Help with tipping in San Francisco

Korimako

33 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Tipping culture in Canada is not like NZ where they don't tip. Canada is like the USA.

That is too bad.  It has been many years since I've visited Canada and didn't clearly recall how we were handling tipping during our last visit.

With the prevalence of the severe increase in minimum wage in many parts of the U.S., supposedly to better the lives of service workers, I had hopped that the U.S. could break itself of the tipping culture.  As prices have gone up, I'm no longer doing the 20% thing.  While the mental math is a bit harder, I'm starting to max out at 15% and am hovering around 10%.

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Yes, the tipping culture is starting to vary from state to state. I think because some states have raised the minimium wage and even eliminated the low cash tip rate while others maintain the old low rates. So if Washington has a minimium wage now of $16 instead of $7.25 it seems like it should change but tipping culture is ingrained from the low wage past.

Minimum wage in Seattle is over $16 because the city seems to think it is its own fiefdom.  I believe the minimum in the rest of the state is just over $15 now, and it is supposedly indexed to CPI, which makes for an ever worsening cost situation.  If anyone wonders why McDonalds and nearly ever other fast food joint is moving to self-service kiosks and "order on the app" methods, this is why.  If you can have a limited number of front staff, wiping tables, and tidying up the dining room, and not programming a till and taking cash, and focus your staffing costs on where you absolutely have to have it, in the kitchen, you might be able to keep your prices in check.  Otherwise, it's "Nellie, bar the door".

9 hours ago, 2022cruisey said:

With the various commissions and taxes, are they mentioned on menus or anywhere so that you can do an approximation of the total cost?
The Aussie dollar is weak against the US so having an idea of what I am paying for a meal before choosing it is very helpful.

Always read your bill before paying, any kind of surcharge or "commission" will be listed.  If they have put it on the receipt you are stuck paying for it.  I'm not aware of any legal actions which specifically state that a surcharge has to be declared up front on menus, however most reputable restaurants will have the surcharge listed on the bottom of their menus or the bottom of their display boards.  It saves them the headache of having a bunch of angry customers and gives the manager some documentation to use to justify the line item on the bill.  As for tipping, with or without any surcharges, I wouldn't worry about doing so.  As a visitor, your contact with servers in restaurants will be limited to that visit.  Don't feel like tipping, don't bother, they will never see you again and they will survive without your tip.  Feel like tipping, through a couple of bucks down, maybe a $5 and be done with it.

As an aside, you don't see this surcharge junk in rural or less populated America.  So, using Washington State as an example.  If you go east of the Cascades you don't see this occurring at dining establishments (not 100% no, but incredibly rare).  And if you are a good distance north or south of Seattle, it also tends to disappear.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jeromep said:

As a visitor, your contact with servers in restaurants will be limited to that visit.  Don't feel like tipping, don't bother, they will never see you again and they will survive without your tip.  Feel like tipping, through a couple of bucks down, maybe a $5 and be done with it

International visitors to cities that get tourists like San Francisco, New York, Washington DC and Florida are stereotyped as low tippers because those visitors do tend not to tip much or at all because they come from cultures where tipping is not customary. Servers definitely recognize Australian, British and New Zealand accents. So since their expectation is low for a tip those visitors may get less service than middle class Americans. I have known a few servers and they hate British tourists. They think they are cheap. I explain to them that servers in the UK get paid a living wage so tipping is not expected there and the tourists can’t conceive that servers get a low tipped wage. Since the servers won’t expect much I guess something could be said for fulfilling the expectation since the tourist is unlikely to return. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2022cruisey said:

With the various commissions and taxes, are they mentioned on menus or anywhere so that you can do an approximation of the total cost?
The Aussie dollar is weak against the US so having an idea of what I am paying for a meal before choosing it is very helpful.

Most nicer restaurants will post their menus online either on their FB  page or website so you can see prices

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2023 at 6:01 PM, Korimako said:

Gosh - this an etiquette minefield!! There are several points in these replies which confuse me, so here goes! Basically, anyone I come across who does anything for me, no matter how trivial, will expect to be paid?

People are making it more complicated than they have to.

The TripAdvisor link I posted has links to AARP, Emily Post, US News, etc that explains in detail, in short:

Tip a server (waiter) in a sit down restaurant, 15% is acceptable, I usually tip 20%.

