Anyone ever do this?

It seems like luggage delivery is getting later and later. Last cruise, I didn't get my bags until after 7 p.m, and only because I found them in a crew-only area.

I'm wondering if it makes more sense to choose a late boarding time and just transport my suitcases myself. Even if the cabins are ready at 3:00, I can start unpacking hours earlier.

Anyone ever do this, and is it even possible?  Thanks.

You can take your own luggage (we do) unless it won't fit in the x-ray machine.  The machines at some ports are smaller (narrower) than the ones at the airport.  In that case, you have to leave your bags with a porter who will take them to a larger (wider) machine, and it will (hopefully) be delivered to your room.  

Like you, NCL "lost" my large bag once, but it was found in a crew only area.  

• Like 1

yes.  I've never checked my bags on any of my 7 cruises.  I get to the port between noon and 1.  by the time I've finished lunch, rooms are generally ready.  I've even boarded at 12:30 and been able to go directly to my room.  My first cruise, I simply didn't know anything about checking bags in and having them delivered.  Now, I would never do anything but carry on/off my bags myself.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

yes.  I've never checked my bags on any of my 7 cruises.  I get to the port between noon and 1.  by the time I've finished lunch, rooms are generally ready.  I've even boarded at 12:30 and been able to go directly to my room.  My first cruise, I simply didn't know anything about checking bags in and having them delivered.  Now, I would never do anything but carry on/off my bags myself.

Thanks. I always carry them off, but have never tried carrying them on.

1 hour ago, craig01020 said:

It seems like luggage delivery is getting later and later. Last cruise, I didn't get my bags until after 7 p.m, and only because I found them in a crew-only area.

I'm wondering if it makes more sense to choose a late boarding time and just transport my suitcases myself. Even if the cabins are ready at 3:00, I can start unpacking hours earlier.

Even though I have not used it, there's supposed to be a location where you can check your bag/luggage after you board. That way you can stroll the ship without dragging around your luggage Just ask one of the crew when you get onboard.

Edited by IrieBajan54
correction

2 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Even though I have not used it, there's supposed to be a location where you can check your bag/luggage after you board. That way you can stroll the ship without dragging around your luggage Just ask one of the crew when you get onboard.

I've done this on the smaller ships (pearl, sun) and it was nice.  Looks like they don't offer this on the larger ships, unfortunately.  

1 hour ago, craig01020 said:

We have never had bags delivered that late. Even since they have gone to once-a-day room cleaning where the stewards are delayed in their ability to shift luggage. 

After standing in the security line for half an hour, you need to get your the bags through x-ray machine. Otherwise, take them back outside and repeat the security line. Then you need to drag them around until the cabins are open at 2:30-3:00. 

Your fellow passengers would greatly prefer that you check your luggage with the porters.

Embarkation day is busy, and you see people who are dragging luggage, bumping into people on the gangway, halls, elevators, restaurants, blocking passageways. You're dragging your bags to the bars and the pool. 

It is just a bad idea. 

Nonsense. If I bring my one suitcase and a carry-on,  park in front of the closest bar, and chill out - - this idea lets me unpack (I’ll answer: I prefer everything in its place asap, plus access to stuff that didn’t fit in my carry-on) and start my vacation. I think it’s a great idea!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ellipooh said:

Nonsense. If I bring my one suitcase and a carry-on,  park in front of the closest bar, and chill out - - this idea lets me unpack (I’ll answer: I prefer everything in its place asap, plus access to stuff that didn’t fit in my carry-on) and start my vacation. I think it’s a great idea!

nonsense indeed. 

no! and i wouldnt even think/consider dragging my luggage onboard with me. thank god for the porters. slip them a $10, and then dont worry about it. since i've put all my essentials into my carry on, there is nothing in any other suitcase that i need so desperately that i cant wait. At 7:00, on a cruise ship,  the fun is just starting, drinks are flowing, musics playing, dinners are being served, i can wait, and it appears to me, that dragging around a suitcase until the cabin is ready, is way more of an inconvenience

• Like 2

As always, there are pros and cons. We both have backpacks and purse-things that hold everything we need until we get our luggage. Doesn't matter if it's 3 pm or 7 pm.

Our preference is to get lunch, do the muster, grab a drink or two, and tour the ship. That's tough to do when dragging around your luggage.

But your preferences may be different.

• Like 1