Suggested Activities in various ports in Australia and New Zealand

gdlamberth

19 hours ago, possum52 said:

Our van was a Mercedes-Benz and either a ten or twelve seater.

Thank you.  I'm pretty sure this is what we are going to book. 

I just noticed that you are from the suburbs of Melbourne.  We're thinking about taking the public transport from near the cruise port to downtown inside the "free zone", and then using a combination of the tram and our feet, explore the area, hopping into some of the museums, checking out what looks like some really amazing architecture, etc. 

1) From the public transportation side, it looks like the myki visitor pack no longer exists. I've been trying to read up on the public transport and it seems like the best bet will be to load myki into the Google Wallet of both of our phones, load it with $10 each (full day fare across 2 zones???), and call it good?  Does this sound right?  I'll have been in Australia prior to the cruise, so I can make sure I save cash for this day if it will be easier (or even possible). Am I missing anything on this plan?

2) Anything that we absolutely should not miss?

3) Our all aboard will likely be 4:30 pm.  How early should we leave and head back?  I don't want to be worried about missing the boat if there are problems getting back due to rush hour.

I appreciate all of your help.  

4 hours ago, alwalaska said:

1) From the public transportation side, it looks like the myki visitor pack no longer exists. I've been trying to read up on the public transport and it seems like the best bet will be to load myki into the Google Wallet of both of our phones, load it with $10 each (full day fare across 2 zones???), and call it good?  Does this sound right?  I'll have been in Australia prior to the cruise, so I can make sure I save cash for this day if it will be easier (or even possible). Am I missing anything on this plan?

3) Our all aboard will likely be 4:30 pm.  How early should we leave and head back?  I don't want to be worried about missing the boat if there are problems getting back due to rush hour.

Yes, if you have Android phones with FFC, this is the best way to go. You cannot load your account with cash, it needs to be with Mastercard or Visa via the app. The daily cap is $10.00 & $7.20  on weekends and public holidays. You can use it anywhere in Melbourne or regional areas within the Myki zone. You don't need to tap on or off in  the free tram zone. You can travel to and from Geelong or Ballarat by train for the same daily cap.

When you get off the ship, head for the tram stop with phones all set up and away you go.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, alwalaska said:

Thank you.  I'm pretty sure this is what we are going to book. 

I just noticed that you are from the suburbs of Melbourne.  We're thinking about taking the public transport from near the cruise port to downtown inside the "free zone", and then using a combination of the tram and our feet, explore the area, hopping into some of the museums, checking out what looks like some really amazing architecture, etc. 

The Myki Explorer is usually available for sale on the right side of the exit of the cruise terminal at Station Pier. This gives you a Myki card and enough credit for a day's travel around Melbourne and regional Victoria.

Myki Exployer

If you like Victorian and Edwardian architecture, there are quite a few examples -

1. The Exhibition Building in the Cartlton Gardens where the first Australian Parliament was held after Federation in 1901  in the 1880s.

image.jpeg.a83d62a976bbb865e65bdd79a21d5a8c.jpeg                image.jpeg.0a2a5eb58b9b206dd2835e87829f9e30.jpeg

2. The State Library of Victoria in Swanston Street has a wonderful domed octogonal ceiling.

The Dome of Victoria State Library | Random Photons

3. Although not built and opened until the 1930s, the Shrine of Remembrance adjacent to the Botanical Gardens is also worth visiting, 

Photo

There are many other interesting buildings in the cental business district (CBD) which you can see as you walk around including two cathedrals and the oldest catholic church in Victoria, St Francis Church. 

