Live from Konigsdam on a Pacific Coastal

DrKoob

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Wow -- another from DrKoob! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

DrKoob was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Greetings HAL cruisers, 

My bride and I are on our sixth (and probably last) HAL cruise and we thought we would let everyone come along. This cruise is a short five-day transition cruise to get Konigsdam on the right day for sailing to Alaska. We only have stops in Ketchikan (where we are today) and then Prince Rupert, BC, tomorrow. Add in two sea days in the Canadian Inside passage and you have this cruise.

Here are the two blog posts I have posted to my blog so far. They cover embarkation and our first day.

JCB_8968-1024x682.jpg

Sometimes it feels like we aren't traveling anymore, and sometimes it feels like we are never home. Since our February trip to Walt Disney World (my last major set of posts), we have been traveling but only for family stuff.

We are sailing on Holland America's Konigsdam from Vancouver, BC, to beautiful Ketchikan, Alaska and Prince Rupert, British Columbia. Yes, it's Alaska again, but there are two big reasons we are boarding this ship today: Alaska is not one of them.

The first is that our last cruise before the pandemic was from Fort Lauderdale to New Orleans for Mardi Gras in February 2020. We sailed with our Martini Mates and had an awesome time. My best buddy Bob was part of that cruise, and even though Kathleen and I have been on three cruises since then, this is the first time Bob and Judy will be on a ship since we got off on that cruise. So we just had to go along on this one to celebrate.

Our second reason for taking this cruise is that it is we are celebrating a first on this cruise. We are traveling with Kathleen's daughter Michelle and her husband, Brian, on their first cruise. When they found out we were going on this short cruise, they asked if they could come along. So yesterday Brian drove us up (his car was the only one that could fit all our luggage) to Vancouver; we had an amazing dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant (Cin Cin–been going there since 2005) and spent the night at the Pan Pacific Hotel which is right at Canada Place, the cruise terminal for Vancouver. In fact, I can look out our hotel room window (where I am writing this) and see our stateroom on the ship just below us. That's really cool.

So far, things have gone well. Brian and Michelle knew a great place to stop for lunch on our way north; otherwise, the drive was uneventful. If I have one complaint (actually two), it is that check-in time for the Pan Pacific is 4:00 pm, but we didn't get rooms until almost 5:00. Not the kind of service I expect for the price you pay. And their WiFi has been spectacularly terrible as well.

I hope to do my usual job of blogging this cruise, but it may have to get posted after we are back. We didn't get a WiFi package on this ship since we will seldom be out of cell phone range but putting this kind of stuff online with a phone is next to impossible. But watch this space. The posts will get there eventually.

Here's a last-minute gift; a few photos I took on an early morning photo walk on Vancouver's incredible waterfront.

If you would rather read this on my blog, you can find it at www.jimbellomo.com

JCB_8865.jpg

JCB_8866.jpg

JCB_8880.jpg

JCB_8881.jpg

JCB_8897.jpg

JCB_8909.jpg

JCB_8917.jpg

JCB_8968.jpg

• Like 7

And here is day two...when things went bad...and have only gotten worse.

Well, we are on our way. As I write this, I know I won’t be able to get it online until tomorrow in Ketchikan, and I am not even sure I will be able to do that. YEAH! I WAS! We are sitting in Ketchikan right now.

Embarkation

So, let’s get this out there right now. After 35 cruises, this was the WORST embarkation we have ever experienced. To be honest, I am not sure who to blame here, but they better fix it soon. It could be Holland America’s fault, or it could be the management at Canada Place. Either way, it was horrid. 

I went out around 10:00 am (or should I say down) from our room on the 14th floor of the Pan Pacific to find out the best way to drop luggage and get into the lines to get on the ship. I had really good luck because I got some inside knowledge about dropping luggage from a very nice Canada Place employee. So Brian and I went down to Parking Level 2 and dropped our bags. If we hadn’t done that we would have gotten into the check-in line, had to wait in that line to go down an elevator, drop off our bags and then get in another line to go upstairs and check in. At that point, we thought we were getting ahead of the system. 