Tip a bartender $1 a drink when you are sitting at the bar. If I order a complicated drink (Mojito), I tip more.

Tip a cab driver 10%.

Tip a porter (hotel, airport or port) $1-2 a bag. Even if I had one bag, I'd still tip the port porter $5.

You see tip jars at fast food places, I usually only tip if I've gotten special service, like Chipotle or Jersey Mike's where an individual creates my meal to my requests or at Starbucks when I order a double hot, no foam, skinny, half caf, flat white. If I order regular coffee, no tip usually.

There are regional and city differences. In Las Vegas you tip virtually everyone from the porter, to the person who sells you a newspaper to the girl walking down the Strip at 6AM with her high heels in her had just because she entertaining you.

1 hour ago, jeromep said:

That is too bad.  It has been many years since I've visited Canada and didn't clearly recall how we were handling tipping during our last visit.

With the prevalence of the severe increase in minimum wage in many parts of the U.S., supposedly to better the lives of service workers, I had hopped that the U.S. could break itself of the tipping culture.  As prices have gone up, I'm no longer doing the 20% thing.  While the mental math is a bit harder, I'm starting to max out at 15% and am hovering around 10%.

A local new restaurant/bar is opening with a "no tip" policy but with a 20% service charge on every receipt, clearly stating that the service charge collected will be distributed to all employees based on hours worked.  They were unable to attract experienced servers, bartenders or cooks.  So far, the debut is struggling because of lousy service including those sitting at the bar, ordering a beer.  One could starve at a table because there is no incentive to hustle.   A monthly "bonus" of your share of the service fee is taxed higher than wages and does not count towards your social security wages which becomes very important in later years.  

What you may not be aware of is that servers are taxed on sales which is about 8% of your bill so if you are tipping 10%. the servers are keeping 2%.  

13 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

A local new restaurant/bar is opening with a "no tip" policy but with a 20% service charge on every receipt, clearly stating that the service charge collected will be distributed to all employees based on hours worked.  They were unable to attract experienced servers, bartenders or cooks.  So far, the debut is struggling because of lousy service including those sitting at the bar, ordering a beer.  One could starve at a table because there is no incentive to hustle.   A monthly "bonus" of your share of the service fee is taxed higher than wages and does not count towards your social security wages which becomes very important in later years.  

What you may not be aware of is that servers are taxed on sales which is about 8% of your bill so if you are tipping 10%. the servers are keeping 2%.  

I am assuming that your state has a tipped minimium age like my state does. The server definity gets screwed here if we don't tip the servers. The minimium wage is $7.25 here and have a tax on sales. California and Washington have higher minimium wages and might have done away with the tipped minimium wage. I don't know if they still have tipped minimium wages or not. 

53 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

32 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I am assuming that your state has a tipped minimium age like my state does. The server definity gets screwed here if we don't tip the servers. The minimium wage is $7.25 here and have a tax on sales. California and Washington have higher minimium wages and might have done away with the tipped minimium wage. I don't know if they still have tipped minimium wages or not. 

We do have minimum tip wage.  Interestingly, the place I mentioned above just posted this.  I did post the wrong service fee though

image.png.de399b19923052ab544c7593005f54a3.png

Edited by Elaine5715

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

California and Washington have higher minimium wages and might have done away with the tipped minimium wage. I don't know if they still have tipped minimium wages or not. 

California has never had a tipped minimum wage that I remember, the current state minimum wage is $15.50 an hour and SF minimum wage will be $18.07 in 2023 (July). Businesses still cannot find workers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

A local new restaurant/bar is opening with a "no tip" policy but with a 20% service charge on every receipt, clearly stating that the service charge collected will be distributed to all employees based on hours worked.  They were unable to attract experienced servers, bartenders or cooks.  So far, the debut is struggling because of lousy service including those sitting at the bar, ordering a beer.  One could starve at a table because there is no incentive to hustle.   

A few restaurant owners in the Bay Area got together and started a no tip policy. They said they'll have living wages, health care, and other beanies. Didn't last long, wait staff complained they made more $$ with tips; beanies were nice, but they rather have more $$.