Melbourne has some beautiful gardens and parks adjacent to the CBD and they are worth a vsit. If you like sport, there is the sport precinct to the east of the CBD incliuding the Melbourne Cricket Ground which hosts international criclet and AFL matches through their repsective seasons as well as international soccer, rugby union and rugby league matches and concerts. The 75 minute tour is really interesting. There is Melbourne Park where the Australian Tennis Open is held each January. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2023 at 5:43 AM, possum52 said:

2. The State Library of Victoria in Swanston Street has a wonderful domed octogonal ceiling.

The Dome of Victoria State Library | Random Photons

Thank you for all of the pictures and info.  Architecture and library - you hit the nail on the head with that one. I love both.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/5/2023 at 9:06 AM, possum52 said:

The main difference to the Inlander I think is that for the ship excursion, you start the train trip dockside at Port Chalmers. I looked up Princess and they charge $299.95AU which is a rip off anyway but way cheaper than Celebrity. We did the train trip pre covid and booked privately. We were picked up by coach at the cruise terminal and taken into Dunedin railway station to catch our train which was a separate one to the ship's excursion. They were about 30-40 mins ahead of us.

As far as I can see there is no "Terminal" as such. "picked up by coach at the cruise terminal"
Was this at ships side? And do you know if taxis can do so. I (we) have to make our own way the the Airport (30 mins by taxi) and I don't want to drag suitcases I avoidable.
Mike.

13 hours ago, ozdroggy01 said:

As far as I can see there is no "Terminal" as such. "picked up by coach at the cruise terminal"
Was this at ships side? And do you know if taxis can do so. I (we) have to make our own way the the Airport (30 mins by taxi) and I don't want to drag suitcases I avoidable.
Mike.

To see what ship you are on I looked at your profile. I see you are on a Ponant cruise which will dock at the Victoria Wharf T/U berths in Dunedin, not at Port Chalmers.

Thanks Leigh.  I hope you are right  . . . But the following from:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/dunedin-port-21?tab=schedule&month=2024-01#schedule

Port Dunedin cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Dunedin, Port Chalmers, New Zealand. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.

20 January, 2024        Saturday     Le Soleal      17:00 (Depart)

Also I am sure I also saw it in the Ponant details but will look later.

Mike.

1 hour ago, ozdroggy01 said:

Thanks Leigh.  I hope you are right  . . . But the following from:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/dunedin-port-21?tab=schedule&month=2024-01#schedule

Port Dunedin cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Dunedin, Port Chalmers, New Zealand. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.

20 January, 2024        Saturday     Le Soleal      17:00 (Depart)

Also I am sure I also saw it in the Ponant details but will look later.

Mike.

This from the Port of Otago website - Port of Otago Cruise Ship Schedule

20 Jan 24  Le Soleal  Departure    T/U Berth   18:00   NZ Subantarctic     NZ Subantarctic

10 Feb 24  Le Soleal  Arrival          T/U Berth    07:30  NZ Subantarctic     NZ Subantarctic

The T/U Berth is at Dunedin's Victoria Wharf/Cruise Ship Wharf.  The berths at Port Chalmers are Beach Street, Container and Multipurpose. 

This map shows where the wharf is - almost right in Dunedin CBD.

image.png.5e2b6f0bb2767731db3046f9e453bb69.png

The same area on a Google map - 

image.png.c49ee724b5838660e0cbddcb5234236f.png

• Like 1

Thanks again Leigh. Yes I got bogged down on a "Port Chalmers" web site and did not realise what the T/U berth referred to. You graphics have solved it all.  My main worry was getting from the ship at 0800 to Dunedin Airport by 1000 (flight 1045) should be no problem with pre-booked taxi.

FWIW my mob were all Victorians and I spent many young years in Caulfield and Armadale before finally ending up in Sydney.
Thanks Mike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2023 at 12:03 PM, gdlamberth said:
Four of us will be taking two 15 day B2B cruise Sydney.  We are all in the 63-73 range, physically active and really like culture, nature, and historical adventures.  We are looking for suggested activities in the following ports; any suggestions are greatly appreciated:

1. Melbourne for an overnight (dock 0800 depart 1700 next day)
  2. Dunedin (0900-1900)
  3. Christchurch (0800-1800)
  4. Picton (0900-1900)
  5. Wellington (0700-1700)
  6. Gisbourne (1000-1800)
  7. Rotorua (Tauranga)(0900-1800)
  8. Whangarei (0800-1900)
  9. Napier (1000-1800)
  10. Bluff (0800-1700)
  11. A 2nd Overnight in Melbourne (1000-0400)
  12. Geelong (0800-1800) Anchor

