise cancelled by Celebrity less than 6 months prior to sailing. We were offered $100 pp OBC and the ability to switch to another cruise of a similar 7 day itinerary.  Unfortunately it was during Spring Break and none of the other options were during that time and we had a school kid with us, so we had to just get a full refund instead.

Why was it cancelled?  Charted by a nudist group.  I kid you not.  This happens more often than you think (the chartering I mean).  For people booked a year ahead of time or more, I guess I am shocked at what people expect in the way of compensation.  Disappointing?  Yes of course.  But realistically if we're talking over a year away there is lots of opportunity to make other plans.  And as to airlines, most allow one change right now with no change fee.  Granted, it would have to be to the same place, but at least it's an option to book on another line or do a land tour.  I know these options are not available for everyone.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I feel for people who are impacted on upcoming cruises, and I am frankly amazed at what Royal is offering, especially for cruises quite a ways off.  Years ago we had a cruise cancelled by Celebrity less than 6 months prior to sailing. We were offered $100 pp OBC and the ability to switch to another cruise of a similar 7 day itinerary.  Unfortunately it was during Spring Break and none of the other options were during that time and we had a school kid with us, so we had to just get a full refund instead.

Why was it cancelled?  Charted by a nudist group.  I kid you not.  This happens more often than you think (the chartering I mean).  For people booked a year ahead of time or more, I guess I am shocked at what people expect in the way of compensation.  Disappointing?  Yes of course.  But realistically if we're talking over a year away there is lots of opportunity to make other plans.  And as to airlines, most allow one change right now with no change fee.  Granted, it would have to be to the same place, but at least it's an option to book on another line or do a land tour.  I know these options are not available for everyone.  

A very sensible post. 

13 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

But you sign up to their rules when you book with them. Simple resolution, don’t.

17 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I thought about this some more.  A charter is just annoying as an overbooking.  The cruise lines should be regulated with rules as they obviously can't behave in an appropriate manner.

You know the rules when you book, you can’t really complain when they are enforced

• Haha 1

Serious question - for those that have been cancelled, what are you being charged by your airline in change fees? I can’t remember being charged any more than $250 for an international change ($400 for business), and many airlines have dropped change fees altogether. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

Serious question - for those that have been cancelled, what are you being charged by your airline in change fees? I can’t remember being charged any more than $250 for an international change ($400 for business), and many airlines have dropped change fees altogether. 

Not due to Celebrity but back in September Delta Airlines gave us a credit for non refundable canceled flight.  Partner got Covid.

2 hours ago, MandL said:

Same here with United. We were not charged. They gave us a credit for the amount we paid for the ticket.  We had one year to use it.

Yet that would probably not work for someone that had a cruise in 2023 and Lifted and Shifted to 2025?

8 hours ago, C4HCG said:

You know the rules when you book, you can’t really complain when they are enforced

Of course you can complain. And just because it's in their contract doesn't mean it's actually legal in the country where it was sold. I've been in court with both airlines and cruise lines and won every single time. Simple rule: Don't be a pushover when they try to bend you over the railing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Yet that would probably not work for someone that had a cruise in 2023 and Lifted and Shifted to 2025?

Well, no. But if your cruise was cancelled wouldn’t you want to go on a different vacation in 2023? You could use your airfare credit for that. 

• Like 1