Thoughts on the criticisms of MSC

KennyFla

I have been reading the negative comments and complaints on here, and have some random, incoherent thoughts.

1) MSC (and other cruise lines) went from having nearly empty ships sailing at great losses to being overbooked, seemingly overnight.  If you look at this from a business standpoint, you can't overstaff the ships when they were empty; you were already bleeding money.  There does seem to be a problem getting staffed back up, but outside forces played a role in this.  And probably still are.  Why are they overbooking?  See the bleeding money comment.

2) MSC's price is considerably cheaper than other lines in the same category (RC, NCL, Carnival).  I view them as  Frontier and Allegiant vs American and Delta, as far as amenities. They are a great value for the money, but you have to follow the rules, as we have found flying the new group of low cost regional airlines.  You have to abide by the wifi and drink package conditions.  I believe the easy plus and wifi are available as an addon at the time of booking for about $300 per person for 7 days, and have seen it as low as $150 if memory serves.. This is a good deal, but has qualifiers.

3) When you combine low fares with unlimited access to alcohol, you will get customers that drink too much and are rude.  You also get people that will go for lowest price and want to make sure they get as much as possible out of their vacation, partly because they don't have a lot of money.  This point is a little controversial.  You can't hold MSC responsible for this.  

• Like 4

As a long-time Disney Passholder, I have learned that nothing in the Disney world comes cheap. However, in that time I've come to realize that rude behavior and unrealistic expectations are not solely based on the amount of money spent. Through reading numerous MSC reviews and watching tons of YT videos, I have come to two conclusions.

Firstly, many people come from other cruise lines with misguided expectations of what MSC's roots are and what they should expect from the staff and experience. This can apply to everything from the food to the service to the staff's attitudes. As someone who works for a Swedish-based company in the US, I understand how different cultural attitudes and communication styles can be misinterpreted.

Secondly, I believe that some people have the perception that even in a post-COVID world, they should be treated like royalty and have no waits, issues, or negative experiences after paying for something. However, this has never been the case, even before COVID. For example, I've seen many complaints about long waits at the bar for a drink. In my experience, if I had to wait more than five minutes, I would just go to another bar instead of dwelling on the wait.

The reality is that some people enjoy complaining and finding negativity in everything. This doesn't mean that their criticisms are invalid, but I believe that preconceived expectations, whether positive or negative, will always lead to finding both, often the opposite of what was wanted.

Edited by NickG420
  • Like 13

2 minutes ago, NickG420 said:

The reality is that some people enjoy complaining and finding negativity in everything. This doesn't mean that their criticisms are invalid, but I believe that preconceived expectations, whether positive or negative, will always lead to finding both, often the opposite of what was wanted.

Well said, but especially this part. As an American who began to visit Europe in 1984, I can tell you firsthand the number of people who've told me how Europe is terrible because they don't get free water at the restaurants, or ice in their drinks, that the TV shows in their hotel rooms were awful, etc. Let 'em complain. Most things people hate about MSC are the very reasons I like them. Anyway, assuming we're talking about American passengers, many of them are very fickle. They'll complain that MSC is too different, but I bet you $100,000 that if MSC were like Carnival etc., the same people would say "meh, they're just like all the rest."

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

3) When you combine low fares with unlimited access to alcohol, you will get customers that drink too much and are rude.  You also get people that will go for lowest price and want to make sure they get as much as possible out of their vacation, partly because they don't have a lot of money.  This point is a little controversial.  You can't hold MSC responsible for this.  

This statement is in my opinion problematic.  It is a very small minded and uneducated view. I am not even going to take the time to point out the glaring issues with this entire point.  

• Like 2

I read one review recently that had a con as that the portion sizes are small in the dining room.  This is part of the MSC difference since it is quite Americanized.  I also have a different view of MSC as I have only sailed in the Yacht Club which is a different experience.   