If it matters Melbourne and Picton are the only stops on a weekend.Thanks,

Greg

On our cruise, we stopped at Gisbourne but it was disappointing - did go to two nice wineries though. Loved Dunedin, Napier and Rotorua (Tauranga) See our post on these ports to see wildlife:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 7:15 PM, Wookie01 said:

Thanks, I have just been looking up the public bus (#28) and it looks perfect.
Goes from Lyttelton Jetty to Manchester St, just near the tram and return, and both go via the Gondola stop, all for the very affordable $5NZ for a day pass.
Looks like we have our day in Christchurch planned out 🙂

often there is  a long queue for the public bus, if your ship is smaller then the wait may not be as bad.  Often have to wait for the next bus

• Like 1

Whangarei is a new cruise port, our home town, not sure what will be in place for cruisers.

If there is a shuttle into the city, the waterfront is  nice to look around, can walk the hatea loop around the waterfront.  Can walk to the shops in town, not a lot to see there.  Rose gardens close by to town.

Hunterwasser museum maybe worth a vist in town basin (waterfront)  unusual building to look at from outside. Hope this helps

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2023 at 8:59 AM, gdlamberth said:

8 February thru 10 March.  There are roll calls for both cruises now; but, are pretty inactive.  I guess its still early days. We do already have Tours by Locals excursions set up in Burnie (since we already have something on, Burnie not on my list of ports).  We are in Christchurch twice and have an excursion up to Arthur's Pass already set up.

Greg

I am trying to find a Tour by Locals in Burnie on March 3, 2024 but Burnie doesn't show up. Am I doing something wrong?

1 hour ago, Campbell soup said:

I am trying to find a Tour by Locals in Burnie on March 3, 2024 but Burnie doesn't show up. Am I doing something wrong?

I think you're correct,  I misspoke.  We booked our tours in Burnie through:

Coastline Tours | Experience North West Tasmania | Day Tours

I don't see any TBLs out of Burnie.  You might also try Launceston at

Launceston-Australia - Find an Authentic Private Tour - (toursbylocals.com)

It's about an hour and a half from Burnie and one of the guides there might be able to help.

Sorry for misleading you.

Greg

For local info try https://tasmania.com/points-of-interest/burnie/

Being a "mainland" Aussie my impressions of Burnie as I passed through it many years ago were not great.
The answer above is as good as any.
If you can gather a couple of mates onboard, hiring a local taxi or a minibus for a few more after arriving could be an alternative.
Not much help I'm afraid.

On 12/30/2023 at 2:58 AM, gdlamberth said:

I think you're correct,  I misspoke.  We booked our tours in Burnie through:

Coastline Tours | Experience North West Tasmania | Day Tours

I don't see any TBLs out of Burnie.  You might also try Launceston at

Launceston-Australia - Find an Authentic Private Tour - (toursbylocals.com)

It's about an hour and a half from Burnie and one of the guides there might be able to help.

Sorry for misleading you.

Greg

@gdlamberth Thanks for the above links Greg.

Am I correct in assuming you'll be in Burnie mid February 2024? If so, any chance for some feedback here on your tour with Coastline Tours?  Looks very interesting and I'll be there about three weeks after you, so any info would be great.  

TIA 🙂

On 12/30/2023 at 8:45 PM, boeckli said:

Am I correct in assuming you'll be in Burnie mid February 2024? If so, any chance for some feedback here on your tour with Coastline Tours?  Looks very interesting and I'll be there about three weeks after you, so any info would be great.

Yes, we have Coastline Tours booked for both 12 Feb AND 8 March (on our Auckland to Sydney leg of our B2B.  However, I asked owner of Coastline and she suggested the following may be able to assist you:

@John Maunder - https://www.discovermydevonport.au

@Tasmania Boutique Tours - https://tasmaniaboutiquetours.com.au

I've not used either of these but some of their tours look attractive.

Hope this helps,

Greg

3 hours ago, gdlamberth said:

Yes, we have Coastline Tours booked for both 12 Feb AND 8 March (on our Auckland to Sydney leg of our B2B.  However, I asked owner of Coastline and she suggested the following may be able to assist you:

@John Maunder - https://www.discovermydevonport.au

@Tasmania Boutique Tours - https://tasmaniaboutiquetours.com.au

I've not used either of these but some of their tours look attractive.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Thanks for the additional info Greg and I hope you might have a chance to come back here and report after your first outing with Coastline. 

