Best way to get to Rotterdam

Tampa Girl

6 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

I think the issue may be like the UK in the Netherlands they use chip and pin system where you will be asked to input your PIN number which is usually a 4 digit code. If you card doesn’t have one you will need to buy from a kiosk or insert cash. 

Thank you for this information, I just sent a request to my CC for a pin to use in Amsterdam when we visit in September.

20 hours ago, kazu said:

Oh that’s a toughie - you can never see everything in Amsterdam and Rotterdam with just a few days.  If you want to go to Kinderdijk, then you’ll need to allow for an extra day.  But if you want to do the highlights of Rotterdam proper - perhaps get out for a moment at Hotel New York and the Rotterdam (ship) you could do a nice overview on embarkation day.  Leave your hotel in Amsterdam around 9 AM and see some of the sights.  

Can Kinderdijk be done better from Amsterdam or Rotterdam, or doesn't it matter?  Now I am thinking that perhaps 3 days in Amsterdam is better and leave Rotterdam for embarkation-day highlights.  I am really getting excited now about this trip, which came up unexpectedly.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Can Kinderdijk be done better from Amsterdam or Rotterdam, or doesn't it matter?  Now I am thinking that perhaps 3 days in Amsterdam is better and leave Rotterdam for embarkation-day highlights.  I am really getting excited now about this trip, which came up unexpectedly.  

It can be done from Amsterdam - but, it’s a longer drive.  I believe there are tours offered from Amsterdam to it.  It’s much closer to Rotterdam - by about an hour shorter.  Quick trip from Rotterdam - from Amsterdam you are going just past Rotterdam assuming I remember my geography 🙂 

There’s lots to see.  If you haven’t been to the Anne Frank house, it’s well worth a visit IMO.  You need to buy your tickets on line - entrance is very limited.  I believe ticket sales still open up 30 days out - but you might want to check me on that one 😉 

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

The water taxi is immediately next to the Rotterdam cruise port.  It is an easy ride to Kinderdjik.  They may even offer a “package”

• Like 1

About 7 years ago, we experienced problems using our US credit card in Europe because it has "signature priority".  This only occurred at automated kiosks, like train stations, car parks, and toll booths.  So we explored the few places in the US that offered "PIN priority" and ultimately joined a credit union on the other coast just to get one.  We only use this credit card for foreign travels and haven't had a problem since.  And if you have a signature priority card, and you get a PIN for that card, it may still not work.  It depends how the kiosk was programmed.  To be guaranteed to work, you need a true PIN priority card.  Here is a website that discusses this issue:
https://moneytips.com/best-chip-and-pin-credit-cards/

However, in the last couple years, we have found that tap-to-pay credit cards now seem to work at these payment kiosks, so a PIN priority credit card is less required than it once was in Europe and around the world.

Edited by Torquer

3 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Ex-Pat column explains current ways to access and pay for Dutch public transportation systems: (Lo-tech me says, I think I will just walk.)

https://www.expatica.com/nl/living/transportation/guide-to-public-transport-in-the-netherlands-100594/

Then again, I have never had a problem spending money.  I always find a way.😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Yes.  Between the two cities, how would you recommend splitting the time if we were going to fly to AMS three or 4 days before sailing

We have visited both places and really enjoyed spending several nights in Rotterdam.  It is very close to Kinderdikj,  which we really enjoyed. You see how the people lived in the windmills and can go inside them.  Rotterdam is a very modern city because of the war,   It has a first rate art museum.  We also enjoyed a wonderful Ristafl, highly recommend you try that.  And they had a very interesting restaurants. 
It is also very well connected by public transport, trains, trams, etc.     We easily visited the very beautiful Delft, and also The Hague which is a lovely city.   So lots of possibilities. 
I would recommend two or three nights in Rotterdam depending on what you wish to visit.  So your idea of a few nights pre cruise in one city and a few nights in the other post sounds great..

• Like 1

More info might be had on the Cruise Critic Ports of Call board.    

I haven’t been to these places since several years ago so I’m not up to date on payment methods, but I’d love to get back to Amsterdam, there’s so much to enjoy there!  We used the train from AMS into Amsterdam by buying tickets at a staffed window - she charged us senior rates; our hotel was within east walking to train station, canal boats and tram. We enjoyed using the canal boats within Amsterdam for transportation to museums etc; used the surface tram one night to return to hotel after a symphony concert - paid in cash with what euros we had, with no change available but what we had was close enough. 

Visited Kinderdijke by river cruise. It is a very special place to visit, learn about and experience the windmills as such an essential part of the Netherlands’ reclamation of land from the sea. 

Again, check out the Ports of Call forum. Happy planning!  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lunar Dragon said:

To see working windmills closer to Amsterdam, try the Zaanse Schans!  It is about 17 minutes by train from Amsterdam and brings 18 and 19 century Netherlands to life.  There are museums as well as the windmills and its a great place to visit.  The website is:

https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/discover/windmills/

We took bikes up there and rode about all day. 

• Like 2