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NickG420 said:

As a long-time Disney Passholder, I have learned that nothing in the Disney world comes cheap. However, in that time I've come to realize that rude behavior and unrealistic expectations are not solely based on the amount of money spent. Through reading numerous MSC reviews and watching tons of YT videos, I have come to two conclusions.

Firstly, many people come from other cruise lines with misguided expectations of what MSC's roots are and what they should expect from the staff and experience. This can apply to everything from the food to the service to the staff's attitudes. As someone who works for a Swedish-based company in the US, I understand how different cultural attitudes and communication styles can be misinterpreted.

Secondly, I believe that some people have the perception that even in a post-COVID world, they should be treated like royalty and have no waits, issues, or negative experiences after paying for something. However, this has never been the case, even before COVID. For example, I've seen many complaints about long waits at the bar for a drink. In my experience, if I had to wait more than five minutes, I would just go to another bar instead of dwelling on the wait.

Wow...this is your third post? You *definitely* favor quality over quantity 🙂

Excellent post/points...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GPPhilly said:

This statement is in my opinion problematic.  It is a very small minded and uneducated view. I am not even going to take the time to point out the glaring issues with this entire point.  

I count myself in that group, so.........

• Haha 1

I am so glad that I took the plunge and experienced MSC for myself. I just returned from 18 wonderful days on the Meraviglia and am very much looking forward to the three future cruises I now have booked with MSC. I highly recommend that people take the negative reviews with a grain of salt and go into MSC with an open mind and a positive attitude.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I once came across a TikTok video of a woman who was frustrated because MSC Cruises wouldn't change her MDR time to an earlier seating, despite her being a diabetic and unable to eat that late. She was on the lowest possible booking, and MSC refused to budge.

While I sympathize with her, what she failed to understand is that in order to accommodate her, they would have to inconvenience someone else who has paid more for their experience and planned better. It's like when families book basic economy tickets and then ask other passengers to give up their seats for them to sit together. It's poor planning and expecting others to make sacrifices for you.

This entitled behavior is reflected in many of the negative reviews I see about MSC. While not all of them are like this, a significant portion are.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, NickG420 said:

I once came across a TikTok video of a woman who was frustrated because MSC Cruises wouldn't change her MDR time to an earlier seating, despite her being a diabetic and unable to eat that late. She was on the lowest possible booking, and MSC refused to budge.

While I sympathize with her, what she failed to understand is that in order to accommodate her, they would have to inconvenience someone else who has paid more for their experience and planned better. It's like when families book basic economy tickets and then ask other passengers to give up their seats for them to sit together. It's poor planning and expecting others to make sacrifices for you.

This entitled behavior is reflected in many of the negative reviews I see about MSC. While not all of them are like this, a significant portion are.

Also, the woman could have just eaten in the buffet at whatever time she wanted...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Wow...this is your third post? You *definitely* favor quality over quantity 🙂

Excellent post/points...

I appreciate the kind words. Thank you!

I have been a long time lurker, and I have cruise lovers throughout my family though I had never taken one myself. I finally let a relative who is also a TA book the Seascape 7-day May 28th sailing. So it will be me and my family's first cruise ever.

My relative actually chose MSC, we were going to do Disney and she suggested MSC as a wonderful value.  From everything I have seen thus far from others I would have to agree. I can't wait for these last 4 weeks to fly by so I can experience it myself first hand.

I 'm dying to write my own complaint the length of "War and Peace". 😁😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, NickG420 said:

I appreciate the kind words. Thank you!

I have been a long time lurker, and I have cruise lovers throughout my family though I had never taken one myself. I finally let a relative who is also a TA book the Seascape 7-day May 28th sailing. So it will be me and my family's first cruise ever.

My relative actually chose MSC, we were going to do Disney and she suggested MSC as a wonderful value.  From everything I have seen thus far from others I would have to agree. I can't wait for these last 4 weeks to fly by so I can experience it myself first hand.