Check-out time at the hotel was noon, and our “listed boarding time” was 1:00 pm. We decided to go down to the hotel lobby at noon, and Brian and I would go down and scout out the best way to get in line and see if they were holding people to their assigned times. We discovered that we could go ahead and get in line right then. It looked like we would just go up an escalator and be off to check-in. We couldn’t tell what was beyond the escalator, but we could see others coming down and heading off to what we thought was a line to get on the ship. We couldn’t go up the escalator and come back down without going through the process, so we went back to get Kathleen and Michelle. 

Then we walked all the way down, got on the escalator and went up. By then, it was about 12:15. When we got to the top of the escalator; we were taken out into a hallway where we had to get in a line that ended way back in the lobby of the hotel…where we had just come from. We literally could have taken an escalator to the ground floor and gotten in line. At one point, this line went all the way out to the street. That's the length of one and a half cruise ships.

I didn’t want Kathleen standing through that long line, so I suggested to her and the others that they step outside and sit on a bench and that I would stay in line and text them when I was close to the door it looked like we would go through. It was VERY warm in this confined hallway waiting in line, and it moved sloooowwwllllyyy—inches at a time. Part of the problem was that there were three ships embarking that day, and people kept getting in the wrong line, so the line kept growing. 

After about 40 minutes, we finally reached a door where we thought (hoped) we would get checked in and get onboard. But just like waiting for rides at DisneyWorld, there was an entire other room with winding back-and-forth queues. We spent another 35 minutes or so getting through this room and then had our picture taken by HAL (even though we had submitted one in their app), and they confirmed that it matched our passports. Once we were done doing that, we were sent down the other side of the escalator. We had come in on to what we hoped would be the ship…but that was not to be. 

We were funneled into a room with airport-like scanners to have our carry-on luggage scanned and to walk through metal detectors. To get to the detectors, we waited in another line (with people from all three ships) for at least 40 minutes, hoping against hope that when we got through that line, we could get onboard. 

But it was not to be. Once through the scanners, we found another large room with around 15 lines going up and down to get us to Canadian/US Customs. It took us about 40 minutes to get to the front of that line where there were machines you shoved your passport into, and then it created a little receipt-like sheet of paper that you handed to the Customs person as you exited that room. 

When we finished that, we were told we could board the ship. But we still had a way to walk. So far, we had traversed the length of Canada Place (a building long enough to have two big cruise ships docked next to it) at least twice on two different floors. We walked about the ship’s length back to where we could board Konigsdam, and someone asked us for our boarding passes (after all this—where else could we have come from), and we had to bring them up on our phones again. (Next time, I am printing them out and pinning them to my shirt.) It felt like I was asked for them and my passport about 25 times. Notice, I said it felt like. Probably only 24.

Once we got past that guy and got on the gangway, we were up and almost on the ship, but again…we were asked for our boarding pass…come on, people…talk to each other. 

Total embarkation time—THREE HOURS and 15 MINUTES! We got in line at 12:15 and got on the ship at 3:30. I should also mention that Konigsdam was supposed to sail at 3:00. Glad they didn’t. We didn’t end up sailing until after 5:00. The captain announced it was because we were parked in by the Princess ship behind us, but I am sure the truth was that about half the 2,900 passengers on this ship were still being processed. 

We will admit that we were spoiled. On our last cruise with Viking, we embarked in Athens, Greece. We were picked up by the Viking bus and taken to the port. We got off and walked through a single metal detector, had our bags scanned and walked onboard. Less than 15 minutes from the bus door to being sitting down to a glass of rosé in the restaurant. 

I am hoping that all this is because this was only the fourth day of ships leaving from Canada Place in 2023 and that things will get improve…soon. They better improve or people will stop sailing from Vancouver. 

