November Repositioning to New York or Florida.....

We are looking at a fall repositioning from maybe Rome to the US......my one question is about the weather....the last 5-6 days would be at sea and I am wondering if the daily high temps and the seas would be more on the mild or milder side going to Florida vs New York.....maybe someone that has done this could chime in on how big a difference this is....thanks.....I have been following a couple of crossings over to England and the storms they encounter are probably more than I or the Mrs would want to deal with...thanks

I am not aware of any Transatlantic cruises by Celebrity that go to New York (since you are asking on a Celebrity forum). 

However those sea days will definitely be warmer for a cruise headed toward Florida vs New York.  During our Transatlantic crossing from Rome to Tampa (Constellation, Oct/Nov 2022), the weather got progressively warmer with each passing sea day.

As far as the seas go, that is a roll of the dice and you cannot say that heading to Florida will be better than heading to New York or vice versa.  I surprisingly got sea sick for a couple of days and I thought the seas were pretty calm.

Edited by mahdnc

A TA from Europe to NY in November is going to have cold and rough seas and you'll be indoors the whole time during the crossing. Any ship with an indoor pool will still be chilly in it. You'll be wearing sweaters/hoodies/fleece indoors. It will be a HUGE difference go to NY vs Florida, HUGE.

Edited by kwokpot

• Host Kat changed the title to November Repositioning to New York or Florida.....
15 hours ago, shavdog said:

We are looking at a fall repositioning from maybe Rome to the US......my one question is about the weather....the last 5-6 days would be at sea and I am wondering if the daily high temps and the seas would be more on the mild or milder side going to Florida vs New York.....maybe someone that has done this could chime in on how big a difference this is....thanks.....I have been following a couple of crossings over to England and the storms they encounter are probably more than I or the Mrs would want to deal with...thanks

@shavdog

To help you out I have moved your new topic to the Transatlantic, Transpacific, Repositioning & Trans-Ocean Cruises forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed repositioning cruises frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

suggest you use the Follow feature on this thread or any other thread where you are interested in the replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new replies because they will come looking for you as notifications! If you need more info on how to do it, please click the following: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

18 hours ago, shavdog said:

I just posted a video on my YT channel showing the ocean conditions and weather for our WB TA crossing last year on Wonder of the Seas.  We sailed from Barcelona to Port Canaveral.  You will see the morning temperatures on the TV screen shots that are sprinkled throughout the video.  We had a very smooth crossing except for the first day after leaving the Mediterranean and entering the Atlantic and then when we were following Hurricane Nicole a few days behind her.  Nothing super bad, but the ship was rocking a bit.  So, here you go.  

Transatlantic Cruise Ocean Conditions - What to Expect During Your Atlantic Ocean Crossing (Vlog 22)

18 hours ago, kwokpot said:

A TA from Europe to NY in November is going to have cold and rough seas and you'll be indoors the whole time during the crossing. Any ship with an indoor pool will still be chilly in it. You'll be wearing sweaters/hoodies/fleece indoors. It will be a HUGE difference go to NY vs Florida, HUGE.

If I tried I could disagree with every issue on that post🙂

The main criteria -  for me - is how do you define 'cold'?

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

If I tried I could disagree with every issue on that post🙂

The main criteria -  for me - is how do you define 'cold'?

That's fine. I'm sighting personal experience. As to cold to me, temps in the 50s is cold on a cruiseship is cold. As reference I keep the heat in my home at 68 degrees the winter, spring and AC at 75 degrees in the summer. 

On 5/2/2023 at 11:24 AM, shavdog said:

You are talking about two different routes…the North Atlantic and the Southern Atlantic.  Transatlantics between New York and Europe are mostly on the Great Circle route in the North Atlantic.  The weather in October can be rough and cold and it can be quite calm and pleasant with temps in the 50’s and 60’s.  I believe there is an MSC crossing from Rome that stops in New York.and then goes to Florida.  This of course would be a mixture of North and South.  

The route that you propose from Rome to Florida is the Southern Atlantic route.  This is a far cry from the North Atlantic.  As described above the temps continually climb as you near Florida.  The seas are usually calm although this isn’t always the case.  Those of us who are born sailors relish the many sea days on a Southern Atlantic crossing.  Have no fear.  You will enjoy your southern crossing from Rome.