Still don't have an onboard charge dispute settled from November-Suggestions?

Derbie

My DH and I were on a sailing Thanksgiving week.  I had purchased a gift box of a delft blue cup and a small pack of coffee at the Dutch cafe, early on dis-embarkment day.  When the staff rang it up, it had an 18% gratuity added to it.  I have no issue whatsoever with tipping; however, I refuse to pay it on a souvenir/retail purchase.  The staff couldn't remove the amount or refund my account.  So, I went to guest services and asked for it to be removed from my account and left the package with them.  They assured me it would be handled.  When I got home and reviewed my statement it was still present. I called HAL, but the prompt only directs you to email and no option of speaking with anyone.  It simply disconnects the call at the end of the recording.  So, I sent an email to HAL around the end of November.  On Jan 6th I received an email with a copy of my statement, asking which amount was in question?  I had already disclosed this is in the first email. I did reply to them on the same day. We are now in May, and I have heard nothing.  I have made multiple calls, and I am getting nowhere.  I know $44 and some change is not a lot, but it is the point and it is my money.  If I owed them, they would be threatening me with collections after all these months.  I posted on their FB page, but have heard nothing.  I am thinking of just asking Bank of America to disbute in my behalf.  Can any of you kind souls, make any suggestions or directives?  We are seasoned cruisers, and it was the first time on HAL.  I liked the cruise a lot, but I am very disappointed with this.  In fact, even with Covid slowing things down, I find five months to settle this situation, poor customer service.

Sometimes it's the principle of the thing and I get that. Sometimes it makes more sense to let it go. If you can't let it go, file a dispute with your bank. that's pretty easily handled, without taking much of your time, and it's much less frustrating. Good luck!

Edited by BobbiSox
typo
  • Like 1

Guest ldtr

On many cruise lines there is a service charge on all on board purchases, that unlike, the daily service charge is not removable.

If the total cost was not acceptable the other option was to not buy the item

I do not ever recall having to pay gratuity for any purchases in the ship stores. Maybe the coffee purchase from the Dutch cafe is considered a food purchase. It is probably too late, but when I have had something show up I didn't purchase or agree with on my invoice from a cruise, I dispute it with my CC and it gets reversed with no questions asked.

• Like 1

If you left the package with them then i would assume it was simply a return so I would file a dispute with your credit card company that you did not receive the item as you returned it.  I suspect it should be simple reversal on credit card charge unless for some reason the shop/receipt clearly stated no returns.

Credit card disputes usually have to be made within 30 days of the bill date.  Did the OP get any confirmation that she had returned the item?  Nonetheless, HAL's good customer relations should have allowed the credit, even though the shop is an independent business.  BTW, I have never seen a gratuity on any of my shop purchases, and being 5*, we have had many cruises.

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

Credit card disputes usually have to be made within 30 days of the bill date.  Did the OP get any confirmation that she had returned the item?  Nonetheless, HAL's good customer relations should have allowed the credit, even though the shop is an independent business.  BTW, I have never seen a gratuity on any of my shop purchases, and being 5*, we have had many cruises.

Having been through the Old Crystal Cruises/Genting bankruptcy debacle, I will say that credit card disputes can be filed much later than 30 days.  My Mastercard dispute was filed about 6 months after the cruise was cancelled and I did get my money back (eventually).  It was way more than $44 dollars!

@Derbie you "shouldn't" have to go that route but for closure on the issue, maybe that would be the simplest thing this time.  Shame on HAL for the poor service here!!  

Good luck,

~Nancy