Edited by Philob
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Philob said:

A few restaurant owners in the Bay Area got together and started a no tip policy. They said they'll have living wages, health care, and other beanies. Didn't last long, wait staff complained they made more $$ with tips; beanies were nice, but they rather have more $$.

Anyone who remembers having to do group projects in school know how a "no tip" policy works in a team environment.  

On 4/28/2023 at 9:01 PM, Korimako said:

Basically, anyone I come across who does anything for me, no matter how trivial, will expect to be paid?

No, on vacation you should expect to tip wait staff at sit-down restaurants (not fast food), taxi drivers (not Ubers) and tour guides.  That'll pretty much cover you.  

I will only have carry-on baggage (small roller acceptable as international cabin baggage) and my handbag (purse I believe you call it?) Do I really need help to get it out of the taxi and up to my room??

No, you don't need help /you don't need to tip.  Even if you have more /have a family, the front desk has carts you can borrow

I still haven't worked out to do percentages on the calculator on my phone, so that won't help me much:classic_sad:

Practice with 10% (the easiest) and you can work up or down from there.  

11 hours ago, jeromep said:

... Always read your bill before paying ...

Yes, this Xs 10.  Since the topic is tipping, some places add the tip automatically -- if it's added already, you don't want to double tip.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

23 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Kinda late if you are trying to plan

Plan dinner that far in advance?  I'm a planner but I still look at the menu before I go in and always have a backup plan.  Many SF restaurants that were open during the week are now only open on weekends.  One of our go to spots Johnny Foley's Irish Pub next to the Hilton Union Square use to be open seven days a week.  Last time we went to the City it was closed M-Th.  It's sad but without the business people working in the City during the week a lot of restaurants are closed up or seriously cutting their hours.    

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

One of our go to spots Johnny Foley's Irish Pub next to the Hilton Union Square use to be open seven days a week. Last time we went to the City it was closed M-Th.

Johnny Foley's Irish Pub is only closed Monday & Tuesday now and John's Grill (of Maltese Falcon fame) is open everyday.

3 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Johnny Foley's Irish Pub is only closed Monday & Tuesday now and John's Grill (of Maltese Falcon fame) is open everyday.

The food scene in SF has really become a shadow of it's former self with all the office workers going remote and wait staff being hard to come by.  I'm sure the summer tourist months will be better.  We were there for a weekend at end of January and areas we like to go were a ghost town.  There's a recent photo montage by a SF newspaper showing work week high noon before/after pandemic photos of downtown.  It's really sad.   

14 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Plan dinner that far in advance?  I'm a planner but I still look at the menu before I go in and always have a backup plan.  Many SF restaurants that were open during the week are now only open on weekends.  One of our go to spots Johnny Foley's Irish Pub next to the Hilton Union Square use to be open seven days a week.  Last time we went to the City it was closed M-Th.  It's sad but without the business people working in the City during the week a lot of restaurants are closed up or seriously cutting their hours.    

The OP was trying to know well in advance of what costs to expect with meals.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

The OP was trying to know well in advance of what costs to expect with meals.  

This is especially important when dining with friends or family ... you don't want to take them to a place they can't afford, or one that might not be up to their standards.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

This is especially important when dining with friends or family ... you don't want to take them to a place they can't afford, or one that might not be up to their standards.  

Exactly.  I send menus and restaurant websites to traveling partners with clear instructions to look at them before I make reservations.  

I've found this thread so helpful, thanks everyone.  Aussie heading to the US later this year.

I have a few more questions:

- doorman - is this literally the (usually) guy who opens the hotel door for you?  Are they expecting a tip every time you come in and out, or is the tip just for when you check in and out and require help with your luggage to and from the car?

- housekeeping - are we expected to leave a cash amount out for hotel cleaning?  Every day or at the end of the stay?  Any advice on how much please? (Mid range hotels e.g. Hyatt)

- Uber - is it ok to tip drivers and food delivery workers via the app or is a cash tip expected?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, clairebearinaus said:

I've found this thread so helpful, thanks everyone.  Aussie heading to the US later this year.

I have a few more questions:

- doorman - is this literally the (usually) guy who opens the hotel door for you?  Are they expecting a tip every time you come in and out, or is the tip just for when you check in and out and require help with your luggage to and from the car?

