Onboard Account uses

kong24

Hi, this is my first time going on a cruise, and I have some questions about how the Onboard account is being used.

When I do the online check-in, I noticed that I have to give my credit card info and a pre-authorized hold will be charged on embarkation day.

1. Does the onboard credit from the HIA package get added to this?

2. Will they take out the crew appreciation from the onboard account daily? at the end of the trip? (I got confused because someone told us that OBC can be used for crew app, and someone said we couldn't).

In general, what's the recommended time to board the ship?

1 minute ago, kong24 said:

Hi, this is my first time going on a cruise, and I have some questions about how the Onboard account is being used.

When I do the online check-in, I noticed that I have to give my credit card info and a pre-authorized hold will be charged on embarkation day.

2. Will they take out the crew appreciation from the onboard account daily? at the end of the trip? (I got confused because someone told us that OBC can be used for crew app, and someone said we couldn't).

The crew appreciation hits the onboard account each day. It will come out of the onboard credit.

7 minutes ago, kong24 said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL Forum.

You onboard account will start with a credit for earned or purchased OBC.  Each day, your daily charges will be deducted.  Those will be crew appreciation daily charge, bar purchases, Specialty Restaurant charges, Shops purchases, excursions, MDR surcharges (lobster tail, etc,) internet upgrades, Spa charges, Photo Gallery charges, etc.  You can follow your daily charges on your Navigator app and your stateroom TV.  Eventually, your credit account balance will become amount owed.  If you stall have a credit balance at the end of your cruise, with very few exceptions, you will not get a refund to your credit card.  Spend every last penny while onboard.

Your credit card will not be charged daily rather just a hold will be in effect in case your account balance needs to be charged at the end of your cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You also have the option to give cash in lieu of a CC and can select that instead of entering your CC. Any amount left at the end will be refunded back to you - just go down the night before and ask to cash out or you can go very early in the morning before you leave the ship. The hold placed on your card will be equal to $60/day for each day of the trip for each passenger. So, if you're on a 7 day cruise, they'll do a hold of $420 per person.

The process works as Crew News described above with one exception. Look at the very end of your statement - if the OBC is broken into 2 sections, 1 will be identified as "non refundable," the other will not. You will want to spend all of the nonrefundable as that won't get credited, but if you have any of the other OBC left, it will be refunded to your CC. Or you can cash it out.

An additional hold will not be put on your card unless you spend more, including OBC, than their original hold. So, OBC is used before yourcCC.

If you're concerned about spending and want to control it a bit more through OBC, you can buy OBC for yoyrself. It is fully refundable to your CC or in cash if you don't use it all.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Edited by Haljo1935

9 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

You also have the option to give cash in lieu of a CC and can select that instead of entering your CC. Any amount left at the end will be refunded back to you - just go down the night before and ask to cash out or you can go very early in the morning before you leave the ship. The hold placed on your card will be equal to $60/day for each day of the trip for each passenger. So, if you're on a 7 day cruise, they'll do a hold of $420 per person.

The process works as Crew News described above with one exception. Look at the very end of your statement - if the OBC is broken into 2 sections, 1 will be identified as "non refundable," the other will not. You will want to spend all of the nonrefundable as that won't get credited, but if you have any of the other OBC left, it will be refunded to your CC. Or you can cash it out.

An additional hold will not be put on your card unless you spend more, including OBC, than their original hold. So, OBC is used before yourcCC.

If you're concerned about spending and want to control it a bit more through OBC, you can buy OBC for yoyrself. It is fully refundable to your CC or in cash if you don't use it all.

Enjoy your cruise!!

You can also pay using a Holland America gift card...just apply the card value at the service counter.

AARP sells $100 and $500 HAL gift cards at a 10% discount so this is a nice way to save a little on your onboard purchases, or even to pay down your cruise booking at a 10% discount.  $90 for a $100 card, $450 for a $500 card.  You don't have to be an AARP member to buy the cards either.  I believe there is a 5 card/month purchase limit.

27 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

Haljo1935 - Is the hold on credit card $60/day/person on longer cruises too?

I noticed when I put my credit card number on my booking the other day the hold was noted as $1500.  It's a 25 day cruise so yes, $60/day but not per person, per cabin.  Now I can't see that hold amount on my account information so can't tell you 100%.  

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

Haljo1935 - Is the hold on credit card $60/day/person on longer cruises too?

I think StLouisCruisers said it well, but just to confirm - the longer cruises do have smaller holds.  As long as your credit card has lots of room (or a good credit) it’s a non issue.

• Thanks 1

You should be able to see the HIA package credits for shore excursions and specialty dining available throught the app or on the website when you have signed in (to start your check-in).

You may be able to book those right away, depending on how many days out until you sail. My cruise is now 200 days out and the dining reservations just showed up as available. Shore-ex was also available right away, and I suggest you book your favorite right away or it may be sold out by departure!

if the OBC is broken into 2 sections, 1 will be identified as "non refundable," the other will not. You will want to spend all of the nonrefundable as that won't get credited, but if you have any of the other OBC left, it will be refunded to your CC. Or you can cash it out.

How do we make sure that the non-refundable is being used up first?

2 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

How do we make sure that the non-refundable is being used up first?

HAL already uses the non-refundable OBC first. You don't have to lift a finger. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1