I 'm dying to write my own complaint the length of "War and Peace". 😁😆

What experience did you book? (e.g., Bella, Yacht Club, etc.)

12 minutes ago, NickG420 said:

Well said, again. It's not only important to take people's cruise reviews with a grain of salt, it's just as important to gauge their expectations and whether they're realistic or not. I've seen some ridiculous stories about a person's cruise being "ruined" because a last-minute request for a special birthday cake wasn't honored. Really? Talk about major 1st world problems! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, alyssamma said:

What experience did you book? (e.g., Bella, Yacht Club, etc.)

We did Fantastica with a Deluxe balcony. We were going to bid on YC but it would have been another $2400 minimum and we opted against it.

It's fine, I'm just happy to set sail for 7 days without having to plan every detail and argue about where we are eating dinner like we would on a normal vacation.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Well said, again. It's not only important to take people's cruise reviews with a grain of salt, it's just as important to gauge their expectations and whether they're realistic or not. I've seen some ridiculous stories about a person's cruise being "ruined" because a last-minute request for a special birthday cake wasn't honored. Really? Talk about major 1st world problems! 🤣

I met a woman onboard the Meraviglia who said she was never sailing MSC again because she didn't have washcloths in her room (I had them in mine?), there was no laundry bag and slip to fill out in her room and she had to ask her room steward for them repeatedly, and there was NO PIANO BAR! I can definitely see where the piano bar was the deal breaker. 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I met a woman onboard the Meraviglia who said she was never sailing MSC again because she didn't have washcloths in her room (I had them in mine?), there was no laundry bag and slip to fill out in her room and she had to ask her room steward for them repeatedly, and there was NO PIANO BAR! I can definitely see where the piano bar was the deal breaker. 😋

I audibly laughed at work over that one! 🤣

1 minute ago, shipgeeks said:

The washcloth lady should have done her CC reading.  Then she would know that washcloths are not a European thing (according to one post I read, they are considered "gross").

Well, I had them in both my Aurea Balcony Suite on my 4/9 sailing and in my Fantastica Balcony on my 4/22 sailing without even having to ask.

3 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

That's an interesting discussion topic.

Then we'd have to get into a discussion on flannels versus washcloths, or, more correctly "face flannels."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickG420 said:

And the great part of these boards are that people who have never been on a single cruise can be an expert on how the dining room is run.  Yes there are people who believe that they are "entitled" however switching your dining time in no way fits into this.   Anyone who has been been on cruises would know this.   There is much background to the assignment of dining times and tables and it is SOP to make a switch on board,  on any line.  Just did it last weekend on Seaside and while it was not as easy as it should be it got done.

As to the "I wait 5 minutes and go to another bar" here is what would happen on the Seaside last week.   After leaving the first bar and walking up three flights of stairs you would find the wait there was even longer,  go down four flights and walk the length of the ship stand in line 10 minutes order a screwdriver and find out that they have no orange juice.  And my next move is?   And don't forget that you are just trying to get what you have already paid for if you have the drink package. 

As a customer at any level you are "entitled" to some basic level of service and this point in time MSC is often not able to provide it, even items that you have already paid for.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lots of black and white discussion here but MSC is really gray.

Compared to each other, all of the mainstream lines have fairly consistent offerings, marketed in similar ways, with similar policies ashore and aboard.  Someone evaluating MSC and seeing the gorgeous ships and splashy marketing material would assume MSC offered a similar product.  Their product, service delivery, and policies are different.

Go on a Celebrity cruise in Europe and you'll receive an American product. Same thing for the other mainstream U.S. focused cruise lines.  MSC is a European company with a European product with European service standards.  They've Americanized their U.S. departures but it's still a very different experience than what U.S. based cruise lines provide.  Some appreciate the difference, some don't. Some don't know it's different until they are onboard an MSC ship.  

