Disembarkation in Amsterdam

Skicruiser55

12 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

How was the walk...how long did it take?  We are staying at the Hilton Schiphol on our last night in Amsterdam and have a flight at 10:35am.  Now wondering when we should leave the hotel….

Security at AMS is brutal...especially if passing through going from one flight to another.  I have never been treated so badly as I was going through their security at AMS….

The Hilton is so convenient, I would stay there again in a heartbeat. (Thankfully they had room when our flight was canceled for us to do a morning check-in. AA didn’t give us vouchers but told us to submit receipts for a hotel of our choice as they had no flights that day. Since we had stayed there upon arrival, we knew it was an ideal option). I think we padded our time and gave ourselves 20 minutes so we wouldn’t feel rushed, as I do not walk fast.

I had a similar experience in the mid-2000s at AMS with security. I was treated in such a way that I refused to fly through there for several years thereafter—even opting for Rotterdam flights with a London layover instead of a non-stop transatlantic—that’s how traumatic it was for me. Thankfully it’s been much better for me since I began flying through there again, but I’m sorry to hear of your very unfortunate experience. I hope the situation is better now.🙏

Edited by syesmar

33 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am surprised that they did not disclose that when you booked.  Any tour/transfers I have had with HAL give that information in the description before purchasing.  It should be easy to get a cab or Uber at the terminal.  I see no alerts on the airport website.  Here is their tool with their expected congestion report.  https://www.schiphol.nl/en/my-travel-day/today

I was already planning to take a cab later in the day, but had arranged the transfer for my mother since her flight is a lot earlier than mine. She wasn’t super confident going to the airport alone. I have scheduled a taxi for her on staxi.nl. It is a bit frustrating they allowed her to book it online, but then canceled onboard. There’s no reason they can’t have an 8:00 shuttle bus.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ockatty said:

…There’s no reason they can’t have an 8:00 shuttle bus.

I’ve been told in the past that they have their time perimeters for the transfers because if someone on the shuttle missed their flight even if it wasn’t the shuttle’s fault, HAL doesn’t want to bear that responsibility. AMS has been notorious over the last couple of years for excessive wait times. If the ship was late getting into port, and then if disembarkation ran behind, there could be some passengers who miss their flights even if they left with a reasonable amount of time by most standards.

I feel for your frustration and agree she should have been informed when booking. I hope it all works out!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

First understand, it is closer from the lobby than it is from the taxi stand.  Schiphol is an elongate airport, review the maps on their website before your travels.  From the lobby of the hotel to the checkin is an at least 10 full minutes for a brisk walker, maybe more.  We laughed when we finally boarded that we had gotten all of our steps in just at the airport.  HAL has a luggage shipping program in some locales, I think it is called luggage forward, maybe luggage direct.  Anyway there are quite a few luggage shipping programs out there. I have never tried them but it might be worth looking into. 

A 10-15 minute brisk walk sounds ideal!  We walk our very energetic dog at least that long every day.  Of course, we will both be pushing along a medium and small sized suitcases instead of having the dog pull us. 🤣 

I am not sure if we would now be alright to leave the hotel at 7:00am, or if we should leave earlier with a 10:35am Delta flight.  This will be on May 31st, a Wednesday.   When we originally booked this flight, it was to leave at 1:15pm.  Not happy that it changed times.  If HAL has a shipping program in Amsterdam, we will be sure to take them up on that!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

The Hilton is so convenient, I would stay there again in a heartbeat. (Thankfully they had room when our flight was canceled for us to do a morning check-in. AA didn’t give us vouchers but told us to submit receipts for a hotel of our choice as they had no flights that day. Since we had stayed there upon arrival, we knew it was an ideal option). I think we padded our time and gave ourselves 20 minutes so we wouldn’t feel rushed, as I do not walk fast.