Here are a few things that would have made this better that you might want to know if you are sailing from Vancouver. First, I made the mistake of checking my rolling bag. I should have taken it on board with me. Not that our bags got lost. We were in line for so long that when we finally got on board, not only was our stateroom ready, our bags were on our bed. But because I had thought that it wouldn’t take too long to get through check-in, I checked my carry-on-sized, wheeled luggage. And that meant that I had to carry my computer/camera bag on my shoulder for more than three hours. Just an FYI: fully loaded it weighs about 15 pounds. Today my shoulder is really wishing I had kept the rolling bag so I could have just pulled the camera bag on it like I usually do.

Another tip for getting through the lines quicker is to bring a cane or be with someone with a cane or crutches. Our buddy Bob had brought one with him (that he borrowed)probably just to hit me with it, and when an attendant saw him, she whisked him and Judy off to the front of the line. It really didn’t help that much since he only got on about 30 minutes before we did. Another trick is to be fairly high in Holland America’s loyalty group, the Mariners. We are two-star, but you don’t start getting priority bookings until you are four or five-star. Lastly, if you book a Neptune suite, you get right in a different line, and you get to board first so no one is ahead of you.

Let’s close this sad story with one piece of advice for everyone. If they say you can board at 1:00 pm, get in line at 10:00 am. You might get on by 1:00. Pay no attention to the boarding time they give you. No one else does.

On board the Konigsdam

We kind of know this ship. Long-time readers of this blog know that we sailed on her sister ship, Nieuw Statendam (NS), back in January of 2022 down in the Caribbean. Konigsdam was the first ship in the Pinnacle Class of Holland America ships, and NS was the second. They are virtually alike, with NS having some tiny improvements. 

The biggest differences between us were two things. First, on NS, we had a Neptune Suite. If you forget what that was like, you can see a video of it by clicking here. It is the largest stateroom we have ever been in at sea. On this ship, we have the basic verandah stateroom. The Neptune Suite is HUGE. Massive king-size bed, huge verandah, full desk, full-size couch and the bathroom…oh, the bathroom. This is the best comparison that I am sure of; our entire bathroom on this cruise would fit into the shower of the Neptune Suite. Seriously. Queen-size bed, miniature couch, tiny desk, barely any room to get around the bed. (Photos of our stateroom are below.StateoomPano.thumb.jpg.f1461b5c2311d92b9bd7274d21fa6567.jpgJCB_9015.thumb.jpg.02a777a9dabfdd1c756a54aa75a9c77e.jpgJCB_9017.thumb.jpg.50230c427a20778ff82cf31e7a903144.jpg

JCB_9018.jpg

JCB_9019.jpg

JCB_9021.jpg

We are truly spoiled. In our last three out of four cruises, we had either a suite (on NS) or two of the most amazing staterooms in the world—Celebrity’s Flora and Viking Ocean’s Penthouse Verandah. Both are almost twice the size of the stateroom I am writing this post in. 

The other reason our NS cruise was so much better…the number of people on board. This morning we spoke to the cruise director here on Konigsdam, the delightful Bettianne. She just happens to have been our cruise director on NS as well. We told her facetiously that we thought the ship was a touch more crowded now than when we had sailed with her last in 2021. She reminded us that she had warned everyone on NS that it would probably never be that way again. You see when we sailed on NS, it was when restrictions were starting to loosen up from the pandemic. Masks and vaccinations were still required. This ship holds 2,700 people when fully sold out. That’s just about what we are sailing with now—2,700 people. But back in January 2022, no one except the really brave was out there sailing, so when we did that cruise, there were only 900 people on board. It was like having your own private ship. Combine that with having a Neptune suite, and this is a totally different experience.

Food

Pre-cruise, Our travel agent had booked all eight of us reservations at two (of the four) specialty restaurants on board. It’s really hard to get a reservation for eight. In fact, much to my disdain, they were only able to put us at two tables for four next to each other in the first place we went to last night. Ticked me off because there were many tables for two. They could have slid together so we could all be at the same table. It also meant the only nights they could accommodate us were the first night and the last night. 

