Have it All Package refundable with Holland America Insurance?

yogimax

Usually everything purchased separately is refundable if you don’t cruise.  The only exceptions are flights, hotels and a select few shore excursions.  Whether those are covered by the HAL insurance, I don’t know 

My question is slightly different.  I have booked and paid for my cruise and purchased insurance from another source (not HAL).  I am now being offered Have It All.  If I purchase it and then for some reason need to cancel the cruise before sailing, is the HIA refundable just as pre-booked shore excursions and other things?  I am trying to figure out if I need to add the cost to my insurance.

19 minutes ago, mfanderso said:

My question is slightly different.  I have booked and paid for my cruise and purchased insurance from another source (not HAL).  I am now being offered Have It All.  If I purchase it and then for some reason need to cancel the cruise before sailing, is the HIA refundable just as pre-booked shore excursions and other things?  I am trying to figure out if I need to add the cost to my insurance.

It is only refundable up till final payment, if you go into cancellation penalty period then the penalties apply. Outside Insurance will insure up to the dollar amount you purchased the insurance for. Many people purchase their travel insurance and use the full dollar amount of the cost of the cruise, technically the port fees are refundable with no penalty if canceled prior to sailing so that gives a cushion on the dollar amount being covered. If you cruise is longer than 7 days I would consider increasing your coverage with that insurance. Once  you have purchased the travel protection they will always increase the coverage for you for extra $$. 

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Here is the answer I just got from HAL.  If you cancel a cruise that you bought w a HIA package, and you purchased the Platinum Cancellation Plan (the premium for which is more with the HIA package than it is w/o the the HIA package), here is what you get back:

90% of the total cruise cost which includes the HIA pack,

Looked at another way, you get back:

90% of the cruise cost (ex port fees and taxes, which you get back in full)

90% of the HIA package extra cost.

Again, this is the direct, clear answer I got from HAL reservations agent on 12/20/23 at 4:35 pm EST.

Ted