MSC is very top down with very little latitude given to customer-facing staff to address customer service issues when they occur.  Paradoxly, there's a lot of inconsistency from ship-to-ship in how centralized policies are applied.  That inconsistency can be frustrating.

MSC's pricing isn't bargain basement anymore.  The starting prices are higher, the promos aren't as rich, they've eliminated low single supplements, and YC pricing is up considerably.  Hopefully with their move upmarket they'll be able to invest in the product and technology to bring them more inline with their mainstream competitors.  They can still be "European" but it would be nice to have mainstream technology to make researching, booking, and customizing your cruise easier.     

I like MSC because they are different, especially when sailing with them in Europe.  But no matter how much anyone likes MSC you can't say that some of what they do isn't odd at best and downright annoying at worst.  Some of the negatives shared here are overdramatic but there are nuggets of truth in many of them.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, M2ice said:

17 minutes ago, M2ice said:

And the great part of these boards are that people who have never been on a single cruise can be an expert on how the dining room is run.  Yes there are people who believe that they are "entitled" however switching your dining time in no way fits into this.   Anyone who has been been on cruises would know this.   There is much background to the assignment of dining times and tables and it is SOP to make a switch on board,  on any line.  Just did it last weekend on Seaside and while it was not as easy as it should be it got done.

As to the "I wait 5 minutes and go to another bar" here is what would happen on the Seaside last week.   After leaving the first bar and walking up three flights of stairs you would find the wait there was even longer,  go down four flights and walk the length of the ship stand in line 10 minutes order a screwdriver and find out that they have no orange juice.  And my next move is?   And don't forget that you are just trying to get what you have already paid for if you have the drink package. 

As a customer at any level you are "entitled" to some basic level of service and this point in time MSC is often not able to provide it, even items that you have already paid for.  

I do not believe I ever said not once I was an expert on cruising. Heck I am not sure I am an actual expert on anything to be honest. Maybe Disney....

To be perfectly clear, I was not suggesting that changing your dinner time makes you entitled. It's the way you go about it and your attitude towards the situation that can make you entitled. I am sorry, but if you're booking the cheapest option, which usually comes with little to no wiggle room, you should expect to have limited options and expected to be flexible and adapt.

As for the bar situation, it's hard to believe that every single bar on the ship operates the same way at the same poor level of service. But even if they did, where's the rush? You're on vacation, take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy the company of those around you. You are on a boat in the middle of the sea....Where else you got to be?

Edited by NickG420
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

They've Americanized their U.S. departures but it's still a very different experience than what U.S. based cruise lines provide.  Some appreciate the difference, some don't. Some don't know it's different until they are onboard an MSC ship.  

100% agree with this, and 100% know my wife and I are exactly the kind of Americans who appreciate the MSC difference. We've sailed MSC twice in the Caribbean, NCL, RCL, and Carnival in the Caribbean as well. We liked them all, but MSC provides a European experience which we appreciate very much. I still say life would be boring if every single cruise line offered the exact same experience onboard. Even sailing from Miami, MSC still had a mostly European passenger profile. Fine by us! 🙂

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, NickG420 said:

I do not believe I ever said not once I was an expert on cruising.

Interesting...I took that at face value...saying that because of CC you can read these posts and become educated about cruising. Now I see it might have been sarcastic...

3 minutes ago, NickG420 said:

Heck I am not sure I an actual expert on anything to be honest. Maybe Disney

Now you're talking my language...but wrong forum unfortunately 🙂

4 minutes ago, NickG420 said:

As for the bar situation, it's hard to believe that every single bar on the ship operates the same way at the same poor level of service. But even if they did, where's the rush? You're on vacation, take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy the company of those around you. You are on a boat in the middle of the sea....Where else you got to be?

This is a great attitude to have. I'll be honest, slow bar service pisses me off and it's hard for me to not get upset about it. However, I *try* to think the way you said and remind myself of where I am and how lucky I am to be able to be there. It's a work in progress for me 🙂

• Like 2