Food You Enjoyed in Turkey (Kusadasi)?

We have a scheduled port in Kusadasi, and I am suuuuuuuper unfamiliar with Turkish food! I'm looking for dishes more than restaurants, though I'd be open to suggestions. We'll be going to Ephesus and then either a market or the beach, so I'm not sure exactly where we'll be eating. I'll have my husband, who will be very excited and adventurous about local cuisine, and my teens, who will be decidedly NON-adventurous and not wanting much spice, with me somewhere in the middle. Would love any suggestions! Thanks!

Mmmmmmm baklava 😋😋😋

A nutty concoction in filo pastry, soaked in honey.

A treat from cafes & bakeries, very definitely nothing to do with a meal.

And super-sweet, just the one is as much as anyone would want

For something more substantial, sish kebab (skewered chunks of meat and veg) or dolmades (usually meat, but always wrapped in vine leaves - much tastier than it sounds), Lots of lamb dishes, lots of rice dishes.

Or same routine as Spanish tapas, meze - best shared by all in the group and ideal for grazers or those who can't make their minds up.

Turkish coffee is black and very strong & bitter. Even stronger & more bitter than coffee that's been sat for hours in the urn in ships' buffets. 😣

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

Not food, but TEA.  The coffee isn't to our taste either,  unless you ask for "Nescafe" rather than "coffee "as the latter would be the Turkish version.  OTOH, we love the apple tea which is found everywhere and served in tittle glasses.  We have also brought some home with us. 

And another vote for the meze.  Love what they do with chick peas, aubergine etc.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

Turkish food has some similarities to Greek food, and also to other Middle Eastern cuisines. It is generally not too "spicy" although they do use various spices masterfully.

In Kusadasi itself, near the port, there are a number of fresh seafood restaurants with (very) fresh fish, simply prepared but delicious. Eaten with "mezzes" such as hummus, baba ghanoush, etc. it makes for a good meal. 

Turkey's version of pizza is called "pide" (pronounced pee-day) -- bread with delicious toppings, usually baked in individual portion sizes. I haven't seen these as much in Kusadasi but have eaten them in Istanbul and other places in Turkey.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 1

We walked toward the yacht harbor (turn left leaving the cruise dock area, follow the boardwalk), and they have a few patio restaurants out on the pier/breakwater facing the cruise ships.  Turkish food is not spicy like Thai - it is similar to Greek.  One dish you might recognize  - Doner - which is similar to Gyros.  Kebabs - meat grilled on a skewer are semi common here.   The beer is very good - some of the best in Europe.  You can do a trial run in your home area first there is usually a Turkish place in every city. 

Edited by AtSeaAlways
  • Thanks 1

Would someone be able to confirm the following are representative of local fish and seafood for Kusadasi? 

Fish Market in Kusadasi
It is on the right before coming to the port.You can find the fresh catch of the day. Whether it is mackerel, octopus, sea bass, gray mullet, red mullet, anchovy, sea bream, squid, or many other types of fish you will find it for sale here.

I didn't seem to be able to pull up a lot of good results when searching "Kusadasi local fish".  This was the best result I got as most of the results were just seafood restaurant recommendations.  

To take home as a souvenir or present you will find everywhere boxes of Turkish Delight.  It's a type of sweet that's covered in icing sugar with different flavourings. 

And should you want to visit the store where Turkish Delight/Lokum originated,HAKI BEKIR  it is close to the entrance/exit at the lower level of the Spice/Egyptian market  so you may well be close to it anyway..

If exiting the market turn right and walk along until you see the shop on the right hand side.  If outside facing the entrance/exit to the Spice/Egyptian market, turn left.  The shop is quite small but has interesting exhibits inside.  Plus lots and lots of flavours. Probably some of the best quality in town, but  for that quality it is more expensive.

Edited by edinburgher

14 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Would someone be able to confirm the following are representative of local fish and seafood for Kusadasi? 

Fish Market in Kusadasi
It is on the right before coming to the port.You can find the fresh catch of the day. Whether it is mackerel, octopus, sea bass, gray mullet, red mullet, anchovy, sea bream, squid, or many other types of fish you will find it for sale here.

I didn't seem to be able to pull up a lot of good results when searching "Kusadasi local fish".  This was the best result I got as most of the results were just seafood restaurant recommendations.  

Are you looking for an actual fish market or for a restaurant? 

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Are you looking for an actual fish market or for a restaurant? 

Trying to determine what fish and seafood are commonly caught locally in the Kusadasi area and will be in season when we go in June to get a better idea what we may want to order at a restaurant.  

2 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Trying to determine what fish and seafood are commonly caught locally in the Kusadasi area and will be in season when we go in June to get a better idea what we may want to order at a restaurant.  

Aha, got it. I would say those are pretty representative from what I recall seeing on the menus.

I often say that I never really liked calamari much until I had it in Turkey. Ditto with eggplant -- they do amazing things with that humble vegetable and use about 20+ different kinds of it in their dishes.

Edited by cruisemom42

Thanks!

Similarly, I wasn't a big fan of eggplant, octopus, fish in general, and other stuff growing up.  But trying foods with different preparation methods when travelling kind of changed my mind on many items.  I can't say I enjoy everything I come across but it's nice to discover new dishes that become favs.  

On 4/29/2023 at 9:59 PM, Milhouse said:

Thanks!

Similarly, I wasn't a big fan of eggplant, octopus, fish in general, and other stuff growing up.  But trying foods with different preparation methods when travelling kind of changed my mind on many items.  I can't say I enjoy everything I come across but it's nice to discover new dishes that become favs.  

It is really nice that you are open to trying them though🙂 I have seen so many threads with folks who only stick with what they know....meat and potatoes.  I mean, I like that too but when I am in other countries I LOVE trying their foods😀then again, I have always liked being adventurous when it comes to trying new things (especially in the culinary field).  I just returned from a cruise that sailed around Turkey and Greece and it was fabulous😀