Boston-Maritimes-Greenland when will I need the sea sickness meds?

lissie

We sale from  Boston 29 July: Portland-Sydney-Corner Brook-Red-Bay-seaday-Greenland-sea day-Iceland  6 ports- sea day-Greenland-seaday- St Anthony, St Johns, St Pierre, Halifax, Bar Harbour, Boston 

I get sea sick on a lake but after years of experiments I have a solution a patch called Scopoderm  (not available in the US). The issue is that if I put it on when the sea isn't rough it makes me a bit sick.  And it has to be applied 12 hours in advance (it lasts about 3 days). 

So I'm assuming that the potentially rough parts will be to and from Greenland and maybe around Iceland.  Will be fairly sheltered in the Canadian part of the trip?  What's your experience particularly sailing the first part of Boston- Portland- Sydney - Corner Brook- Red Bay? 

And no  not looking for alternatives - my partner can suck a ginger sweet and feel fine - I've tried everything else incluiding chemo anti- nausea meds - its only the patches that work on me. 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, lissie said:

We sale from  Boston 29 July: Portland-Sydney-Corner Brook-Red-Bay-seaday-Greenland-sea day-Iceland  6 ports- sea day-Greenland-seaday- St Anthony, St Johns, St Pierre, Halifax, Bar Harbour, Boston 

I get sea sick on a lake but after years of experiments I have a solution a patch called Scopoderm  (not available in the US). The issue is that if I put it on when the sea isn't rough it makes me a bit sick.  And it has to be applied 12 hours in advance (it lasts about 3 days). 

So I'm assuming that the potentially rough parts will be to and from Greenland and maybe around Iceland.  Will be fairly sheltered in the Canadian part of the trip?  What's your experience particularly sailing the first part of Boston- Portland- Sydney - Corner Brook- Red Bay? 

And no  not looking for alternatives - my partner can suck a ginger sweet and feel fine - I've tried everything else incluiding chemo anti- nausea meds - its only the patches that work on me. 

We sail NE/CAN all the time mostly and never use it.

We sailed 14 days September and October to NE/CAN to Quebec and back and totally no problem and visited most of your places.

Good Luck.....

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 12:56 PM, CaribbeanBound said:

Scopoderm is available in the USA (or was the last time I cruised anyway).  I typically use half a patch at a time.

I can't find it on Amazon (which is my goto because i can get them to deliver to our arrival city in the US) .  They have patches but they are some un-named herbal - I wouldn't trust those 

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I would  just  bring the brand you are used to

Ditto......We use if needed Dramamine and it works so we use it like others use their personal item for relief.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CaribbeanBound said:

@lissie The last time I filled a prescription, I picked it up at drug a store like CVS and Walgreens.

You probably  need a doctor in the USA to write the RX

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

@lissie The last time I filled a prescription, I picked it up at drug a store like CVS and Walgreens.

Yes I think there is some confusion. I don't have a prescription for the patches - they are OTC medication in NZ . I'm surprised they are not OTC in the US but  apparently that's the case.  I can't get a prescription filled in the USA without a  a US dr - and that most certainly isn't happening  - my travel insurance would not be very impressed! 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

How long is  the cruise?

How often do you change the patch?

25 days - they last 3 days - but you don't want one on if the sea is flat either 

8 minutes ago, lissie said:

25 days - they last 3 days - but you don't want one on if the sea is flat either 

I would take enough to get you through the  cruise

You never know on that route  when the seas will be calm    better to be prepared  if you are sensitive to the motion of the ocean

• Like 1