Maya Key Snorkeling

KB Cruisin

We are bringing our son who just graduated college on an RCL trip on Allure.  We want to take him snorkeling at Maya Key. The tour sponsored by the ship only has 1 space and we need 3.

I hear it is a pain to get there without the ship tour transport. Is there any other tour that goes to Maya Key?  Or does RCL ever open up excursions?

We are docking at Coxen Hole.  Thanks for any help!

6 minutes ago, KB Cruisin said:

We are bringing our son who just graduated college on an RCL trip on Allure.  We want to take him snorkeling at Maya Key. The tour sponsored by the ship only has 1 space and we need 3.

I hear it is a pain to get there without the ship tour transport. Is there any other tour that goes to Maya Key?  Or does RCL ever open up excursions?

We are docking at Coxen Hole.  Thanks for any help!

You can book directly with resort but yes it is a pain - you have to arrange your own transport to their dock and more importantly BACK, whereas the ferry for Royal Caribbean leaves directly from their dock within the port. 

Keep an eye on the planner. Places do open up or try excursion desk once on board. If you can’t get additional tickets cancel the one place and get an excursion independently or through ship to West Bay for better snorkeling.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

You can book directly with resort but yes it is a pain - you have to arrange your own transport to their dock and more importantly BACK, whereas the ferry for Royal Caribbean leaves directly from their dock within the port. 

Keep an eye on the planner. Places do open up or try excursion desk once on board. If you can’t get additional tickets cancel the one place and get an excursion independently or through ship to West Bay for better snorkeling.

Thank you for such a detailed and helpful response.  What excursions go to West Bay from Coxen Hole? Where would you recommend for snorkeling at West Bay? I have snorkelled a few times but I am no expert.  My son loves it.  I would like to surprise him. I have researched Daniel Johnson (Lobster City) after sloths (for me) and Maya Key. I would appreciate any advice. I have scoured the forums but I would appreciate any help. I would give up sloths for my son (very few people I would do that for💗)   Thanks again!

22 minutes ago, KB Cruisin said:

Thank you for such a detailed and helpful response.  What excursions go to West Bay from Coxen Hole? Where would you recommend for snorkeling at West Bay? I have snorkelled a few times but I am no expert.  My son loves it.  I would like to surprise him. I have researched Daniel Johnson (Lobster City) after sloths (for me) and Maya Key. I would appreciate any advice. I have scoured the forums but I would appreciate any help. I would give up sloths for my son (very few people I would do that for💗)   Thanks again!

I am not an expert on snorkeling at West Bay as I find it too crowded but it is supposed to be #1 destination for those that like snorkeling. There are many threads on this board for West Bay recommendations. Excursions through the ship will be to Tabyana (a section of West Bay.  

Independently you should research excursion’s by Victor Bodden, Rony or other independent companies regularly mentioned. Lots of venues on West Bay but Infinity, Paradise Beach Hotel, Bananarama are usually recommended as close to best snorkeling.

My daughter was recently on Allure and had a similar problem with not enough places initially to Maya Key which is how I know about options. We have been there several times in the past because it is easy and convenient especially with little ones.

She ended up with a fairly new  company called Mono Loco catamaran snorkeling tours, which included a visit to a sloth and monkey location.

• Thanks 1

If you can book an excursion with one of the resorts, like Bananarama , they provide transportation.  And I suggest that while you and your son can snorkel off the beach, best thing is to hire one of the small boats and have them take you up to to the West End Reef or Starfish Alley.  Even better is to book something at half Moon Bay Resort on the West End, but not sure if they provide transportation.