Nieuw Amsterdam and Nieuw Statendam ?'s

beshears

2 hours ago, beshears said:

I am planning on booking either of the two ships for next year for 8 of us and would like your (yes I know this is YOUR opinion) pros/cons of this ship.

You realize these are two different ships, two different models. They are both very nice ships, have sailed both, like both and would definitely sail both again,  but as the newer, larger ship, Statendam has a few more food and entertainment venues.

• Like 1

We have enjoyed sailing on both ships twice and would choose the itinerary first with regards to these two ships. The Nieuw Statendam (NSDM) has 286 more cabins for approximately 560+ more passengers than the Nieuw Amsterdam (NADM). Where we noticed the diffeence was at a port that required tendering in that we stood in line longer than what we were accustomed to waiting. No other issues with regards to capacity though.

You do mention that there will be 8 of you traveling. I haven't counted them exactly but I believe that the Nieuw Statendam has more connecting rooms to choose from than the Nieuw Amsterdam if that is important to you.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove

Thank you to each of you have responded to my request about either of these two ships. I will take this information you have given to me, and it will help us decide on what direction we will take for our cruise next year.

Both are wonderful ships for different reasons.  I would chose the Nieuw Statendam becauseI love the music walk and how its set up.  The Grand Dutch Cafe is another favorite spot for espresso martini’s and specialty coffees along with some nice treats.  I also love the showers in the cabins as they have glass doors vs. the dreaded shower curtain.

You can’t go wrong with either ship, depends upon what your looking for.

The Nieuw Statendam has the Dutch Cafe, which is my go-to dining venue when I don't like the options in the other venues. It's just  beautiful and the food is always freshly prepared. 

A couple of you mentioned the Dutch cafe. Is that free, or is there a charge for what they offer. Other than the MDR, and buffet, what other food is free on the ship?

Are there two formal nights or just one?

If you purchased any 8 x 10 pictures, what was the price?

15 minutes ago, beshears said:

A couple of you mentioned the Dutch cafe. Is that free, or is there a charge for what they offer. Other than the MDR, and buffet, what other food is free on the ship?

Are there two formal nights or just one?

If you purchased any 8 x 10 pictures, what was the price?

A little reading around the board would get you a lot of info.

Dive In is free. Pizza is free. Dutch Cafe is mostly free...think they have a couple of extra charge items, like alcohol. What food is free is different on the two ships mentioned in the title of this thread, as these are two different models of ship, and the Statendam has more places to eat, both free and extra charge.

HAL doesn't have "formal" nights anymore, they are called "dressy", and a much more relaxed dress code. How many dressy nights will depend on the length of the cruise.

CruiserBruce, thank you for answering several of my questions, and these answers have made a big difference in what I had wanted to know about the Nieuw Statendam especially.

Yes I would prefer the "up to date," but it looks like some of the things I did over my 15 cruises or more, or starting to decline, and that is a disappointment to me, but maybe not to others.