Why haven't daily gratuities gone down?

15 minutes ago, jencruzin said:

Our main reason for moving - Besides ONE time we strayed off to do a Carnival cruise (never again) we've been with Royal ever since and nothing else. Overall, time for a change. I know, Celebrity is part of Royal, but we'll give that one a go, already eyeing the idea of going Sky Suite and inclusive drink package.

That sounds like it will be a great cruise.  We are still cruising Royal because of the benefits we get, but as we get older and the guests get younger, we will probably move to Celebrity 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

There are people behind the scenes that depend on tips to make a decent wage. When you remove gratuities, you are directly impacting these crew members because you can’t tip people you never see.  

And there is no instance in which I tip those I don't see.   When you go to a hotel, do you tip the laundry person and the person that runs the floor cleaner late at night?   I don't.  I tip the person who comes in and cleans my shower, brings clean towels, vacuums my room, and makes the bed.  I would prefer that the cruise lines pay people behind the scenes as any other business does.    These are not people that should be "tipped."  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, scooter6251 said:

If you have a problem with gratuities to the people that work so hard to make your cruise so enjoyable, maybe you should consider camping instead of cruising. Most people tip beyond the required amounts.

Funny, I manage to go on many holidays but it's the only ones where American companies are involved im expected to pay the staff instead of the company employing them. 

Rest of the world manages to provide service as good as if not better than American run companies without the need for tips.  

Actually MOST PEOPLE don't tip at all. America isn't MOST people. It's one country who has invented the worlds worst system in hospitality. 

There is nothing special about American food, service or experiences so tipping has resulted in nothing additional that I get from places where tips are not expected at all.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Funny, I manage to go on many holidays but it's the only ones where American companies are involved im expected to pay the staff instead of the company employing them. 

Rest of the world manages to provide service as good as if not better than American run companies without the need for tips.  

Actually MOST PEOPLE don't tip at all. America isn't MOST people. It's one country who has invented the worlds worst system in hospitality. 

There is nothing special about American food, service or experiences so tipping has resulted in nothing additional that I get from places where tips are not expected at all.

As mentioned earlier, studies have shown that tipping doesnt always equate to better service. The tipping culture in the US also contributes sexual harassment, discrimination, racism and entitlement. 

But Americans have been brainwashed that they must leave 15-20% when dining out regardless of the service received because of the successful guilt campaign that someone Americans are responsible for supplementing wages of the company in which they dine.

Thats why you find such poor service in many US restaurants because the servers know that most diners will leave some kind of tip regardless of the service they provide.

This now extends to the cruise industry where a savior complex is added where people believe they are "saving" people from 3rd world countries by tipping them. 

Royal could change this practice any time they like. So people shouldnt whine when people remove a tip that the cruise line allows them to do.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

We completely agree.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scooter6251 said:

If you have a problem with gratuities to the people that work so hard to make your cruise so enjoyable, maybe you should consider camping instead of cruising. Most people tip beyond the required amounts.

No they don't. I can assure you most people do not tip beyond the required amount.

7 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

And the attitude:  don’t like it, go elsewhere?

That’s not how a brand builds loyalty.  

Why should Royal (any company) make a change back as long as they're selling cruises at 100%+?  If enough people stop sailing, Royal does one of the following or both:

* Decrease prices

* Increase perks

4 hours ago, Mikamarii said:

People like to tell themselves they tip based on service but a quick google search of studies shows that in tipping, service can have very little to do with it.

Go over to the Australian boards and pose the question of how much you should tip while there. The whole notion of tipping is absurd. Including it in the fare wont change a thing. Book any ‘all inclusive’ in Mexico and each one will say “gratuities included’. 

And I don’t tip at the Mexican AI resorts 

The minute Royal rolls it into the fare (which I am fine with) I won’t tip on board either. 

4 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

There are certain implied services inherent in the fare:  housekeeping is one.  So is running water in room and electricity.

What's NOT specifically written in the contract associated with the fare is the extent or frequency of that housekeeping service.  For decades that standard has been daily service, but the majors have decided to shake that up.

There WAS a financial investment in the initiation of the once a day service.  No doubt numerous meetings and retraining with the room stewards.  It seemed that my cabin steward this weekend was TRAINED on a SPEECH he delivered to explain the new policy.  Online videos were created for guest services and there were meetings conducted by housekeeping directed at guest services, helping them understand the change so they could better react to guests who confront them about the policy change.

And as far as I know, as far back in time as when the DSC was instituted, guests could request the removal without question or hassle.  Who created that policy?  The cruise lines ... and it's been pretty standard practice across the lines.  Could they alter course and make DSC mandatory?  Of course.  Why haven't they?  Probably because it's just not worth the trouble.  They are NOT going to let their panties get all twisted over a financially immaterial issue:  don't sweat the small stuff.

The moment they make it mandatory, it is now considered “revenue” and that creates its own little set of issues. 

4 hours ago, Mikamarii said:

People like to tell themselves they tip based on service but a quick google search of studies shows that in tipping, service can have very little to do with it.

Go over to the Australian boards and pose the question of how much you should tip while there. The whole notion of tipping is absurd. Including it in the fare wont change a thing. Book any ‘all inclusive’ in Mexico and each one will say “gratuities included’. 

but we arent in mexico...

Hey!  Here's an idea since you seem more impassioned about those who remove the DSC than Royal appears to be....