- housekeeping - are we expected to leave a cash amount out for hotel cleaning?  Every day or at the end of the stay?  Any advice on how much please? (Mid range hotels e.g. Hyatt)

- Uber - is it ok to tip drivers and food delivery workers via the app or is a cash tip expected?

Thanks!

You tip a doorman or bell hop if they help you with a bag. Also you can tell them you don't need help. If  they just open the door smile and say thank you.  Housekeeping you leave $2 or $3 a night with a note that says housekeeper so they  know it is for them. You do it every night not at the end because the housekeeper can be different every day. Many Americans don't know about tipping the houskeeper so if you don't tip them it they are used to that. It is not an extreme faux pas. I do tip them because somewhere along the way I learned about it. Uber and delivery drivers you can tip via the app. Pre covid I tipped cash even though via the app was fine and they did like that but during covid no one wanted cash and  I tipped only via the app. Got used to that and I don't even carry any cash now. I only tip via the app.

You did not ask this but at restaurants without table service where you pay at a counter the payment terminal will present you with a tip option and suggested amounts. Feel free to select no tip. At restaurants with table service unlike what you are probably used to, it seems that is only done in the US, the server takes your credit card and disappears with it. The charge your card at the terminal out of sight and return your card.. Then they bring it all back and you add our tip to the tip line and they charge that amount seperatly after you leave. These days suggested percentages are usually on your bill. Oh and don't leave your credit card behind. Since they usually leave it in a sleeve some people get forgetful. My brother in law does it about once a month. But don't panic if that happens.  If  you go back they will ask for ID and return your card. No mischef has ever occurred. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

I tip well for 'service'.  I did a lot of business entertaining and travel, and the whole topic used to drive me nuts ... so I just came up with my own formula.  I don't tip housekeepers (I rarely let them into the room anyway) unless they if they bring me something.  I don't tip anyone unless they help me with something.  No doorman, no self-service dining, no tipping for people just doing their jobs.  But I do tip drivers and servers because that's ingrained in American culture.  Unless they're rude or surly.  I tip people who unload and deliver my luggage, If I have to lug my bag into the hotel myself and somebody finally comes over, I just tell them no thanks.  I always get a chuckle out of entering an upscale hotel, where your luggage is whisked away so fast you don't have a chance to 'do it yourself'.  That kind of enthusiasm gets a nice tip, just because.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your helpful replies. However, as I am planning this cruise to have some relaxation after a very stressful year, all that this has done is make me feel more stressed about the complex issues and expectations surrounding tipping in the US.

As a Kiwi, tipping is something unknown and not expected, and the thought of it makes me  feel very uncomfortable and embarrassed at handing over cash to people who are just doing their jobs. There's no difference (for me) in the level of discomfort I would feel in giving a tip to a waiter in the US than there would be if I tried to leave a tip when I'd been to my hairdresser, dentist or doctor.

So I will not be cruising from the US, but thank you all for helping me to come to this decision.

On 5/8/2023 at 6:11 PM, Korimako said:

Thank you all for your helpful replies. However, as I am planning this cruise to have some relaxation after a very stressful year, all that this has done is make me feel more stressed about the complex issues and expectations surrounding tipping in the US.

As a Kiwi, tipping is something unknown and not expected, and the thought of it makes me  feel very uncomfortable and embarrassed at handing over cash to people who are just doing their jobs. There's no difference (for me) in the level of discomfort I would feel in giving a tip to a waiter in the US than there would be if I tried to leave a tip when I'd been to my hairdresser, dentist or doctor.

So I will not be cruising from the US, but thank you all for helping me to come to this decision.

We don't tip our Doctors and Dentists........hairdresser, yes.....but the other 2? Nope. 

You had mentioned only bringing a carry on bag.....if nobody is helping you with your luggage, then you don't tip anyone. I have stayed at places where they may have someone to do it, but I just say no thanks and take my own luggage. And no, you don't need to tip the person who opens the door to the hotel for you. (if there even is one).

Sorry our customs makes you feel so uncomfortable that you won't cruise from here. I know new things can be a bit overwhelming but it is pretty easy really. The "service industry" people are normally the ones who receive tips.