What are the times Early Dining (First Sitting) & Late Dining (Second Sitting)?

SireDoime

I'll be boarding Queen Elizabeth in June, and I would like insight into the dining times.

What time is Early Dining (First Sitting) and Late Dining (Second Sitting)? I chose this so I wouldn't miss any shows I want to see.

I heard from some on Cruiseline/Shipmate (the few that sail on Cunard), that it appears to be a hassle or impossible, but no one explains why.

Most seem to blame the "old people".

Can I have insight on the dining experience with Cunard with regard to Dining Times (1st & 2nd [& 3rd] Sittings), please?

Also, does one who chooses Open Dining often wait a bit longer to be seated?

Thank you.

The shows [and Queen's room events] should be timed to accommodate both early and late Britannia seatings. [Club and Grills are anytime dining with an assigned table so they can choose either showtime]

The traditional dining is assigned seating - you always have the same assigned table, and for Britannia either the early [6 ish] or late [8 ish] seating time. We have always preferred the late seating so there was time between afternoon tea and dinner.

What I observed on QM2 back in October to November [and was reported for the 'Coronation Cruise'] was that the 'open dining' option meant that you needed to discover your table each night, after waiting on a long line - with delays in service after being shown to that's nights table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Early or late dining allows you to have the same wait staff throughout your voyage.

Typically early starts around 6:00 and late starts around 8:00-8:30. (Check your schedule once you board)

Open dining gives you flexibility with your time, but you will not necessarily have the same staff

(I have done open dining with other lines before and had to wait in a queue… I prefer to have traditional dining, honestly… but many people like the flexibility- and with QE in Alaska, you may really like that.)

Others blaming age on the timing of Cunard cruise dining is a bit asinine to me… Cunard creates a lovely atmosphere for dining in Britannia. 
The time it takes to have a beautiful meal has zero to do with the age of the passengers.

It is not a quick service meal- and nor should it be.

On our Cunard voyage in 2019 we had early seating (and had no problem seeing any shows we wanted to see).

For Alaska this year we are planning for late seating since we will be active in the ports and want to be on deck or on our balcony for sail-aways and scenery. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. That helps. I forgot I asked this question before.

But these are the actual answers I needed.

Can I change it if one does not suit over the other?

Edited by SireDoime
add qyest

2 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

The time it takes to have a beautiful meal has zero to do with the age of the passengers.

It is not a quick service meal- and nor should it be.

Yeah, I didn't get that either. It seems they were suggesting that older people take longer to eat or it's REALLY crowded...but I never got a straight answer. People on Cruiseline/Shipmate really like to fuss about silly things.

2 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

For Alaska this year we are planning for late seating since we will be active in the ports and want to be on deck or on our balcony for sail-aways and scenery

This is why I was considering late dining.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SireDoime said:

Can I change it if one does not suit over the other?

I have read online about people asking to switch and being able to do so, but since I have never asked to move, I can’t say for certain.

If your seating does not suit you, you can always ask if the other has availability- Then they can say yes or no.

• Like 1

Well I suppose that at 74 years of age I would be considered to be 'old' and guess what, despite always doing second sitting, hubby and myself have never missed a show yet.  It's been close.....! 🤣

• Like 2