Similar to RoyalUP, contract with RCI.  With today's technology it should be easy for a guest services representative to ask the guest who requests the DSC to please step into a convenient small office and sit at a desk where they are video conferenced directly with you.  Then you can berate them, tell them what low-life's they are... and say anything else you want.... all in an attempt to get them to change their mind.  For every DSC you passionately preserve, Royal will pay you a cut while retaining the balance.  It's a win-win situation.   Royal makes money.  And you make a few coins while directing your feelings towards and audience where it can make a difference, rather than here where it's the same old routine.

where do i sign up? I will do it for fun and donate it back to the original waiter/asst/steward. 

If it matters, i have been tipped on every single fare i had today which is unheard of in the rideshare industry. It is the Tip gods! 

4 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Maybe Royal doesn’t mind some exodus of customers. In my workplace, the sharp increase in our prices post-covid has caused the very cost-conscious public to go elsewhere, and those guests have been replaced by people who are spending considerably more, we are busier than ever. 

ding ding ding! 

I agree 100%.  I witnessed two tourists from the USA leave a 10 pound note in London as a tip for two beers.  After they walked away the bartender took the tip and said:  "Stupid Americans!"

but they either put it in their pocket or a bucket to share with the other staff. Or did they buy rounds for all the un-stupid americans? Know that if you say the latter, it will be called Something That Never Happened. 

22 hours ago, scooter6251 said:

I actually do not have a problem with gratuities as you ask.

And I am appreciative at the crew's dedication to providing the best hospitality they can.

But I begin to wonder and I read so many posts here where people are so empathetic towards crew who they feel "work so hard"  and are concerned about them earning a "decent" living, including those behind the scenes workers you never meet.  All this worry about a staff you see and enjoy services from....for perhaps one or two cruises a year???

Do you place as much passion and concern towards the well-being of the workers and their children who work along side their parents that harvest the fruit and vegetables you eat every day?  

Until the day you're on a cruise and your cabin steward grasps your arm in terror, pleading for you to help them escape the ship, rest assured that as I posted earlier, cruise lines treat all their crew members fairly.  Worry not about poor little overworked Tan and Gia.  Whereas the migrant workers who help get food to your table in the USA are better beneficiaries for your sympathy and support.  Write your congressperson.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last cruise on Wonder I removed tips and tipped those that provided a service to me, The room attendant said that my tip was a lot more than he would have gotten from the auto tips as it's pooled across so many people.

I personally don't care if others lost out, I tip to those who provide ME with service and no others, if royal wants to use tips to top up non-tipped positions rather than pay them a decent wage that's upto them, but I will no longer be helping them.

I also found out some of the tip pool is retained and is given out as rewards such as recognition events for good work and receiving good feed back, things that should be coming from royal not from a Tip.

The entire onboard service charge stinks, and as long as I can I will remove it and tip those who provide me with service - which is what a Tip should be.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

ding ding ding! 

Where are these higher paying guests going to come from exactly? and do they like mediocre food, 90% off Invicta tat watches and cocktails made from syrup in plastic cups? 

Last time I checked, higher paying guests want higher level experiences. Not Royals floating version of holiday in express. 

Cruising is a budget holiday experience which is being priced like a premium one. This never ends well when the music stops... which it will.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gavvy said:

I also found out some of the tip pool is retained and is given out as rewards such as recognition events for good work and receiving good feed back, things that should be coming from royal not from a Tip.

The entire onboard service charge stinks, and as long as I can I will remove it and tip those who provide me with service - which is what a Tip should be.

Some?  Try about 43% which is listed as Other Hotel Service.

Edited by PWP-001
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Some?  Try about 43% which is listed as Other Hotel Service.

Yes but Royal would let you think that 100% of your auto tip is going to all crew on that cruise and it's not the case, some of the share from all that breakdown is apparently retained and given out when and how royal feels for recognition and motivation events, these are things that a company should be paying for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gavvy said:

Yes but Royal would let you think that 100% of your auto tip is going to all crew on that cruise and it's not the case, some of the share from all that breakdown is apparently retained and given out when and how royal feels for recognition and motivation events, these are things that a company should be paying for.

Of course they do.  A good five years ago I read through the NCL documentation where they clearly stated and defined all imposed gratuities to the room, on beverage packages, specialty dining checks, bar bills, as "Gratuity Service Charges"  While today I can't remember to quote exact words, but I can share that the concept was that they took it all and used it as a labor expense offset.  But they also --without divulging details-- mentioned that they had incentive programs that compensated service employees.  

Though RCI doesn't disclose the same, it's a good bet that they have a similar method in place.

Bottom line is the programs take the position that rather than automatically charge guests and just had the money over, like the money is a given, they instead incentivize the employees to earn it.  Whatever the criteria are, you can bet the aim is to improve profitability and guest service.  So it's intended to be a win-win.

Read post #89 from @chengkp75 a credible source who mentions how worker contracts contain both fixed and variable compensation.

5 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

But there in lies the rub, cutbacks + increased pricing creates a problem. How to retain loyal customers who notice the cutbacks and are questioning the value proposition while at the same time attracting new customers

Why do you need loyal customers if you have people that are ready and willing to take their place, spend more, use less, and not take up the "perks" that loyal customers do?  

3 hours ago, topnole said:

Things will change if enough people stop spending.  Until then, they won’t. Simple as that and true for any industry.  

Totally agree.  Of course, when I posted that I was told I "don't care about the crew".