I had a similar experience in the mid-2000s at AMS with security. I was treated in such a way that I refused to fly through there for several years thereafter—even opting for Rotterdam flights with a London layover instead of a non-stop transatlantic—that’s how traumatic it was for me. Thankfully it’s been much better for me since I began flying through there again, but I’m sorry to hear of your very unfortunate experience. I hope the situation is better now.🙏

Sorry that I just saw this.  I did not realize that the thread had a 2nd page.  Thank you so much for the information.  We look forward to our short stay after returning from a post cruise trip to Belgium.  We booked a nice King Deluxe Corner room.  We have been happy with Hiltons.  In fact, we have 4 booked for our upcoming trip.  The Hilton Atlanta airport, the Double Tree Hilton Centraal Station in Amsterdam, The Hampton Hilton Antwerp, and the Hilton Schiphol.  Should rack up a few points!!!

I checked the site that Mary229 linked to and have answered my own above question.  Seems that we cannot check-in until 7:35.

"You are welcome from 07:35"

Busy

We expect you will have to wait a while at the check-in desks and security control.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

A 10-15 minute brisk walk sounds ideal!  We walk our very energetic dog at least that long every day.  Of course, we will both be pushing along a medium and small sized suitcases instead of having the dog pull us. 🤣 

I am not sure if we would now be alright to leave the hotel at 7:00am, or if we should leave earlier with a 10:35am Delta flight.  This will be on May 31st, a Wednesday.   When we originally booked this flight, it was to leave at 1:15pm.  Not happy that it changed times.  If HAL has a shipping program in Amsterdam, we will be sure to take them up on that!!!

We left early and got through with a few minutes to spare last year - which has to have been the worst.  We quickly stopped in the priority lounge and grabbed breakfast.   So leave early and hope you have time for the lounge breakfast .  BTW, your flight will likely change again!  If it is not manageable contact the airline and see if they will let you fly next day then enjoy an extra day in Holland.  (Head over to Gouda by train or driver for a relaxing walk around)

3 hours ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Being new to HAL I am glad I asked this question since I would be impacted having bought the HAL transfer.  Based on this information I will pre-arrange a private transfer,  

Although you're right about getting there faster, from what others said it seems that HAL will be responsible if you use their transfer. But I guess that doesn't do you any good if you miss the flight.

7 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Although you're right about getting there faster, from what others said it seems that HAL will be responsible if you use their transfer. But I guess that doesn't do you any good if you miss the flight.

If you stick to the transfer and they exclude flights prior to a given time - that is on you.   I keep hearing how HAL will guarantee various aspects of flight travel and I don’t think I would rely on that.  I use FlightEase but once it is ticketed I manage every aspect of my own travel. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

If you stick to the transfer and they exclude flights prior to a given time - that is on you.   I keep hearing how HAL will guarantee various aspects of flight travel and I don’t think I would rely on that.  I use FlightEase but once it is ticketed I manage every aspect of my own travel. 

Yeah, I do all my own airline stuff, and for this cruise am aware that I need a day after arrival.

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I booked with Flight Ease that’s why I am surprised they allowed me to book the transfer IF my flight is too early 12:40.  I will keep the transfer booked until I get on board to sort it out and also book a refundable private transfer in case I need it.  Just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to make that flight.  

5 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

I booked with Flight Ease that’s why I am surprised they allowed me to book the transfer IF my flight is too early 12:40.  I will keep the transfer booked until I get on board to sort it out and also book a refundable private transfer in case I need it.  Just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to make that flight.  

That's why I wonder what they would do if you miss the flight. Might be worth asking.

@Skicruiser55, I think I know the answer to your question.  Not everyone who books thru Flight Ease books a transfer with HAL.  So I'm not sure if the flight and transfer bookings communicate with each other.  In any event, I think you're cutting it to close with a 12:40 pm flight, especially at Schiphol.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

@Skicruiser55, I think I know the answer to your question.  Not everyone who books thru Flight Ease books a transfer with HAL.  So I'm not sure if the flight and transfer bookings communicate with each other.  In any event, I think you're cutting it to close with a 12:40 pm flight, especially at Schiphol.  