So last night we went to Tamarind, Konigsdam’s Asian restaurant. We had eaten there twice on NS with our buddy Seth, who worked for HAL then. Both times on NS, everything about it was superb. And I am thrilled to say the same is true on Konigsdam. Outstanding food, outstanding service, great cocktails and one thing was even better…our server told us we could have as many appetizers as we liked. We all ordered two! Plus, I got each table an order of lobster rolls from the sushi restaurant that is part of Tamarind (sushi is NOT part of the one price for Tamarind; you pay for that separately—but it is a great price. Eight rolls for $7.95) and they are soooo good.

That was it for me. A couple of the group went to BB King’s Blues Club, but we were wiped out from the waiting in line (and for me, the six-mile photo walk at 5:00 that I posted pictures from yesterday). We went back to the stateroom, and we were out like lights. 

More coming your way tomorrow.

Edited by DrKoob
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Couple of comments - first, on most HAL ships the Neptunes are almost exactly double the size of a verandah (next time look at the outside of the ship and you will see this easily).  Second, I do no know how easy it is to slide two tables together (you are on a ship not a land based restaurant).

• Like 4

Wow, more bad news again about embarkation in Vancouver. I'm scheduled to board Koningsdam in Vancouver on Saturday morning. My parents will be with me. They are in their 70s and my mom has bad knees. Waiting in line for three hours will be no fun. This is all very disheartening. Sounds like our first cruise experience will not start out well. And being unfamiliar with how this is all supposed to work makes me stressed out. Sounds like there's no point in uploading documents because they make you do it all over anyway. 

1 hour ago, fatpig said:

Koningsdam

At this point, Krappingsdam. Just had lunch in the buffet/Dive In. Hamburgers and hot dogs in Dive-In were averaging an hour to prep. Line was 20+ people long. Only three people working there and they are going nuts. In the buffet they ran out of all desserts.

6 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Wow, more bad news again about embarkation in Vancouver. I'm scheduled to board Koningsdam in Vancouver on Saturday morning. My parents will be with me. They are in their 70s and my mom has bad knees. Waiting in line for three hours will be no fun. This is all very disheartening. Sounds like our first cruise experience will not start out well. And being unfamiliar with how this is all supposed to work makes me stressed out. Sounds like there's no point in uploading documents because they make you do it all over anyway. 

NO! I would still upload the docs. Those that had not were sent to still another line to wait in.

11 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

NO! I would still upload the docs. Those that had not were sent to still another line to wait in.

Good to know. Thanks! Anything other than passport to upload?

I hope my family doesn't decide to turn around and go home if the cruise terminal looks like the fall of Saigon.

Edited by Colorado Klutch

23 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Wow, more bad news again about embarkation in Vancouver. I'm scheduled to board Koningsdam in Vancouver on Saturday morning. My parents will be with me. They are in their 70s and my mom has bad knees.

Have you requested wheelchair assistance? Sounds like you should. Your mom will appreciate it (so will her knees). 

• Like 2

Thank you for your trip report. I just want to clarify that it is only US (not Canadian) customs you are clearing on embarkation at Canada Place. I suspect this is why things are often so delayed there. Almost all have to be funneled through the USBP, after checking in with their respective cruise line.

im glad you enjoyed your time (pre-embarkation) in Vancouver!

• Like 1

I will say that it has always been this disorganized at Canada Place at the begining of the season. Lots of new people learning thier job for the new Alaska season, then add to it more than one ship let alone 3 ships and you truly have the perfect storm of chaos and long waits. Canada Place can be a great place to go out of if you are the only ship and it is several weeks into the Alaska Cruise Season. I have done it in early May and it was some of the worst check in's I have ever done and the times in early May we were in a Neptune Suite and trust me it made no difference. It was extremely disorganized. I have also traveled out of Vancouver in June and September and we just walked in and went through both CA and US security extremely quick and walked right on board the ship. 

For those going later this year look how many ships will be in port, also know once they have several weeks under their belt a lot of this unorganization will improve. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Klutch said:

We always print our boarding documents and take them with us along with the passport, vac proof, etc.