Enjoy your cruise(s)! 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 12:04 AM, Over from NZ said:

Yes, taxis and ubers easily available at both and it's only a short ride. Or yes, the public bus will go there from either. 

What is a reasonable rate by taxi to go to gondola from the cruise terminal and from gondola base station to Christchurch city center?  Do taxi drivers accept credit card?  Is there any surcharge in paying by credit cards?  For public bus, can we purchase the tickets or day passes by credit cards?  Thank you.

On 5/1/2023 at 7:35 PM, possum52 said:

1. For one of your stays in Melbourne, I would suggest a trip to Phillip Island for the renowned Penguin Parade. Phillip Island is around a two hour drive from Station Pier where you will dock. The penguins, many hundreds if not thousands, come out of the sea at sunset (8.30pm in February, 8pm March) and make their way up the beach to their burrows. You could hire a vehicle if one of your party is confident driving on the other side of the road (left hand side) or do a tour. I would suggest you google tours for Phillip Island Penguin Parade for more information. Ballarat, which is a historiacal gold rush city could be of interest and can be reached by train, bus/coach or car. 

Melbourne itself has plenty of things to do, see and visit -  if you are interested in sport, the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) and Melbourne Park, the home of the Australian Tennis Open both have tours. There is the Australian Sports Museum at the MCG which is really interesting. Melbourne is renowned for its coffee and its cafe culture. You will find fabulous little cafes down laneways and hidden away in 19th century arcades and along Southbank. The State Library is also worth a visit, one of my favourite places in the city. It is a beautiful builiding. 

Penguin Parade

Victoria Regional Attractions

Visit Ballarat
Visit Melbourne

Melbourne Cricket Ground
Rod Laver Arena Tour

2. Dunedin - last time we were in Dunedin, pre-covid, we went on the Taieri Gorge railway which we thoroughly enjoyed. Post covid, the company has changed the trip and it is shorter. This past cruise season, this particular trip was only available on the days cruise ships were in port and had to be booked through the cruise ship. Of course this may or may not change next summer. There are other train journeys you could do as well. The links below may help.

Taieri Gorge Shore Excursion

Dunedin Railways

Dunedin Activities

3. Christchurch - I haven't been to Christchurch but here are a couple of links which may provide some information.

Christchurch Attractions

Christchurch Activities

4. Picton  - haven't been there

5. Wellington - the Te Papa Museum - you could spend hours here. 

Zealandia Wildlife Sanctuary

Wellington Botanical Garden and cable car

Waterfront

Te Papa Museum
Zealandia

Wellington Botanical Garden

Wellington Cable Car

6. Gisborne -  We tendered in to the pier and caught the shuttle bus into the town across the river and wandered around. There was a cultural performance by the local Maori community which was really good. 

Gisborne Activities

7. Tauranga - we took a private tour to Rotorua which icluded a stop at a kiwi farm. In Rotorua we visited the 

Te Puia for the geothermal and Maori Cultural experiences. We enjoyed our day and would recommend it. 

Te Puia

From Tuaranga you can also visit Hobbiton for the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings experience.

Hobbiton

I haven't been to Napier, Whangarei or Bluff but Napier is renowned for its art deco architecture after having to be rebuilt after an earthquake in 1931. 

Geelong - Yarramar has given you some suggestions for Geelong, Geelong has a vibrant waterfront so a walk along there is interesting. There are some great cafes and restaurants and wineries in the area too. 

Geelong

Enjoy your cruises and if you have any questions please ask. 

Thank you, possum52, for posting the information.

1 hour ago, caseum said:

What is a reasonable rate by taxi to go to gondola from the cruise terminal and from gondola base station to Christchurch city center?  Do taxi drivers accept credit card?  Is there any surcharge in paying by credit cards?  For public bus, can we purchase the tickets or day passes by credit cards?  Thank you.

Where abouts are you from?