Even if you don’t book through HAL, if you complete your check in with flight information they do match up the info for transfers.  The cutoff in these cases seem to be one o’clock. The person whose transfer was cancelled had a time of flight change so her transfer was subsequently canceled.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

We left early and got through with a few minutes to spare last year - which has to have been the worst.  We quickly stopped in the priority lounge and grabbed breakfast.   So leave early and hope you have time for the lounge breakfast .  BTW, your flight will likely change again!  If it is not manageable contact the airline and see if they will let you fly next day then enjoy an extra day in Holland.  (Head over to Gouda by train or driver for a relaxing walk around)

From the notice that I got from your link, I am not even sure if bags can start being checked until 7:35.  If we arrive at check-in at 7:15 or so, we should be good although we may have to wait for them to start checking baggage. 

I just cancelled my reservation at the Hilton, rebooked same type room, and saved 89 euro!  I was making sure that I had not included breakfast, and discovered the rate had dropped.  I hope we do have time to grab something at the airport, but I wonder if something small would be served on the airplane with a 10:35 departure, or would they skip to lunch after the plane settles.  Probably so!  Just in case, we will take a little something in DH's backpack.  Thank you, again!

Skicruiser55 - Hope it all works out for you!

Ockatty - Hope your mom gets to the airport in a timely fashion.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Skicruiser55 - Hope it all works out for you!

Thanks!  I went ahead and booked a private shuttle for 8:30.  We’ll have priority debarkation so that’ll help.  I’d rather be safe than sorry and counting on the HAL transfer that could get cancelled.   

Where are you in TN - we lived in Franklin for 14 years.  

24 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

…I just cancelled my reservation at the Hilton, rebooked same type room, and saved 89 euro!  I was making sure that I had not included breakfast, and discovered the rate had dropped.  I hope we do have time to grab something at the airport, but I wonder if something small would be served on the airplane with a 10:35 departure, or would they skip to lunch after the plane settles….

Good for you @Iamthesea! We did a cancel-and-re-booking just before our last stay, as well, snagging a “last-minute” special for good savings.

I believe the flights serve their first meal about 90 minutes into the flight.

All the Best!

I did the same and picked the last Wednesday that showed. I don't know why 35 minutes makes a difference, but suspect they may have brackets to check in based on your flight time.  Sort of like embarking on the ship.  Glad to know that baggage check-in will be open earlier.   You would think the site would not give a time to check-in knowing that perhaps you would not make your flight. so I hope that means that the airport is now running more efficiently.   

What is your flight number...are you going to ATL?   I plan to check again next week.

4 hours ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Where are you in TN - we lived in Franklin for 14 years.  

We live in NE Tennessee about 1.15 hours from the NC border (Asheville) and the same from distance from Knoxville.  Virginia also borders us.  We are part of the TRI Cities.

4 hours ago, syesmar said:

Good for you @Iamthesea! We did a cancel-and-re-booking just before our last stay, as well, snagging a “last-minute” special for good savings.

I believe the flights serve their first meal about 90 minutes into the flight.

All the Best!

I modified another reservation and saved almost 50 Euro.  Found out that the reservation does not have to be canceled.  It can be modified, which includes booking at a better rate. 😀  The Hilton at Centraal Station has actually gone up.  So we have almost an extra 150 Euro to do with what we want  in Amsterdam.  Yay!!!  

• Like 1

My mom was able to self disembark in Amsterdam from the Rotterdam this morning at 7:30. We had arranged for a staxi at 7:45. She arrived at the Schipol airport at 8:15 and was through security and passport control by 9:30. My flight is at 16:15, but they aren’t allowing anyone to checkin until 3 hours before the flight.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Lots of good information here. Thanks to all who have contributed. For those who stayed at the Hilton I have a couple questions. How much was the taxi from the port to the Hilton and is the surface easy to push your luggage from the hotel to the airport? I have recently had hand surgery so need to be careful. 

Was the train station convenient to the Hilton?  I guess that was a third question!

@cruising sister A taxi cost the 2 of us the equivalent of $85 USD on a Sunday in 2019.

We found the floor surface easy to push our luggage from the hotel to the airport. 

The train station is quite convenient. The train station is below the airport terminal building. You go from the train station to the elevator or escalator up to the plaza and then another set into the long covered walkway leading to the hotel. There are signs showing the way. See this and this for more.

Edited by syesmar