Explain it to me like I'm a 6-year-old: Why doesn't X go to PD@CC?

Honolulu Blue

Three datapoints:

The rides/experiences  are not free.  I can’t see more than 2% of a typical celebrity crowd willing to pay a fee to go down a tall waterslide. Yet that doesn’t explain why they aren’t sending celebrity ships to the island when there’s only one RCI ship there that day

On RCI’s website, it states “CoCo Cay is exclusively for RCI guests”

If you look at who purchased the island, it’s the parent company RCG

To oversimplify it, it would seem celebrity leadership either didn’t care about coco cay in the first place, didn’t put up much of a fight to visit there or receives some sort of monetary benefit to have it remain exclusive to RCI

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Looks like I've got some catching up to do. Or just ask a little kid. 😁

Here’s what I asked, this is what it came up with in five seconds:

DaveKathy was a cruise fanatic, Sailing the seas, no need for panic, Their bags were packed, they were ready to go, To see new sights and put on a show.

But DaveKathy was quite the jester, Making puns and jokes, never a rester, They'd tease the staff and make them grin, With laughter echoing from stem to fin.

As they boarded the ship, they raised a toast, To adventure and fun, they loved the most, With drinks in hand and smiles so wide, They sailed away with the changing tide.

But DaveKathy had a secret trick, To pull a prank, and make others tick, One night at dinner, they put on a wig, And pretended to be a famous bigwig.

The waiters and guests were all amazed, As DaveKathy signed autographs unfazed, They laughed and joked, no one was spared, And memories of that night were forever shared.

So if you see DaveKathy on your next cruise, Be ready for fun, and lots of good news, For they'll make you laugh, and leave you in stitches, And memories of that trip will be filled with riches.

IMG_6296.jpeg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Here’s what I asked, this is what it came up with in five seconds:

DaveKathy was a cruise fanatic, Sailing the seas, no need for panic, Their bags were packed, they were ready to go, To see new sights and put on a show.

But DaveKathy was quite the jester, Making puns and jokes, never a rester, They'd tease the staff and make them grin, With laughter echoing from stem to fin.

As they boarded the ship, they raised a toast, To adventure and fun, they loved the most, With drinks in hand and smiles so wide, They sailed away with the changing tide.

But DaveKathy had a secret trick, To pull a prank, and make others tick, One night at dinner, they put on a wig, And pretended to be a famous bigwig.

The waiters and guests were all amazed, As DaveKathy signed autographs unfazed, They laughed and joked, no one was spared, And memories of that night were forever shared.

So if you see DaveKathy on your next cruise, Be ready for fun, and lots of good news, For they'll make you laugh, and leave you in stitches, And memories of that trip will be filled with riches.

IMG_6296.jpeg

Thanks I like that. I learn something new everyday day on CC. 

CocoCay is a cash cow -- the waterpark, cabanas, and private beach club in particular. Have Icon and Utopia there on the same day, and profits are sky high. Utopia and Allure are each going to call there twice a week. Icon once a week. Then there's still the other Oasis Class ships sailing the 7 nighters, plus an Oasis/Quantum Class ship from NJ, and any other ship they can fit in. Finding a day for a X ship to regularly call will be difficult.

It also totally goes against Celebrity's Modern/Relaxed Luxury marketing. "Relaxed Luxury Resorts at Sea" just won't have the same appeal when they pull up to an island with an amusement park, docked next to Icon, which is also an amusement park, and both are full of families and kids. 

X's marketing, product development, and deployment people have clearly decided that the vast majority of Celebrity cruises are not interested in PDCC. 

I think its funny that X is starting to frequently call at Labadee now though, which used to be the "amusement park" style island with the zipline and such. Now its nothing compared to CocoCay. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

CocoCay is a cash cow -- the waterpark, cabanas, and private beach club in particular. Have Icon and Utopia there on the same day, and profits are sky high. Utopia and Allure are each going to call there twice a week. Icon once a week. Then there's still the other Oasis Class ships sailing the 7 nighters, plus an Oasis/Quantum Class ship from NJ, and any other ship they can fit in. Finding a day for a X ship to regularly call will be difficult.

It also totally goes against Celebrity's Modern/Relaxed Luxury marketing. "Relaxed Luxury Resorts at Sea" just won't have the same appeal when they pull up to an island with an amusement park, docked next to Icon, which is also an amusement park, and both are full of families and kids. 

X's marketing, product development, and deployment people have clearly decided that the vast majority of Celebrity cruises are not interested in PDCC. 

I think its funny that X is starting to frequently call at Labadee now though, which used to be the "amusement park" style island with the zipline and such. Now its nothing compared to CocoCay. 