As Ruth suggested in her post ask in advance for wheelchair assistance for your Mom.

31 minutes ago, Coolcruise02 said:

Sorry to hear about your embarkation mess. It was just as horrible at San Diego! I'm tired of hearing the blame being customs or port authority. This is a HAL responsibility!

Enjoying your review!

If you waited through the same lines to board the Princess or RCI ship, would it still be HAL’s fault?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Good to know. Thanks! Anything other than passport to upload?

I hope my family doesn't decide to turn around and go home if the cruise terminal looks like the fall of Saigon.

Make sure to download the HAL app. Upload your pictures on it and any other info it asks for. It is your boarding pass. If you have a paper version, it takes longer.

30 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

If you waited through the same lines to board the Princess or RCI ship, would it still be HAL’s fault?

Actually, this is both HAL and The Port of Vancouver's responsibility. When we boarded in Vancouver pre-pandemic, we never had a problem because we cleared Customs and security and THEN did the HAL check-in. We even got our key cards then (now they are on your door onboard). But now you are separated from the other ships, then brought back together and then separated again. It is a logistical nightmare and they need to fix it. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Actually Princess and NCL were both boarding much faster than HAL was with about the same size ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I have done it in early May and it was some of the worst check in's I have ever done and the times in early May we were in a Neptune Suite and trust me it made no difference.

The difference would have been that those suites were given 11:00 am boarding times so they were at the front of the line. I stood next to a gentleman at the bar that told me he was on the ship within 20 minutes but that he was in a Pinnacle Suite and was one of the first to board. Even before NCL and Princess started to board.

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Couple of comments - first, on most HAL ships the Neptunes are almost exactly double the size of a verandah (next time look at the outside of the ship and you will see this easily).  Second, I do no know how easy it is to slide two tables together (you are on a ship not a land based restaurant).

According to HAL's website Neptunes are about double plus another 30 square feet. That is A LOT over what we are in now. 180 square feet. Our last stateroom on Viking Ocean was 338 square feet. I guess I just don't fit as well anymore.

2 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

I agree. Get her a wheelchair. That puts her and up to three others at the front of the line. Won't help a ton but it will get you there about 40 minutes faster and she can sit through it. My wife has had a hip replacement and does not walk well. It was torture for her.

11 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Actually Princess and NCL were both boarding much faster than HAL was with about the same size ships.

Could you please clarify what you mean by “you were separated from the other ships, then brought back together, then separated again”?  Our process was ship check-in, then Security (with other cruise lines), then CBP (with other cruise lines), then we all separated to the ship boarding areas.  Was it the same process for you?

Edited by *Miss G*

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Could you please clarify what you mean by “you were separated from the other ships, then brought back together, then separated again”?  Our process was ship check-in, then Security, then CBP, then to the ship boarding area.  Was it the same process for you?

Yes. First we were just HAL guests in one long line and one big room. Then we were sent downstairs to Security and merged back with the Princess and NCL cruisers and then the same for Customs. Then we finally got back to just HAL to get to the ship where all our ID was checked again. When we sailed pre-pandemic we did HAL last and the other all first. It went a lot smoother.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Make sure to download the HAL app. Upload your pictures on it and any other info it asks for. It is your boarding pass. If you have a paper version, it takes longer.

I have the HAL app. I can't get it to do anything. When I try to upload a picture, it has an arrow to scroll for picture requirements, but there's no button to take a picture or to upload a picture. I will try on the web site. 

25 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

I agree. Get her a wheelchair. That puts her and up to three others at the front of the line. Won't help a ton but it will get you there about 40 minutes faster and she can sit through it. My wife has had a hip replacement and does not walk well. It was torture for her.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll see if I can figure out how to request a wheelchair on the HAL web site. 

We can  understand  the frustration  in boarding at Canada Place .When we did go on  our 5  Alaska cruises we never experienced those difficulties .Yet U can understand as we have run into boarding problems else where . Seems post pandemic it is worse now  ,full ships & longer  lines