100% agree with this...I (rhetorically) asked earlier, during the days when there is only one RCI ship there for the day, wouldn't having an X ship also in port for the day be more profitable than no second ship at all?  Clearly this is an entirely different scenario than X "stealing" a slot from RCI

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 5:36 PM, Obobru said:

I don't think Coco cay is aimed at the Celebrity cruiser it's more mass market. If celebrity had a private island I would expect some thing more tranquil and not a huge pool or a water park and zip slide. Everything on Coco reflects the Royal ships, loud and in your face.  

The huge pool (with its own zip code I might add) is the only reason hubby and I get off at Royal's private island. That area is very serene and gorgeous. I love the loungers in the water at the edges of the pool. It is the only pool that I can swim in while on a cruise. I just love it. The bar in the pool is a really nice touch too.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 11:56 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Does anyone have an explanation for this?  A link to an article discussing this subject would be fine.  Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. 🙂

Because it is marketed as Royal Caribbean's Perfect Day. Probably a 2 year old could understand that. If you want to go there book an RCI cruise. There is nothing to say that an X ship would never go there but there a lot more RCI ships than X ships. Also the logistics.  They bring over the staff, food and beverages from the ship. And the RCI ships crew are trained to staff Perfect Day. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

100% agree with this...I (rhetorically) asked earlier, during the days when there is only one RCI ship there for the day, wouldn't having an X ship also in port for the day be more profitable than no second ship at all?  Clearly this is an entirely different scenario than X "stealing" a slot from RCI

Since the crew staffing is done from the ships as is the provisioning having one RCI ship and one X ship would entail logistical issues. 

Edited by Charles4515

6 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Good question, I have no idea

I have been there 6 or 7 times on RCI and twice on Celebrity. The provisioning was definitely different. We had better food on the Celebrity days. They had those flat steaks they grill at the buffet. They were not selling labadozies when I was there on Celebrity. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Since the crew staffing is done from the ships 

Actually well over 300 employees live on the island in supplied housing.  Considering there are frequent sailings from Florida, provisioning is probably done in quantity from these visits vs. each individual sailing.

Edited by jwlane
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Actually well over 300 employees live on the island in supplied housing.  Considering there are frequent sailings from Florida, provisioning is probably done in quantity from these visits vs. each individual sailing.

Ships crew is serving the food and selling the drinks. I have recognized them from the ship. There are permanent personnel there doing the maintenance. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2023 at 10:03 AM, davekathy said:

If they don't, they'll goole it. 🤣

I googled PD@CC, nothing even remotely related to a private island came up near the front. But I did find some articles about power delivery and one about the Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control system.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

I googled PD@CC, nothing even remotely related to a private island came up near the front. But I did find some articles about power delivery and one about the Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control system.

And you took my post seriously. You didn't see the laughing...🤣

8 hours ago, Lisah101 said:

I think CC is too busy with just the Royal Caribbean cruises.  Just look at the schedule!

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/coco-cay-bahamas-cruise-ship-schedule-2023.html

There is about 5k or more people there every day if the ships are running full.

Royals plan was to have every RCI sailing out of Florida do Perfect Day at Coco Cay. That is why they built the dock and upgraded everything there. Royal’s fleet includes ships that are too large to call at many Caribbean ports. Ships that also can’t tender. Celebrity’s fleet can dock or tender at most ports. So it is common sense for Royal not to deploy X ships to use up Coco Cay slots. Perhaps some day it will make sense. If Royal builds a few more private islands then the deployments could change. It is a business decision pure and simple. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last Sept we were on Oasis at CoCoCay.  I could have sworn there was a Celebrity ship across the pier from us.   Not disputing any previous comments.   Just saying it might have happened or maybe I was having hallucinations.  😀

13 hours ago, Lisah101 said:

I think CC is too busy with just the Royal Caribbean cruises.  Just look at the schedule!

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/coco-cay-bahamas-cruise-ship-schedule-2023.html

There is about 5k or more people there every day if the ships are running full.

As previously stated and validated by your link, there are days when RCI only has one ship in port…The original question remains, on days when there’s only one RCI ship in port, wouldn’t adding an X ship be better than having no ship at all?  The island is already staffed by RCI anyways, if needed, it’s not that hard logically to add some X crew members 

40 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

As previously stated and validated by your link, there are days when RCI only has one ship in port…The original question remains, on days when there’s only one RCI ship in port, wouldn’t adding an X ship be better than having no ship at all?  The island is already staffed by RCI anyways, if needed, it’s not that hard logically to add some X crew members 

They have not done it so management must not think it is better or logical.  

I have done Perfect Day. One Oasis Class ship that day.  If there were two ships and one was Oasis class I would probably stay on the ship.  If I were on a Celebrity sailing and there was any RCI ship there too I would definitely stay on the ship. I don’t think it would be a perfect day. 

Edited by Charles4515